Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:38 pm 

Hi all. I have a sub 495 fps WF600 that I bought this spring from CSS. Looking to increase fps to make this an effective weapon for pest control and extend my target plinking range. Does anybody know which off the shelf Crosman part(s) I could order to get me to about 600 fps or beyond? Have any of you done a similar mod? Seems that a Crosman B18-00-4D piston like the one in the Phantom/Quest/Storm might work, according to some reading that I've done online but I can't find any write-ups about the .22. Only about .177.

Gamo Speedster Gen2 .22
Crosman Icon .22
Air Venturi Avenger .22

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:53 pm 
Supporting Members

Do you have your PAL?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:05 am 

I guess I should chime in here. I have had an RPAL since they were created.
My .22 WF is tuned extensively. It has a Crosman piston seal conversion, increased stroke length (and concomitant swept volume increase), metal spring guide and top hat, piston liner, and OEM rebuild kit spring. While a stock B3 piston can be converted to accept a Crosman piston seal, a Crosman piston cannot be used in a B3 due to the sear/trigger incompatibility.
It's consistent, accurate, and not real hold sensitive. It's maxed out at 498 fps with H&N Sport 13.77gr pellets. (Still non-pal)
I tried the .122" wire full power Crosman spring. The gun's shot cycle was very harsh. Lots of vibration. The rifle felt like it was shaking itself to pieces. Velocity increase? 10fps! Totally not worth it.
So, to answer your question, you're not going to get 600fps out of a .22 B3. However, 450 fps in .22 will anchor pests up to squirrel size with head shots. I didn't mention range, since reliable offhand hits on targets the size of a squirrel's head will be within it's effective killing range.

Nothing works and I don't know why.

Two lathes and too many projects

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:29 am 
Site Moderator

You could order the Crosman 4B mainspring (33 coils, .118" wire) so you have a spare but it won't give you much more power over the OEM spring, if any.

You could fill the end of your seal post with epoxy so you can maintain the speed you are getting now. Without filling the post you will have a gradual decrease in speed as the seal experiences what I call "trampoline effect" and flexes inwards during the shot to reduce compression. Eventually the seal cracks in the center from too much flexing. You might pick up a tiny bit of speed after you fill the post on a newer rifle. You will see more speed if your rifle has seen a lot of lead and the seal has stretched into the post divot. It's pretty much a free upgrade that only costs you a gob of epoxy. The Crosman/Gamo seal change is much better giving you a more durable seal, solid non-flexing seal post and a thinner seal for more volume.

https://target-tune.in/international/pr ... fullSite=1

As Rick mentioned, the piston liner is also a great addition to the B3/WF-600. The rifle becomes a quiet shooter without all the annoying spring twang. Just a thump when shooting. Liners can be made from a large yogurt container or something similar (approx .027" thickness).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:45 am 

notec wrote:
Do you have your PAL?

Still waiting on it. I'm retired so I have lots of time to plan ahead. For me, pest control season is 6 months away.
:D

Gamo Speedster Gen2 .22
Crosman Icon .22
Air Venturi Avenger .22

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:04 am 

For a piston liner, I don't happen to have any yogurt containers on hand and I was wondering if a 2L pop bottle would work?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:37 am 
Site Moderator

Headdamage wrote:
For a piston liner, I don't happen to have any yogurt containers on hand and I was wondering if a 2L pop bottle would work?

My WF-600 would probably work best with a liner thickness of around .020"-.022". I installed a .027" thick yogurt container liner and it was very tight. It took a while to break-in. After around 600-700 pellets I dismantled and cleaned out some micro pieces of plastic that were shed from the liner (abrasion). The micro pieces all stayed in the piston, stuck to spring and liner, so it was no big deal to clean. A slightly thinner liner would have been a better start but what I have is now close to a perfect fit. I did try a piece of .015" thick plastic from a clear clamshell cookie container. It was too thin so I got spring twang again. I'm not sure on the thickness of a plastic pop bottle. You will immediately know if it's too thin when you insert the spring. If the spring drops in easily with a sloppy fit, then you will still have twang/vibration.

You might be able to shim a pop bottle liner with tape on the outside. You could experiment with layers of tape to find how much works best. The tape will be tightly sandwiched between the liner and piston wall so it should be fine. Tune the liner for a precise fit.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:10 pm 

I mentioned this in a post quite a while ago...
Picture this: Old geezer (me) in the dairy department of Safeway, gently squeezing various yogurt containers (looking for just the right plastic thickness). No grocery cart, no hand basket. Other shoppers smiled knowingly. (Dementia?)
Then a slow shuffle up to the checkouts with a slight smile on my face and a single container of yogurt clutched tight to my chest.
I couldn't resist playing it up to the max.

Nothing works and I don't know why.

Two lathes and too many projects

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:33 pm 

You are lucky someone didn't call the cops ;)