Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:10 pm 

This is more of curiosity really but my dad canalized the air-drying crystals from the Umarex MK4 Handpump he got and used them in the air filter in his electric portable air compressor.

So I will need to pick up another pack of the crystals at 60$ a pop. I am going to buy them from AGS this time and don't mind supporting them; but am thinking about the future and wondering what are these even made out of and can I get alternatives?

-----------------------------------------------------
Update! I watched a video and when you get those pumps they with two packs of the crystals so he actually already had a spare that I am going to use! (But I am still curious if anyone knows!)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:49 pm 

It's probably just silica gel. You can buy it in bulk and put it in a sack inside the pump or filter housing.
https://www.amazon.ca/Premium-Indicatin ... 376&sr=8-9
If you get the colour changing pellets they are blue when dry and turn pink/red when wet. You can dry them out in the oven (some even in microwave) and reuse them.

))))----//----------==

Iacio ergo sum

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:05 pm 

You can buy a little plastic container full of them at dollar tree. They're called closet dehumidifiers or something. The crystals sit on a mesh screen and the container below fills right up with water.
Not sure if those beads are just silica gel or not. The ones on my hand pump don't seem to do anything. Water comes out the bleeder every time I pump.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:18 pm 

Those are not silica gel, they are molecular sieve. Silica gel can probably bring down moisture to about 20% but molecular sieve go much dryer.

You can actually regenerate most molecular sieve (and silica gel) by heating them up. Actual temperature that you need to heat them up varies.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:19 am 

I have (3) YH clone air compressors, and have played with a number of means to remove water. The material suggested appears to look like this: https://www.amazon.ca/HFS-Molecular-Sie ... 840&sr=8-1

I quit using this material because of the amount of dust produced due to the agitation/rubbing of the beads, due to the pulsations of the compressor's air intake. Attempts to filter the dust from the intake were less than desired when using various small fuel filters so I rejected the use of this material. IDK if a hand pump would be less of a problem.

I use this type of material (not this exact product since just grabbed the first link I saw), in an AliExpress housing. It appears to remove significant amounts of water when inline with the compressor's intake. I compared the relative humidity of the compressed air with, versus without the intake desiccant. https://www.amazon.ca/Premium-Indicatin ... 260&sr=8-5

The blue beads appear to capture water and dry out, gauged by color and weight change.

Some of my notes, FWIW:

All tests venting from whip hose by way of original little blue filter vented into plastic bag with UNIT-T UT333 Humidity Meter

Initial compressor run without desiccant:
57.9% RH 23.6C venting from whip hose by way of original little blue filter

Test connected to #1 compressor inlet:
Ambient 68.8% RH 20.9 C

Desiccant connected – 54.8% RH 25 C

Desiccant disconnected – 53.5% RH 25.2 C

Desiccant reconnected 52.5% RH 25.8C

Venting air from air bottle, air was compressed w/o desiccant 10.9% RH 22.4C

After drying desiccant (turned from pink to dark blue: 225 F 45 minutes in toaster oven)

Ambient 65.5% RH @ 22.2C (Dewpoint 15.43C) 10.98 g H2O/kg air

With dried desiccant 46.3% RH @ 25.8C (Dewpoint 13.41C) 9.72 g H2O/kg air

Disconnected (direct air inlet) 51.9% RH @ 26.1C (Dewpoint 15.45C) 11.1 g H2O/kg air

I hypothesize that the higher humidity between the initial (Ambient) run and the (Disconnected) final run was because of my breathing, the evaporation from the cooling water bucket, and evaporation from the wet cooling wrap on the intercooler piping.

**There was some discoloration/pink to the desiccant at the inlet. There was no apparent liquid water in the little blue filter’s foam pad. Calculated water removal was (only) 1.38 g H2O/kg air. (1.38 CC)

1.38 cc H2O x 20 drops/cc = 27.6 drops of water, which isn’t “only”. It just goes to show that one shouldn’t form conclusions before the final calculation.

If that desiccant is removing 27.6 drops of water in a 6.145 liter SCBA tank fill from 3800 – 4500 PSI, I’m encouraged. I had only recovered 7-10 drops of water from the little blue filter's foam pad, prior to using this desiccant.

Sept 26, 2021
Dried desiccant to dark blue from some pink beads
Desiccant cylinder (dry) 420.7 g
79.9% RH 0.2C garage near water bucket
62.5% RH 23C away from compressor. Water content 11.01 g/kg Air (1147 cc 0.09706 kg x 11.01 g/kg = 1.0686 g = 21 drops

Filled 68/4500 Guerrilla bottle from 500 – 1500 PSI
Following fill, filter foam pad was completely dry
Venting into plastic bag = 10.2% RH @21.5C 1.64 g/kg
Desiccant cylinder 422.8 g = 2.8 g water in desiccant = 56 drops of water.
Water in 1000 PSI 68 cu inch (1147 cc) air @ 10.2 RH = 0.1591784 g = 3 drops

Check on calculations: Water in should equal water in desiccant plus water in compressed air.
Water in = 21 drops (1.0686 g)
Water in compressed air = 3 drops (0.1591784 g)
Total water = 21 drops (1.0686 g) + 3 drops (0.1591784 g) = 24 drops (1.2277784 g)
**Desiccant 56 drops does not equal Total water @ 24 drops???? I noticed a small amount of water venting from LP & HP blocks but not enough to account for difference.

I've found that various drying strategies appear not to be as effective as many appear to claim. Has anyone actually done any measurements, such as comparing RH, weighing the desiccant &/or filter do determine the amount of water captured, or other means to actually verify what they claim is happening?

Webley Viscount .177
Crossman 1377 Classic Pump .177
Diana Stormrider2 .22
Kral Mega Marine Walnut .22
Artemis PP750 .22
FX Streamline .22 walnut
FX Streamline .22 composite

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:06 am 

Thanks for all the info folks!

When these expire I will look into some of those other options maybe! Also thanks Normk for writing such a detailed post! I am sure that info will help lots of people for years to come too!