Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 10:32 am 

Does anyone know where I can send my HW 80 .22 to be tuned?
Keep in mind I live in Montreal, QC, CA area, so not sure if sending to the UK is an option.

Currently I can't for the life of me shoot consistent groups. I always shoot 5 shot groups. Best I can shoot at 45' (15m) is 3/4" groups... and not even consistently at that.
Sometimes I can get a couple of 3/4" groups at 45' (15m), then it's sporadic.
I've tried different pellets: JSB 15.89, JSB Heavy 18.13, JSB Hades 15.89, H&N FTT 14.66, H&N Baracuda 18.21... Best groups are JSB 15.89 and JSB Hades 15.89 (but can’t find a store with Hades .22 in stock anymore).
Rifle is shooting around 17.5 FT/lbs. (tested velocity with FX chrono and then used online calculator)
I purchased rifle new out of box a few years ago and since then replaced original spring with HW80 Soft R1 Tune Kit.
I’ve been shooting at 14 magnification using a Discovery HS 6-24x50SFIR scope (my previous scope broke from too much kick from rifle). Maybe this scope if broken too? Which is why POA and POI are not consistant?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:00 am 

Hi Jorg. Maybe the rifle is already well tuned but you have difficulty controlling it. From your previous posts you have had difficulties shooting your Silverfox .177 magnum springer as well as this HW80 magnum springer. The double recoil of a springer is somewhat difficult to manage and control. and you won't be able to shoot groups until you master the hold and follow through needed. Perhaps start of with a non-PAL or low power PAL (10-12 ftlb) and master the techniques before spending $ on an already tuned HW80? I may be barking up the wrong tree, and if you already mastered this skill then please ignore this dribble. :drinkers:

))))----//----------==

Iacio ergo sum

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:10 am 

What do u need tuned exactly?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:10 am 

Jorg wrote:
Keep in mind I live in Montreal, QC, CA area, so not sure if sending to the UK is an option.

Currently I can't for the life of me shoot consistent groups. I always shoot 5 shot groups. Best I can shoot at 45' (15m) is 3/4" groups... and not even consistently at that.
Sometimes I can get a couple of 3/4" groups at 45' (15m), then it's sporadic.
I've tried different pellets: JSB 15.89, JSB Heavy 18.13, JSB Hades 15.89, H&N FTT 14.66, H&N Baracuda 18.21... Best groups are JSB 15.89 and JSB Hades 15.89 (but can’t find a store with Hades .22 in stock anymore).
Rifle is shooting around 17.5 FT/lbs. (tested velocity with FX chrono and then used online calculator)
I purchased rifle new out of box a few years ago and since then replaced original spring with HW80 Soft R1 Tune Kit.
I’ve been shooting at 14 magnification using a Discovery HS 6-24x50SFIR scope (my previous scope broke from too much kick from rifle). Maybe this scope if broken too? Which is why POA and POI are not consistant?

Tuning it will do nothing i have shot a dozen 80 new from box they settle down with shooting .Springers are hard to shoot properly some people will suggest https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dQ44J6LlTA I hate that name we shot our springers that why be fore there was a internet but it is the right way ....You could de tune it but don't and try it with open sights all these cheap scope out cause there own problems ................

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:11 am 

Dukemeister wrote:
Hi Jorg. Maybe the rifle is already well tuned but you have difficulty controlling it. From your previous posts you have had difficulties shooting your Silverfox .177 magnum springer as well as this HW80 magnum springer. The double recoil of a springer is somewhat difficult to manage and control. and you won't be able to shoot groups until you master the hold and follow through needed. Perhaps start of with a non-PAL or low power PAL (10-12 ftlb) and master the techniques before spending $ on an already tuned HW80? I may be barking up the wrong tree, and if you already mastered this skill then please ignore this dribble. :drinkers:

I agree with this post also

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:06 pm 

Perhaps people are right in that I need to learn how to shoot a springer, however I’m just thinking that if I go on that assumption and keep practicing with my HW80 and scope, and there actually is something that needs correction on the rifle or scope, then I am continuing to practice and loose patience with something that’s not entirely my fault. I was thinking if someone with experience could confirm the rifle and scope are fine then it would confirm the issue is I need more practice. Or maybe someone could ‘tame’ it down some more to make it easier to shoot? Or suggest a kit for me to tame it? (currently shooting 17.5 ft/lbs)
I shoot my 22LR with satisfying groups and would like the same with my air rifle.
Should I look into getting a different rifle that is easier to shoot and learn with that before using a HW80? (when teaching someone new how to drive a car you don’t start them with a Lamborghini, you start with an easier to drive car like a Toyota Carolla?)

thanks

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:48 pm 

Jorg wrote:

I corresponded with Sandwell Sports (Tony?) in the UK about getting stage 1 to 3 tuneups done to my HW97.
Tony said he could receive the rifle and do the work, but couldn't send the gun back to me.
If others there can do this, or if he can now, I don't know.
Since then, I have found this rifle is accurate enough, without being "tuned" and is not picky on technique like
many springers are, especially the higher powdered "magnum" types.

