Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:12 pm 

If replacing the stock 10" barrel with a long one, eg 14" barrel, is it possible to drill out the stock front barrel band to accommodate the longer barrel? I can't see why this wouldn't work, but asking to make sure I've covered all bases.

))))----//----------==

Iacio ergo sum

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:38 pm 

Yep you can do that. Only problem is the only real thing holding the barrel from sliding is the transfer port. Unless you're using a steel breech. Guess you could drill it out to be a tight fit.
Guys used to use 2289 barrel bands. They worked ok but rocked a bit when the pump linkage bumps it. Makes for ugly vertical group spreads.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:43 pm 

Thanks killercrow, yes I'm converting to steel breach, shoulder stock and long barrel, effectively a 2289g lookalike. And I'll be adding a bug buster scope which I believe is only possible with the steel breach upgrade.

))))----//----------==

Iacio ergo sum

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:48 pm 

Yes you can but of course you will have to do a very neat and precise job or it will look like s#%t and it will bother you so much you'll end up just buying the proper barrel band... :D

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:55 pm 

No problem! Yeah just a word of caution, those plastic barrel bands grab onto a 7/16"drill bit real hard. Now I don't remember if the 1377 has the flat cut into it? Well the 2240 front sights, if you're drilling one of those out make sure you put it in a vise. He-man method hurts. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:05 pm 

MyCrosman wrote:
Yes you can but of course you will have to do a very neat and precise job or it will look like s#%t and it will bother you so much you'll end up just buying the proper barrel band... :D

Hmm, maybe I'll need to use a reamer? Or buy a 2289 barrel band from Crosman if such a part is available.

))))----//----------==

Iacio ergo sum

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:21 pm 

https://crosman.ca/cen/788b011-barrel-support.html
Looks like you may have to just do a very neat job.....

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 10:03 am 

I drilled my 1322 barrel band when adding a 24 inch barrel and it has worked well. BUT as said already the material can/does grab a drill bit, so I snuck up on the drill size and finished using the drill bit n my fingers and left a slight rough finish in the hole. Now the barrel has to be pushed into the band and requires slight to medium effort to slide it forward during assembly.

I couldn't afford more parts and not set up for online ordering anyway, but I also believe these things are fun when they are cheap and easy to access and operate casually - it's a black hole of never ending disatisfaction once afflicted with 'upgrade-itis' pertaining to hobbies and tools etc therefore whenever possible I use resources already in hand, and it adds to one's understanding of the machine besides.

Typically I will use a wrap, or half wrap as required, of vinyl electrical tape on the muzzle that resides under the band, especially on older 13xx that have the short angled band/sight, to help firm up the barrel and maintain more consistent accuracy by lessening the flexing during pumping etc. Keeping things from moving and flexing in numerous places all adds up. You know already, I'm sure, but worth mentioning that when pumping try to keep the swing of the fore stock in same plane as barrel etc. I've seen people flap these things like a duck lifting off a short pond and one can't imho control the flex, and causes more wear, that way.

So... yes it can be done, you will need several drill sizes below your final intended size, and finish it by hand - test fitting as you go - will take you less than ten minutes.

That saves time which means you can spend more time at CAF - and that's a good thing! :wink:

Attachments:
File comment: Crosman 1322 with drilled barrel band
IMG_1104 1007x556 01b.jpg
IMG_1104 1007x556 01b.jpg [ 625.67 KiB | Viewed 980 times ]

"As to the evil which results from censorship, it is impossible to measure it, because it is impossible to tell where it ends."
- Jeremy Bentham

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 10:15 am 

Phantom Payne wrote:
I drilled my 1322 barrel band when adding a 24 inch barrel and it has worked well. BUT as said already the material can/does grab a drill bit, so I snuck up on the drill size and finished using the drill bit n my fingers and left a slight rough finish in the hole. Now the barrel has to be pushed into the band and requires slight to medium effort to slide it forward during assembly.

