Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: M29
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:54 pm 

The finish appears to be blued.(standard caustic salt method)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:58 pm 

Daryl wrote:
The finish appears to be blued.(standard caustic salt method)

It's electroplated.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:34 pm 

Canadianguy wrote:
My order was suppse to be Fri, then I would have to go to the PO, they dropped it off at my door today instead! Other then hollow handle feel a fingerprint easy, nothing I don't like! it really is a beautiful replica.This is the revolver i always have been looking for since the .357 ones were coming out in the 80's. The hammer is solid, probably the best hammer I ever felt on any of the revovers that have come out with. No wobble what so ever. Trigger feels tight too. You know i thought it would be to big but for this revover it should be bad buttock with 8 3/8. the 715 feels like it's heavier then the M29.

Attachment:
20211205_155701_resized.jpg

Attachment:
20211205_144150_resized.jpg

Attachment:
20211205_143719_resized.jpg

FYI...that holster is a Uncle Mikes Side Kick Vertical holster (size 3), take a few stiches out of the bottom. It fits the DW case, might have to trim some of the area at the end of the grip.

This seems to have a narrower body or a bigger diameter cylinder is that to represent bigger cartridges .44 mag?

I also really like the sights!

S&W M29 8 3/8" Pellet
Dan Wesson 715 Nickel 6" Pellet
Sig Sauer M17 Pellet
KWC 1911 Tac .BB
Leapers UTG BB 3x12x32

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:54 pm 

That was a nice read, I like that. I have no problem with it at all. It was just a observation, I'd never noticed before, always on TV.

I,m trying to figure out what drill bit to use to drill out the bb shells to use pellets. I have a few actual silver ones for pellets. When i put a 3/8" drill bit down the seal end it stops 3/4 of the way down the bb shells?

Anyone know the size of bit for the Colt Peacemaker pellet shells silver?

S&W M29 8 3/8" Pellet
Sig Sauer M17 Pellet
KWC 1911 Tac .BB
Leapers UTG BB 3x12x32

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:16 pm 

Canadianguy wrote:
That was a nice read, I like that. I have no problem with it at all. It was just a observation, I'd never noticed before, always on TV.

I,m trying to figure out what drill bit to use to drill out the bb shells to use pellets. I have a few actual silver ones for pellets. When i put a 3/8" drill bit down the seal end it stops 3/4 of the way down the bb shells?

Anyone know the size of bit for the Colt Peacemaker pellet shells silver?

Bb gun bores are 4.45mm nominal. I think most people shooting pellets through the bb shells have just used them as they are.

I get 4.35 average on the bb shells and 4.5 average on the pellet shells.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:37 pm 

Canadianguy wrote:
..I wish.... I could have a choice ether to leave it in my maibox the box is key locked or pick up from PO after 5pm.

consider Canada Post's FlexDelivery option.
https://www.canadapost-postescanada.ca/ ... ivery.page
parcels sent to me are held for pickup at my chosen postal office outlet, for me that is my local Shopper's Drug Mart. open 7 days a week. eves til 8.

i got tired of:

1. coming home on a friday to get a delivery card advising i can pick up my new airgun on MONDAY!!!!.. (after work, if it's NOT a long weekend) :-x
2. coming home and seeing my gun in its box set simply on the front step up against the door. :-x

just be sure your shipper is using canada post! the coded Box Number address you will use will mean NOTHING to UPS, FEDEX, PUROLATOR etc...

Tracey Wilson, CCFR

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:28 am 

Daryl wrote:
The model 29 has the largest S&W frame size. Smith & Wesson introduced their first large frame (referred to as the N-frame), swing-out cylinder, DA revolver, the .44 Hand Ejector – also known as the ‘Triple Lock” or “New Century” – in 1907 to compete with Colt’s New Service revolver.
This frame size stayed with Smith & Wesson up to and including it's first .44 Magnum revolver, the precursor to the Model 29, built on December 15, 1955, and the gun was announced to the public on January 19, 1956 as the model 29.
The large cylinder is due to the size of the ctg. and the necessary strength to contain it's 34,000PSI breech pressure.
The "N" frame & cylinder size was also used in the .357 Magnum in two of it's models the 27 & 28. The model 27 was produced in 1935, while the 28, also called The Highway Patrolman was introduced in 1954.

