Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:26 pm 

Hi

I am trying to replace the breach seal on my brothers PP700SA. The "barrel sealing block" that holds the seal in the receiver will not come out of the receiver to allow me to remove the breach seal. I know normally on most guns this piece just spins inside the gun when the barrel is fully screwed in to it.. But this one is wedged in extremely tight. I mean extremely tight. It also will not move after tapping it with a plastic pen body as a dowel from inside the receiver from the barrel end. Barrel is removed of course.

I am wondering because I didn't think I could just pick the seal out of the gun without removing this barrel sealing block. And then replace the seal with out removing this

Does anyone have an idea how to safely get this "barrel sealing block" and or the breach seal out?

I attached a picture of the locaion of the seal. It doesn't just pop out of the groove, like a breech seal on a break barrel airgun.

Any help is very much appreciated!!

Thanks!!
Dave

Attachments:
Screenshot 2021-10-18 5.07.30 PM.png
Screenshot 2021-10-18 5.07.30 PM.png [ 253.9 KiB | Viewed 762 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:53 pm 

..... I remember the seal came off when I removed the barrel to replace it with a longer one...

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:14 pm 

YepYep wrote:
..... I remember the seal came off when I removed the barrel to replace it with a longer one...

Yep there's a sleeve inside the receiver that holds the o-ring and that sleeve also threads onto the barrel. It's the sleeve that is stuck inside the receiver that I can't get out. On my own pp700 the sleeve is free to spin and easily comes out. From what I've gathered on other air gun forums, the sleeve is notorious for being loose and easily spin. Which makes it so weird that I'm having so much trouble getting it out of my brother's PP 700.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:43 pm 

Something bent or stuck in your brother's PP700?!

Mine just looks like your own, I switched barrels a few times, remember even the first time I didn't get any trouble... However I then drilled and tapped 3 holes on the action and use grub screws to fix the barrel because there nothing inside the barrel can hold it on spot, instead it just spins like you said...

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:59 pm 

YepYep wrote:
Something bent or stuck in your brother's PP700?!

Mine just looks like your own, I switched barrels a few times, remember even the first time I didn't get any trouble... However I then drilled and tapped 3 holes on the action and use grub screws to fix the barrel because there nothing inside the barrel can hold it on spot, instead it just spins like you said...

Yeah I honestly have no idea what's holding that piece in there. From what I've seen on the internet and even on my own pp700 ,the sleeve spins freely. I'm wondering if somebody at the factory loctited or put some sort of adhesive inside when they assembled it? Or just terrible manufacturing tolerances and quality control..

The barrel comes out just fine it's just the piece that it screws into in the receiver and breech block is stuck in the gun.. and that piece also holds the breech seal.

Dave

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:06 pm 

If you are just trying to remove the front green seal you should be able to get it out with a dentist pick or even your utiility knife or any thing sharp to pop it out of there. It's not glued in, only friction holding it. If instead you just want that block out, check in case someone tapped a hole under the rear sight and put a set screw in there. It's a handy spot and I've done it several times myself to make that collar stay without spinning.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:43 pm 

wesb2007 wrote:
If you are just trying to remove the front green seal you should be able to get it out with a dentist pick or even your utiility knife or any thing sharp to pop it out of there. It's not glued in, only friction holding it. If instead you just want that block out, check in case someone tapped a hole under the rear sight and put a set screw in there. It's a handy spot and I've done it several times myself to make that collar stay without spinning.

Hey Wes,

It is a new gun bought from you last year, so it doesn't have any after market set screws holding the block. I am not handy enough to do that sort of drill and tap. haha. :D

I couldn't get this breech seal out of my own gun with a plastic pick, which is why I just removed the block from my own gun. thankfully on my PP700, this block is easy to remove.

I can try leaving the block in my brother's gun and using a stronger pick to dig out the seal on my brother's gun, but I was just worried about getting the new one back into the groove as well.

Thanks!
Dave

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:54 pm 

If there is no grub screw pinning into the breech, then I suggest using a 7/16 wooden dowel as a drift, and giving it a few good hard whacks to get it out. A plastic pen body is much too light. There is not much you are going to bugger up in there.
I have two pp700s and have found that the tolerances between the two of them are quite different, one tight and one quite loose. Must be different production runs ore maybe different factories altogether.
JD

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:59 pm 

as Wes said, just use a needle or pick and you should be able to get it out if you don't mind destroying the old oring.

But from the picture the oring looks fine. If you are trying to get a better seal on the breech block, you can tighten it up by screwing in the big silver holding nut. I used a snap ring plier to turn it. Then remember to lube it up with some silicone grease.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:13 pm 

ineedpal wrote:
as Wes said, just use a needle or pick and you should be able to get it out if you don't mind destroying the old oring.

But from the picture the oring looks fine. If you are trying to get a better seal on the breech block, you can tighten it up by screwing in the big silver holding nut. I used a snap ring plier to turn it. Then remember to lube it up with some silicone grease.

Well, we are just trying to put a better quality o ring in there (along with all the other o rings in the gun) , but it's nice to know that it should be doable to just dig it out (even if it needs to be destroyed) and put a new one in. This is what I was wondering about. I don't mind digging out the o ring, but I wondered if a new one could be pressed in without taking that little sleeve out of the gun.

I have tried tightening the valve on my own PP700 with snap ring pliers to get a tighter fit on the breech seal, but there is no more room to tighten it. Poor manufacturing tolerances strikes again. :(

Dave

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:42 am 

I just used a safety pin and pop the seal out. sometimes I overthink these things!!!
I wasn't worried about prying it out with it pin per se, it was when I went to put a new one in I thought she hard to pop it in but turns out no problem putting a new seal in there at all.

Thanks for all the great ideas.

Dave

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:24 pm 

Great!

Sent from my RMX2111 using Tapatalk