I couldn't afford more parts and not set up for online ordering anyway, but I also believe these things are fun when they are cheap and easy to access and operate casually - it's a black hole of never ending disatisfaction once afflicted with 'upgrade-itis' pertaining to hobbies and tools etc therefore whenever possible I use resources already in hand, and it adds to one's understanding of the machine besides.

Typically I will use a wrap, or half wrap as required, of vinyl electrical tape on the muzzle that resides under the band, especially on older 13xx that have the short angled band/sight, to help firm up the barrel and maintain more consistent accuracy by lessening the flexing during pumping etc. Keeping things from moving and flexing in numerous places all adds up. You know already, I'm sure, but worth mentioning that when pumping try to keep the swing of the fore stock in same plane as barrel etc. I've seen people flap these things like a duck lifting off a short pond and one can't imho control the flex, and causes more wear, that way.

So... yes it can be done, you will need several drill sizes below your final intended size, and finish it by hand - test fitting as you go - will take you less than ten minutes.

That saves time which means you can spend more time at CAF - and that's a good thing! :wink:

I hear you, and I try to repurposed as much as possible too. But, i had to order a 1399 shoulder stock anyhow so I just added a 760 barrel band and that seems to work fine. Now I have parts, I can revert to a 10" barrel with foresight. That's a nice looking pumper you have there. very clean lines. Over the holidays I'm hoping to get some time to do pellet testing and practice my pumping techniques. Cheers.

))))----//----------==

Iacio ergo sum

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 3:17 pm 

Dukemeister, that makes sense if you're already ordering, for me every dollar counts as I don't have much so it's just the default path for me.

You can see the front sight is still on mine, if I were to order a front band I would select one from the M4-177 since it has a picatinny rail which could be useful... if the accessory clears the travel of the pump arm. I have a small flashlight on a M4 that the pump arm does contact just barely but everything functions and I don't lose any power. A small laser could mount there also if that was desired.

My 1322 is bone stock, has about thirty odd pellets through it. I added the steel breech, barrel, brake, longer bolt handle (better for loading after scope installed), and the Bushnell 3-9x40 scope and new rings. I also added a 'power adjuster' that I made to the rear in hopes that I will experiment with a 'air reserving' type pumper ie. pump once and load twice for two <500fps shots.

At full pumps this length of barrel can be observed vibrating but accuracy seems unafected so far, nevertheless I will probably install some kind of dampener along the barrel, so long as it doesn't detract from performance.

Future mods include a extended probe and magnet in the rear of the bolt - I've done that to a couple already and it's nice, just using a centre punch, cordless drill and patience. I consider the extended probe an accuracy enhancement rather than power, and found it helps a bit, besides I just don't feel right leaving the skirt covering half of the transfer port. I make the probe from a nail, spinning it in a drill while dressing it to size with a file, JB it in a hole after cutting to length. I find 3/16 in. about right for CROSMAN PELLETS, not all pellets have space in the skirt for probes. If a 'maximum power' approach is taken the probe is potentially less of a restriction to air flow.

I have only used this gun a few times but accuracy is very good at 30-35 yards, it's a bit noisier than I expected but I will find a transfer port size and hammer spring/tension that delivers only enough air to exit the pell but not enough to have a significant pressure wave to cause unecessary noise. This would one of the last guns I would get rid of from the twenty something I have now.

Pumpers are so versatile, carbines are light, can be ridiculously accurate, and Crosman's modular design and excellent support make it a natural for performance modifications and customisation. I understand your enthusiasm and it sounds like you are enjoying it so far. I will be anxious to hear more about it as you finish it off.

I must now apologise for this lengthy 'reply', it is likely the coffee, cough syrup, and the subject that got me carried away. :oops:

"As to the evil which results from censorship, it is impossible to measure it, because it is impossible to tell where it ends."
- Jeremy Bentham