Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:14 pm 

Hi all, nice to see this forum for Canadians.

I get a ringing noise with my Crosman Phantom when shooting it, which you can hear on this YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibMDuY_bZ0Q

That's not normal, right (I've watched a few other videos, it sounds different)? It seems to shoot okay other than that, I think...I wouldn't know.

I dry shot it a few times when I first got it a few years ago (dumb, I know, I wasn't aware back then that it is not good for the gun) - could this be the cause? Not sure how idiot-proof these Crosman's are.

Thanks in advance!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 1:19 am 

Is the piston slamming?
I don't know about a ringing sound, but I am tone deaf ...
Does it seem to have good amounts of power? If it's a detuned model, can it pierce a soup can?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:09 am 

That is just the spring rattling around take apart check the spring guide see if it fit and a quick way is to use a little spring tar will fix it up

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:39 am 

Hi and welcome on the forum chilly732,

I have two Crosman/Benjamin rifles doing the same exact thing. They started doing that after I swapped out the original seal for a (harder) teflon seal. I'm guessing when you dry-fired your rifle it crushed and hardened the piston seal a little, making the piston slam harder than before when fired. If your gun is a non-PAL one and shooting well, I wouldn't worry too much and just follow Lauchlin's advice. If your gun's full power, I'd take it apart for an inspection and main seal replacement.

But before opening the rifle, there's another test you should do: check the breech seal (at the entry of the barrel), if it leaks it can also make the piston slam and ring. There's a simple test you can do to make sure it seals: cock and load the rifle with a pellet, place a small piece of a tissue or toilet paper (1'' x 1'') over the barrel/tube junction (red arrow in first picture), and fire the rifle in a safe direction. If the piece of tissue is blown up when you shoot, there's a leak. Repeat the test by turning the rifle over and place a piece of tissue over the junction underneath the gun (red circle in second pic). If there's no leak on the breech seal, then the issue is the main seal.

HTH and please let us know how it turns out.

Attachments:
Barrel_tube_junction.JPG
Barrel_tube_junction.JPG [ 54.12 KiB | Viewed 727 times ]
Barrel_tube_junction_2.JPG
Barrel_tube_junction_2.JPG [ 53.55 KiB | Viewed 727 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:03 am 

airmec wrote:
Hi and welcome on the forum chilly732,

I have two Crosman/Benjamin rifles doing the same exact thing. They started doing that after I swapped out the original seal for a (harder) teflon seal. I'm guessing when you dry-fired your rifle it crushed and hardened the piston seal a little, making the piston slam harder than before when fired. If your gun is a non-PAL one and shooting well, I wouldn't worry too much and just follow Lauchlin's advice. If your gun's full power, I'd take it apart for an inspection and main seal replacement.

But before opening the rifle, there's another test you should do: check the breech seal (at the entry of the barrel), if it leaks it can also make the piston slam and ring. There's a simple test you can do to make sure it seals: cock and load the rifle with a pellet, place a small piece of a tissue or toilet paper (1'' x 1'') over the barrel/tube junction (red arrow in first picture), and fire the rifle in a safe direction. If the piece of tissue is blown up when you shoot, there's a leak. Repeat the test by turning the rifle over and place a piece of tissue over the junction underneath the gun (red circle in second pic). If there's no leak on the breech seal, then the issue is the main seal.

HTH and please let us know how it turns out.

I agree this is also a possibility

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:13 am 
Site Moderator

What you hear in the video is called "spring twang" or "spring buzz". The detuned Phantom has a thin wire, slopping fitting spring that would do better with a closer fitting guide (thicker guide). A piston liner might get rid of that twang for you. My detuned Optimus did the same thing. I upgraded the spring and installed a liner made from a large yogurt container. The twang is all gone.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:53 am 

Thanks for everyone's replies.

killercrow: I'm not sure if the piston is slamming - I don't know how that would sound/look to be honest (i'm new to air guns). It seems to be normal in power - it's the regular 495 fps you can get in stores (i have not done any tuning/mods). Yes, it can pierce a (thin) soup can from a couple of meters away (I don't want to alarm the neighbors by doing it from a distance).

lauchlin: thanks for the tip - I'll have to look up what that is and how to check it.

airmec: I tried the tissue method, and it seems like it is not a leak in those areas (unless the tissue movement is supposed to be minor, in which I couldn't notice due to the "recoil" of the gun that shifts the tissue a bit

TCooper: interesting. The sound does not bother me, I just want to make sure that it isn't damaged and that I don't need to get it repaired (i know nothing about air guns, and would probably cause more harm than anything if i attempt to repair myself - so I would end up having to find someone to do it for me in the Toronto area.

To confirm, this twang is not an issue? If not, I'll leave it as is. Don't want to mess around until I'm more experienced with this kind of thing hah.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:05 pm 
Site Moderator

chilly732 wrote:

To confirm, this twang is not an issue? If not, I'll leave it as is. Don't want to mess around until I'm more experienced with this kind of thing hah.

The twang/buzz is not a problem. You can keep shooting it like that.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:18 pm 

TCooper wrote:
chilly732 wrote:

The twang/buzz is not a problem. You can keep shooting it like that.

Sounds good, that's good to hear. Thank you for your help TCooper, killercrow, lauchlin and airmec!