Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:39 pm 
Site Moderator

A friend has a .22cal Diana 24 that is shooting healthy but he wants more power (he has a PAL). This D24 is currently shooting around 480fps with 14.3gr pellets so it likely has a full power mainspring. Has anyone installed a slightly heavier spring in a .22cal D24 and seen improvement without extreme harshness? I haven't pulled this rifle apart yet but assume the spring has a .560"ID and around .105-.110 wire thickness.

I realize that the swept volume on this rifle is short so power improvement is limited. I'm just curious to hear if anyone has had success and how they got there.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:54 pm 
Supporting Members

Mine was shooting 430 out of the box, and with a lube and tune it settled in at 460........There wasnt much room to put a longer spring in it. So you would have to go with a thicker coil......

Attachments:
P6250032.JPG
P6250032.JPG [ 158.47 KiB | Viewed 748 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 4:11 pm 

Did you look at this topic8421.html

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 5:23 pm 
Site Moderator

lauchlin wrote:
Did you look at this topic8421.html

Yup, I read that one from 2006. That was 15 years ago and I noticed that I posted on it as well.

I was hoping to find a .550" to .560"ID spring so a custom guide wouldn't be needed. A simple spring swap would be nice. If a custom guide is needed then maybe the best bet would be to adapt to the cheapo Crosman B18 line of springs. The Crosman 4B is .118" wire but a .475" guide would be needed.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 2:33 am 

Is there any way to lengthen the stroke?
I'm not familiar with the gun... But with way too much effort I was able to gain some with a 350 clone. Shorter latch rod, longer cocking arm slot and I actually had to file a bit of material off the barrel block. Wasn't really worth the effort. I gained a few fps then ended up going back to the normal stroke as the recoil was noticeably worse.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:20 am 

I've had a Diana 24 that had washers in there to increase the preload. This got it very close to 500fps. However, I found the shot cycle to be much harsher. I don't think the 24 is a good platform for increasing power. It's too light of a springer to handle stronger spring vibration and buzz.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:18 am 
Site Moderator

The rifle is in very nice condition so my friend wouldn't be too fond of me chopping or cutting his OEM parts for experiments. He was hoping a simple spring swap would give a bit more power. I'm guessing that if it was that simple then Diana would have been using the stronger spring already.

It would be interesting to try a .115" to .118" wire spring with a snug piston liner to see the results. The liner might help tame the rifle to keep it comfortable.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:52 pm 

I have a Diana 280 that I bought from the forum store, I also bought the Diana full power spring to put in it. The fps is up in the low 600s (personally I thought it would have been a bit higher). It changed the feel of the rifle too with a noticeable thwack with each shot now.