Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 3:13 pm 

Sorry - my misunderstanding - I thought you were talking about GROUND squirrels.
When I was a kid, I shot a lot of black and greys, the odd fox squirrel, in SW Ontario
using a .177 Slavia low powered air rifle. Seemed to work well for me, but a larger
borrowed German Air rifle was much flatter shooting and hit harder as well - also .177.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:27 pm 

Maybe 21 fpe is to much for a squirell?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:54 pm 

Squirrels will tell you; "Size Matters".

As previously mentioned, shot placement is paramount in Hunting and Pesting applications but... If your shot isn't exactly on point a larger/heavier projectile can make the difference between a crawl/jet-away and anchored/DRT.

Some animals (like Eastern Gray Squirrels) are "Hot Wired". Even with a direct hit to the fuse box the rear legs and tail can continue to thrust and kick propelling the brain dead animal for yards beyond the point of impact. Others like Rabbits may have one last jump/flip but generally tend to flop over dead.

I have no experience with Marmots/Ground Hogs, Nutria, Muskrat, Beaver as they are not classified as invasive species, nor are they attractive to me as a protein source; but if they were within "my range" I have no doubt about the M11's ability to kill them ethically.

Diana Chaser Carbine .22
Artemis M11 .25
Artemis PP800 Chaser Fusion .25
FX Dreamline Lite .25
Artemis PP750 .22

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:03 pm 

I've never eaten swamp rabbit (muskrat) or nutria, but have eaten a beaver stew that was exceptionally good. I've eaten woodchuck as well as the largest of
the marmot species, the Hoary Marmot. The Marmots were better than ground hog - more tender as well. That might have been due to shooting them in October
above the ski hill on Hudson's bay Mountain - about 1977/8, I guess. They were VERY fat and the fat, tried out, was an excellent water proofing boot dressing as
well as an excellent patch lube for my muzzleloading rifles. The next year Marmots were listed as protected. I had about a gallon of oil from the ones I had .458'd.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:33 am 

Sorry, I thought this post was about the "Artemis m11 mk2 .25cal"

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:43 am 

Rupertt wrote:
Squirrels will tell you; "Size Matters".

As previously mentioned, shot placement is paramount in Hunting and Pesting applications but... If your shot isn't exactly on point a larger/heavier projectile can make the difference between a crawl/jet-away and anchored/DRT.

Some animals (like Eastern Gray Squirrels) are "Hot Wired". Even with a direct hit to the fuse box the rear legs and tail can continue to thrust and kick propelling the brain dead animal for yards beyond the point of impact. Others like Rabbits may have one last jump/flip but generally tend to flop over dead.

I have no experience with Marmots/Ground Hogs, Nutria, Muskrat, Beaver as they are not classified as invasive species, nor are they attractive to me as a protein source; but if they were within "my range" I have no doubt about the M11's ability to kill them ethically.

Ya I mean an upper body shot like above the rib cage usualy stops or anchors a squirrel but with the 14.3 gr hollow points i have had times with even one shot upper body and another quick follow up the squirrel will still go running into the forest like 20 25 yards I think at 21 fpe the pellet just goes right threw them and they dont even know there hit until there adrenaline rush wears off and with a .22 upper body shots almost always hit vitals lung or heart.....grabbing the artemis on black friday in .25 with some heavy slugs see how the squirrels handle that

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:04 pm 

The 14.34 or 14.43 Crossman HP's in .22 cal. do not expand well. They seem to be a very hard pellet.
I suggest you try Predators, in 16.0gr. They proved to be exceptionally goo in my .177 HW & even tough
starting out at almost 900fps, never exited, except for on the odd head shot exit on gophers.
One an animal is wounded, successive hits unless brain or spine, will rarely anchor them. Adrenalin boost
is the reason.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:43 pm 

Squirrels i use hunt master AR6 and Eunjin 35.8 gr under 50 yards they don't move ever job done .... 8)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:37 pm 

Ya 35.8 gr pellet gotta do the trick I bought 34 grain pellets in .22 but they didn't fit my magazine :(

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:26 pm 

lauchlin wrote:
Squirrels i use hunt master AR6 and Eunjin 35.8 gr under 50 yards they don't move ever job done .... 8)
I lied this is what i was shooting .

Attachments:
IMG_2858.jpg
IMG_2858.jpg [ 430.29 KiB | Viewed 291 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:52 pm 

Still - that is a very heavy pellet for .22 cal.
I find my .25 MX9 Aselkon prefers the 33.95gr. JSB RN.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:07 am 

I had one that were 31 gr they fit in the magazine but they were a bit to long to insert the magazine in the breach

They worked good in my hw97k with the sho vortex kit shooting at 425 fps lool

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:37 pm 

Daryl wrote:
The 14.34 or 14.43 Crossman HP's in .22 cal. do not expand well. They seem to be a very hard pellet.
I suggest you try Predators, in 16.0gr. They proved to be exceptionally good in my .177 HW & even tough
starting out at almost 900fps, never exited, except for on the odd head shot exit on gophers.

One an animal is wounded, successive hits unless brain or spine, will rarely anchor them. Adrenalin boost
is the reason.

The highlighted was with the 8gr. Predator in a .177 HW97, not a .22 cal.