Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:28 pm 

Brand new to all this

BC and indeed municipal law all over the lower mainland (vancouver area) is pretty strictly "no" to the discharge of anything that looks like a firearm that isn't on a designated and registered range.
I live in the Township of Langley area, and baring in mind that i'm just information gathering at this point, is there a map or guide or something available somwhere that can show me a hilighted "no area" or hilight allowable area that is reasonably reachable in the bush/brush/woods that wont bother anybody, and wont get anyone in trouble?

I figure this is a pretty common concern that most have figured out in my area, but the information is quite scattered and frustrating to parse what is even relevant anymore

Thank you and apologies for the newbie question, just looking for modern up to date information on this stuff

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:36 pm 

I gave up on plinking in the bush. All it takes is someone making a phone call and hassles can pile up. We shoot at a local range because it makes things much simpler.

Our range is just east of Hope and we have members from Langley, and even Tsawwassen. If you're interested in shooting with two or three air gunners on a Wednesday, PM and we can talk.

Webley Viscount .177
Kral Mega Marine Walnut .22
Artemis PP750 .22
FX Streamline .22 walnut
FX Streamline .22 composite
FX Dynamic 500 .22

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:21 pm 

Normk wrote:
I gave up on plinking in the bush. All it takes is someone making a phone call and hassles can pile up. We shoot at a local range because it makes things much simpler.

Man, that's a damn shame :(

Normk wrote:
Our range is just east of Hope and we have members from Langley, and even Tsawwassen. If you're interested in shooting with two or three air gunners on a Wednesday, PM and we can talk.

At this point that kind of sounds like what I need to do, but going towards Hope seems like an awfully long way to go to do this... zero disrespect meant to that and all the power to those who can make it out there. But, that being said, there is an outdoor range out in Langely called the Langley Rod & Gun Club i'd been meaning to check out. I have no idea if they allow airguns or not though, guess I should find out

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:58 pm 

Too, you could contact the Maple Ridge Gun club. That is what I would do.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:59 pm 

That's a shame . The anti's are gaining, only because we are nice guys. It's high time we stand up for ourselves and our sport. Being complisite only works if you want to die. Ya, some days it might cost us a tooth, so what.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:40 pm 

Here in Southern Ontario most of the land is under private ownership. Crown land is scarce. Your best bet might be approaching farmers or other landowners and asking permission. You never know, they might want to shoot with you. Talking to the planning department people in the townships around you will also give you direction, good or bad lol. What govt arm that looks after hunting in BC should also be able to point you to crown land or other areas that allow the discharge of firearms. What you don't want to do is trespass on private property.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:07 pm 

So far as I know, not single projectile shooting is allowed on the valley floor and precious little shot gun, even on private land.

Unlike a chronic, violent repeat offender, a law-abiding gun owner is liable to be in serious trouble for some paper infraction, IMO. <do I sound bitter>

Renewal time is coming up for many ranges, so it might be worthwhile to make inquiries as getting into one of the clubs is increasingly difficult.

Clubs/ranges have limits on membership in many cases, presumably for insurance reasons but I haven't inquired. That many maintain membership because or RPAL fills the numbers, despite that many never go.

In addition, I've spoken to a number who have membership at more than one range, often at quite some distance.

We have members from Surrey, Tsawwassen, and up the Fraser Canyon.

Webley Viscount .177
Kral Mega Marine Walnut .22
Artemis PP750 .22
FX Streamline .22 walnut
FX Streamline .22 composite
FX Dynamic 500 .22

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:58 pm 

I would not talk to the BC government as they just implemented a new firearm law that basically restricts us more than the federal laws.

I understand our local club has grown from 250 to 900+ in a few years.