Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Hello From Victoria
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:44 pm 

Hello Canadian Airgun Forum - I am in you!

I wrote a big introduction yesterday. But took too long (I get interrupted frequently) and it logged me out and logging back in erased it all, so here I go again. I am hoping to restart a hobby I had great fun with 30 years ago, as well as get my wife and son into it as well. My wife was in cadets and has a lot of relevant experience. I had a Baikal IJ-38 as a teenager, but this time am going strictly Crosman. The big obstacle is finding a place to shoot. We live in Saanich, but obviously a long road trip is out of the question in the current state of blocked roads and no gas. Is there any hope? Lol. Great forum here, glad to finally participate.

Post subject: Re: Hello From Victoria
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:51 pm 

nice intro welcome to CAF... :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:55 pm 

Victoria Fish & Game is your best bet.

https://vfgpa.org/

There's also North Saanich Rod & Gun Club, but they have a waiting list for membership. My impression is that waiting list is more than a year deep. So if you want to try it out, put your name on the list and wait. I'm maybe 6 months in.

There's also "Heal's Rifle Range". But I suspect that's military (and maybe police?) only. Can't seem to find a way to just walk in there.

I'm also in Saanich, and go to Victoria Fish and Game. I have two Crosman P1322's and the Leshiy 2.

Further afield, Nanaimo also has a range.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:14 am 

I write most of my posts with a text app then copy and paste. Some I never finish, but is easy to save. You can also use "save draft" button then get back to it later

Welcome
Rob

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:38 am 

There is a range in Duncan and Chemainus I shoot at old gravel pit or up Mount Sicker or any were out the back roads

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:35 am 

Heals Rifle Range is owned by the military.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:01 am 

Thank you for the warm welcome. Thank you also for the suggestions - I have some options to investigate now :D

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:07 am 

welcome to the forum

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:00 pm 

Welcome to the forum, Antimony6%.

That's hard shot and a decent pistol bullet alloy.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:27 pm 

I work in manufacturing and lead is used here for applications requiring weight, which is where I first heard of antimony being used to harden lead, but upon further research it is used to modify the properties of lead used in casting (think "type metal" for printing) to mitigate the effects of expansion / contraction - or at least make the coefficient of expansion more like that of the mold.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:26 pm 

Yes - the higher the antimony, the less shrinkage in the metal as it solidifies. Other additives are used to more completely blend the antimony with the lead.
New Linotype very hard - approx. 21 brinel and brittle when cast into bullets.
Monotype is even harder at approx 24 brinel. I suspect it is even more brittle when cast as a bullet.
The harder the alloy, the greater speed can be given them, all other things being equal, as the lubricant used.(cast bullets)
I've been shooting cast bullets for many different calibres and types of firearms since 1972. I started reloading my own ammunition in 1967.
Most people who shoot cast bullets, use an amalgam of antimony and lead or tin and lead or straight lead (PB) for their bullets.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:08 am 

Welcome! As a now ex victorian I hope you enjoy your time out there and really appreciate how wonderful the area is! The fish and game range is solid! (albeit a little loud if you are just air gun plinking)