Enter HW80 in .177.
The top target was shot at 50-some feet (16.6 yards), rest, with the open sights only.
A brand new m80 in .177 did this for me, at 10 meters with it's open iron sights & a scope.
With a desk-top computer, & after left clicking on the pictures, holding the Ctrl button down and using the + key or scroll function on a mouse, will enlarge the pictures further.
Holding the Ctrl plus the 0 (zero) key will return the screen to normal size & so will the back button. I found I had to try different pellets as these guns can be fussy. Best results at the longer
range waswith the 10.5 gr. Crossman Utra Mag & with 10.34gr. JSB Heavies.
These targets were shot using a bench rest, no rear bag and with the forend resting in the middle on the sand bag, so not an artillery hold, per se'.

Attachments:
IMG_2814.JPG
IMG_2814.JPG [ 162.09 KiB | Viewed 815 times ]
IMG_2815.JPG
IMG_2815.JPG [ 152.18 KiB | Viewed 815 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:28 pm 

Hi Jorg,

Excuse me if you've tried this already. Just wondering if you're holding the rifle at the balance point? This will vary going irons or scoped (and between scope weights too ofc). You're basically trying to stabilize your rifle as much as possible so that it resists all the forces wanting to move it during the shot cycle. Saw a tip in the UK forums a long time ago advising to use the forestock screwholes as reference so you're holding at the same spot every single time. Terrible, it wasn't the balance point and I could feel the rifle fighting me. In fairness, that probably works for their lower-recoiling sub12 springers.

Also found that pausing before breaking second stage helped a lot too. Take up all of the first. Hold. Hold breath. Then break. And the usual hold and follow through.

Thought your seal may have burnt out and piston slamming when you mentioned 17ish fpe but you did say you put a soft tune kit in so we'll rule that out. Then there's just the stock screws to check (they always work loose on my 19ish fpe 22cal).

But yeah, try holding it in your hand on the balance point first, regardless if you use a sandbag or not.

Good luck buddy!

Attachments:
20211030_174720.jpg
20211030_174720.jpg [ 333.7 KiB | Viewed 778 times ]
20211030_174625.jpg
20211030_174625.jpg [ 407.27 KiB | Viewed 778 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 2:19 pm 

I have an HW80K that is detuned to 640 fps with .22 caliber RWS superdomes. The spring used is from a Diana 48 and has a plastic liner around it. I did not actually do the work it was purchased like that from a friend of a friend that likes to work with the Diana springs. The shot cycle feels really nice with a good thunk and no real buzz at all.

Being an HW 80 though I did some reading about how powerful they can be so ordered a new HW80 main spring for it with a new seal. Smoothed out the ends of the spring and applied some moly paste and and thought I was off to the races! The rifle was shooting 750 fps with the Superdomes but it was not as much fun to shoot anymore. It had a really hard shot cycle and buzz and actually would give me a sore trigger finger after several shots. It is a seriously hard hitting rifle thats for sure but to tell you the truth I enjoy shooting my HW85 in .177 a lot more due to the narrower piston diameter and lighter spring. So I ended up detuning the 80 which is again doing 640 fps in .22 and is an absolute pleasure to shoot casually out to 30 yards. I shoot it with a peep sight so it has a fairly decent balance to it being such a heavy rifle to start with.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:16 pm 

Jorg wrote:
Perhaps people are right in that I need to learn how to shoot a springer, however I’m just thinking that if I go on that assumption and keep practicing with my HW80 and scope, and there actually is something that needs correction on the rifle or scope, then I am continuing to practice and loose patience with something that’s not entirely my fault. I was thinking if someone with experience could confirm the rifle and scope are fine then it would confirm the issue is I need more practice. Or maybe someone could ‘tame’ it down some more to make it easier to shoot? Or suggest a kit for me to tame it? (currently shooting 17.5 ft/lbs)
I shoot my 22LR with satisfying groups and would like the same with my air rifle.
Should I look into getting a different rifle that is easier to shoot and learn with that before using a HW80? (when teaching someone new how to drive a car you don’t start them with a Lamborghini, you start with an easier to drive car like a Toyota Carolla?)

thanks

I live in mtl I could check the rifle with you at the range and we'll go from there.
I will pm you for my number

Weirhauch HW100 .22
Gamo Expomatic .177
Benjamin Marauder DougP custom stock
Theoben SlR98 .22
AlEx Custom gun .22 (JezX built masterpiece) :)
Hatsan Atp2