Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 8:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 12:43 am 

There was discussion on russian air-gun website. Coaches say that with entry level MP651 airpistol (1000 gramm trigger pull) teenagers can stay in "8" zone, but with the same pistol and 500 gramm trigger pull they can go in stable "9" zone. Any comments?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 6:36 am 

Trigger weight is a big big element of accuracy with pistol and rifle, if the gun move everytime to shoot accuracy was hard to get. If you never know extacly when the gun will shoot same thing.

500g is the minium for issf competition, the concern is for safety under that you can shoot when you dont want.

Slavia 630
Daisy 853c
Crosman 422
Beeman p-17
TAU 7
2200 magnum

Last edited by matou2041 on Mon Nov 08, 2021 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 6:43 am 

A lighter trigger pull always helps on better scores as the gun can fire without being affected by 'pulling to aside'...

However lighter pull sometimes related to safety issue or not more keeping its necessary performance if it's too light. So we praise those good triggers~

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:18 am 

While true a lighter trigger does make scoring easier there are other factors that play a much larger role. Just the activation of your index finger while pulling the trigger causes movement. You need a lot of practice to become accustomed to how your body and perception reacts to this action. It's why dry fire is so important. Have you seen what competitors of precision pistol can do? Thier triggers are at 2lbs or more and it doesn't seems to reduce scoring at all. You'd be amazed what people can do in PPC with DA revolvers with +5 lbs trigger weight.

Sure get your trigger set so you are comfortable then go practice. Don't overly fuss over equipment in general. Just go practice.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 12:19 pm 

matou2041 wrote:
Trigger weight is a big big element of accuracy with pistol and rifle, if the gun move everytime to shoot accuracy was hard to get. If you never know extacly when the gun will shoot same thing.

500g is the minium for issf competition, the concern is for safety under that you can shoot when you dont want.

Thanks! I saw 2300 among your guns. Is it Crosman 2300T ? They are not produced any more... looks cool ))

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 12:21 pm 

YepYep wrote:
A lighter trigger pull always helps on better scores as the gun can fire without being affected by 'pulling to aside'...

However lighter pull sometimes related to safety issue or not more keeping its necessary performance if it's too light. So we praise those good triggers~

To my mind IZH46 has too light trigger

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 12:37 pm 

My FWB model 2 had a trigger pull of 2 ounces(56.7grams). I thought it was perfect.
1000grams is 2.2 pounds, or 1 kilo. IMHO - that is way to much for a handgun, especially
an air or CO2 powered gun, due, in part (mostly) to the barrel time of the pellet.
Our 3-position rifles in the 1980's and 1990's were allowed 1 kilo trigger pull, but that if from
a 10 pound rifle shot prone, kneeling and standing was was very nice.
In the 1970's the 3-position trigger pull needed to pick up a 3 pound weight.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 4:21 pm 

Sergei1950 wrote:
matou2041 wrote:

Thanks! I saw 2300 among your guns. Is it Crosman 2300T ? They are not produced any more... looks cool ))

It s not 2300t is a 2240 with modification, serie 2300 valve with the inside reducer, a crosman 10.1" .177 barrel. Lpa mim sight. Other modification was not conform to the 2300t, custom trigger adjustement (around 1 pound at minimum) long steel breech, trigger shoe and the muzzle brake of the 2300s. Target grip.

The 2300t still aviable but cost 250$. I had a 2240 sleeping on the shelf and it cost me 188$ to convert to 2300t style all the other thing like trigger grip muzzle brake trigger cost me the same to have no matter the basic base.

Slavia 630
Daisy 853c
Crosman 422
Beeman p-17
TAU 7
2200 magnum

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:22 am 

Sergei1950 wrote:
To my mind IZH46 has too light trigger

[emoji38] don't use gloves and don't shoot it at the sane session with other guns like replicas~ you can get use to it~ just be careful on the first a few shots and your finger knows how to shoot it then ~

My FWB300 looks has a slightly lighter trigger than the 46M...

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:39 am 

Daryl wrote:
My FWB model 2 had a trigger pull of 2 ounces(56.7grams). I thought it was perfect.
1000grams is 2.2 pounds, or 1 kilo. IMHO - that is way to much for a handgun, especially
an air or CO2 powered gun, due, in part (mostly) to the barrel time of the pellet.
Our 3-position rifles in the 1980's and 1990's were allowed 1 kilo trigger pull, but that if from
a 10 pound rifle shot prone, kneeling and standing was was very nice.
In the 1970's the 3-position trigger pull needed to pick up a 3 pound weight.

2 oz? Wow. Now that's trigger finger control. I would blow by the first stage and misfire. Even at 500g (17oz) I have troubles firing when I'm not ready. My 10m rifle on the other hand is probably around 200g but that's an entirely different discipline. I actually prefer a bit more weight so there is a bit of positive action to inititate the shot cycle, which ofcourse is contray to most teachings.

My sister uses a compact exactly for shorter shot cycle. Interesting because she is easily the better shot in ppc and percision pistol. I have her in air though using a standard version AP of the same model.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:23 pm 

Perfect practice, makes for perfection.
The Model 2 had a 2 stage trigger - yard back on it until it comes up hard, then touch it off - total 2 ounces.
It was like 1/2 ounce for the first stage - barely feel it. I stiffened it up before selling it, years ago now.
With my old fingers, I had to sand my trigger finger to make it more sensitive.
My gopher rifles (CZ 527's) all had single set triggers set for 4 ounces.
My muzzleloading rifles with set triggers are also set at 4 ounces. My hunting ML rifle has a 2 pound (32oz.) trigger
same with my modern rifles (Mausers) with adjustable triggers.
Even my #4 has a single stage 3 pound trigger & quite crisp for a modified Enfield.
You can't do good work, with a lousy trigger.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:24 pm 

jckstrthmghty wrote:
2 oz? Wow. Now that's trigger finger control. I would blow by the first stage and misfire.

Terminology is important in this, and most endeavors. A misfire, is when you pull the trigger and the gun and/or ctg. does not go off. The gun misses fire, it misfires.
It is not used when you miss. A miss is a miss, not a misfire. When the term misfire came about, a misfire was described as "when the charge fails to manifest itself".
This was common to the era, muzzleloading & mostly in mostly in military weapons after having been fired multiple times. Fouling would build up in the ignition systems
and cause "misfires".

Centre-fire Bench Rest rifles today, usually have 2 ounce triggers (CanJar were the oldest 2 ounce triggers I recall) as well as numerous match PCP and CO2 rifles with
adjustable triggers. it takes good trigger geometry and a well made device to be a safe 2 ounce trigger.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:23 pm 

Daryl wrote:

Terminology is important in this, and most endeavors. A misfire, is when you pull the trigger and the gun and/or ctg. does not go off. The gun misses fire, it misfires.
It is not used when you miss. A miss is a miss, not a misfire. When the term misfire came about, a misfire was described as "when the charge fails to manifest itself".
This was common to the era, muzzleloading & mostly in mostly in military weapons after having been fired multiple times. Fouling would build up in the ignition systems
and cause "misfires".

Centre-fire Bench Rest rifles today, usually have 2 ounce triggers (CanJar were the oldest 2 ounce triggers I recall) as well as numerous match PCP and CO2 rifles with
adjustable triggers. it takes good trigger geometry and a well made device to be a safe 2 ounce trigger.

You are of course absolutely correct. In laziness I used the wrong terminology.