Wish I still had my New Service.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:28 am 

I used to have a real S&W 44 like that but it wasn't very comfortable to shoot, I sold it and bought a Ruger Redhawk in 44 and it was a wonderful gun in comparison. The only thing that I liked better about the S&W was the trigger pull.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:02 am 

I found drilling out the BB shells with a 3 1/16" drill bit and a little wet/ dry sand paper, the pellets fit perfectly. I read somewhere putting a M3 washer and a M3 6mm bolt instead of the 5.5mm should get you right on target. The sight doesn't elevate high enough.

So far so good

S&W M29 8 3/8" Pellet
Sig Sauer M17 Pellet
KWC 1911 Tac .BB
Leapers UTG BB 3x12x32

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 6:43 pm 

Canadianguy wrote:
I found drilling out the BB shells with a 3 1/16" drill bit and a little wet/ dry sand paper, the pellets fit perfectly. I read somewhere putting a M3 washer and a M3 6mm bolt instead of the 5.5mm should get you right on target. The sight doesn't elevate high enough.

So far so good

I'm sort of lost here. Why would you start drilling out BB shells to fit pellets, when you can just buy the silver pellet shells that are made for pellets & work perfectly in the gun?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:54 am 

I have 6 BB shells I would like to make use of them for pellets. I have pellet shells, i'm quit aware they do.

S&W M29 8 3/8" Pellet
Sig Sauer M17 Pellet
KWC 1911 Tac .BB
Leapers UTG BB 3x12x32

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:35 pm 

Just seems like a lot of experimenting & work to save $15.

Maybe just buy the pellet shells & also use the BB shells as they are for BB's.

Interesting how you are having all of these problems, as most report that you can just fit pellets in the BB shells. But I have not tried myself.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 4:10 pm 

Thank you but i can make my own decesions. All these problems? I have had zero problems with the revovler or the shells BB or pellet! I think most reports are BS because the BB ones i have were to to tight. What's the sense when there that tight. Mine were anyways. I don't know why i have to explain myself anyways I had them wanted to see, fair amount of metal came out when i did it worked fine! I think you should check things out your start making commenting. If you tried to shoot maybe come out I wasn't taking a chance. I have been shooting long enough that it didn't look good!

S&W M29 8 3/8" Pellet
Sig Sauer M17 Pellet
KWC 1911 Tac .BB
Leapers UTG BB 3x12x32

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 3:57 pm 

All i know is I wouldn't go to all the trouble of drilling out these if i don't need too.

Sorry for the rant it was coming up sooner or later on anything, nothing personal..

S&W M29 8 3/8" Pellet
Sig Sauer M17 Pellet
KWC 1911 Tac .BB
Leapers UTG BB 3x12x32

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 5:41 pm 

What about the rubber grommets, when you drill the shells out? You need them to hold the pellets or BBs in place. How do you put them back in the shell. I found, from experience, that once the rubber grommets are removed, they tend to come out when using the gun

I got one of the 1st S&W Model 29 CO2 BB revolvers in Canada, from my local Cabela's, the 2nd day they were in. Have shot BB (in the brass colored shells) and pellets (in the silver shells) thru it. Gun shot well with both BBs & pellets (using the appropriate shells for each). I found similar accuracy with both. Maybe slightly better with the pellets.

Read the reviews by the experts like Tom Gaylord & Hard Air Magazine. They both seem to be able to shoot pellets thru the standard cartridges (not sure if they are using the BB or pellet ones) without all the mods you describe.

https://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2021/12 ... er-part-3/

https://hardairmagazine.com/reviews/air ... sure-does/

Also read other reports that say similar things.

I have been using these types of shell loading revolvers for more than 6 years. Been using these M29 shells, as they are the same ones as used in the Colt Peacemakers for the same amount of time. Never had the need or urge to drill out the shells. I may not be the expert in this area, but I do know a lot about these types of airguns.

Years ago, I was speaking with one of the product managers at Pyramyd Air, just when the pellet Peacemakers came out. He told me a bunch of people from Pyramyd were shooting the new pellet peacemakers & BB peacemakers on the range at Umarex. He told me the BB shells & pellet shells were interchangeable between the guns & the ammo.

Did you speak with Umarex about what you are doing? They have a very experienced technical dept.

So again, I ask my question. I'm sort of lost here, in what you are doing?

But if it makes you happy to do it, go for it. Nothing wrong with tinkering. Just I might not go to all that work myself. Don't see the point. If my M29 shoots pellets perfectly with the store bought Umarex Colt Peacemaker pellet shells, & I have lots of them around from some of my 6 Colt peacemakers I own.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next