Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Passive pest control
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:58 am 

Curious what you all use for passive forms of pest control. Pellet guns are great and all, but especially around here mice and rats can be a little timid. And in many municipalities, pellet guns aren't allowed.

I like bucket-style traps but find I have more success with them indoors, and nowadays all my trapping is done outside. Outdoors I've had the best luck with Haveaheart traps (live traps, cages), and the Goodnature traps. https://goodnature.ca/collections/traps I find the more mature the animal (raccoon, rat, etc), the less likely they are to be caught in the Haveaheart. The Goodnature gets the more wiley rats.

The Goodnature traps are a captive-bolt trap, like a slaughterhouse gun. CO2 cartridge powered. They have a bunch of relatively safe ways you can mount them outside, so they're safe to be near kids, chickens, dogs, etc.

Before I had children (or a dog) I'd be okay using body-grabbing traps, and leg traps. But my dog loves peanut butter too much.

I pretty much get all my trapping information from the "Mousetrap Monday" Youtube channel, Shawn Woods, in case it isn't already obvious.

All that said, my best form of pest control was eradicating the spaces rats were living in, on our property. After that, I suppose the Goodnature has acquired the most rat kills. The Haveaheart does and excellent job of catching the young raccoons.

Post subject: Re: Passive pest control
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:22 am 

I find the best solution to getting rid of rodents is to get a cat, or a few depending on the size of your property. They are just as easy if not easier to maintain than traps. Also a trap sits in wait where a cat will actively hunt. Another benefit of using a cat will be their scent scattered around to deter future rodents a bit. But theres downsides of course - they'll attack bunnies and birds too, and can sometimes draw in foxes or coyotees

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:59 am 

CaperJim wrote:
I find the best solution to getting rid of rodents is to get a cat, or a few depending on the size of your property. They are just as easy if not easier to maintain than traps. Also a trap sits in wait where a cat will actively hunt. Another benefit of using a cat will be their scent scattered around to deter future rodents a bit. But theres downsides of course - they'll attack bunnies and birds too, and can sometimes draw in foxes or coyotees

What? You don't like the gifts of the heads of bunnys, birds, or whatever left on your doorstep? Seriously though, there is a reason farms have cats.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:01 am 

jckstrthmghty wrote:
What? You don't like the gifts of the heads of bunnys, birds, or whatever left on your doorstep? Seriously though, there is a reason farms have cats.

I don't mind the gifts they leave. What I do mind is them eating my rabbits! The cats always get a taste in the kitchen but sometimes they get greedy lol

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:34 pm 

I have a hard time holding myself back from killing the neighbourhood cats.

If I could train a cat only to hunt pests, and other cats, not to hunt birds, and not to scare my chickens, then maybe I'd consider it. But I have not come across a cat that I believe is capable of that.

My grandparents farm had a wonderful Malamute-wolf cross that would catch all the farm cats. If the cats did not go submissive, he would snap their necks. Within a few weeks the farm went from 8 cats, down to 1. I loved that dog.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:13 pm 

This worked great at the campgounds on Vancouver Island - set outside
I got 24 mice the first night, then 16 for 3 nights then 7 at the Strathcona Park.
I got 16 every night for 5 nights at the Gold River Municipal Camp site.

Peanut butter works great.

Attachments:
Bucket-mouse-trap-works.jpg
Bucket-mouse-trap-works.jpg [ 7.67 KiB | Viewed 667 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:37 pm 

Daryl wrote:
I got 24 mice the first night, then 16 for 3 nights then 7 at the Strathcona Park.

Hands down the best rodent trap going.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:22 pm 

I also found, with the can, a piece of snare wire is all that is needed. The metal rod as a pivot is overkill.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:28 pm 

Daryl wrote:

I've gotta make myself one of those. I set 10 spring type mouse traps in my garage when I was away (6 wks). Came back to 8 mice trapped, a 2 traps sprung without a dead mouse. Been catching 1-2 mice per night for the past 5 days..I shudder to think how may are up in may attic. :drinkers:

))))----//----------==

Iacio ergo sum

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:56 pm 

The bucket with pop or beer can and just water, really works well, Duke.