Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Kervan/AirBoss C4
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:05 pm 

Hey people, search is comin up nada for info on these.
Anyone have any experience with the Kervan Arms C4 or C5?

Good or no good?

Post subject: Re: Kervan/AirBoss C4
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:58 pm 

I have a C5 in .22.

It came from Canadian Shooters Supply. What information would you like?

Webley Viscount .177
Crossman 1377 Classic Pump .177
Diana Stormrider2 .22
Kral Mega Marine Walnut .22
Artemis PP750 .22
FX Streamline .22 walnut
FX Streamline .22 composite

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:36 am 

Normk wrote:
I have a C5 in .22.

It came from Canadian Shooters Supply. What information would you like?

I guess I'd like to know the usual, how's it shoot, any issues?
Do you feel it's worth the price compared to others in it's class and would you purchase again considering your experience with it?

I see you also have the Kral Puncher, how do they compare fit, finish and function wise?
I am also considering the Puncher Pro 500 and the CZ200S. And maybe the Aselkon MX5/9

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:43 am 

I have to give the lead to the Kral.

It is capable of 100 meter hits on .22 RF metallic silhouettes, but I haven't managed to get there with the Kervan.

Kervan has problems with leading the choked area of the barrel, looking like a DQ ice cream cone. Raman is looking into the problem, likely simply a new barrel and I have every confidence that it will come to shoot as well as the Kral. The Kral's power adjustment valve is lacking in the Kervan and I see that as a significant feature.

Fit & finish, I see as about even.

The Kervan 500 cc bottle with 3,500 cc fill pressure offers more shots, and I give that to the Kervan. Kral has 3,000 PSI 330 cc reservoir. The ease/cost in adding a regulator goes to the Kervan since it's an off the shelf, thread on, with the required adapter.

Appearance, I give to the Kral, with its more traditional appearance.

Scope mounting goes to the Kral with its choice of two dovetails.

I have both walnut and composite stocks for the Kral, prefer the composite. I prefer the Kral with either stock, for appearance, feel and handling, over the Kervan, but friends who have shot both say the opposite. Toss up, IMO. I'm not a fan of the Kervan's "trigger guard is part of the stock" arrangement, but others like it. The guard is much thicker and harder to refinish that often damaged area.

The conventional Kral barrel with O ring stabilized front barrel band, like HW100, is a very different creature from the Kervan's adjustable tension barrel stabilizing tube. Having played with tension, it offers some options which I have only begun to explore.

You are more than welcome to shoot the pair, and compare. May as well compare with my HW100KT, if here. The 'little underdog" Stormrider doesn't take a back seat except to the HW, either.

Hmm, what have I missed?

I prefer the integral Kervan quick coupler however only after I changed the male to Foster. The probe, type used by the Kral, Diana, Weihrauch, is an extra piece, dirt attracter, and source of leaks, IMO. I may drill the Kral's cover to permanently attach the fill probe.

I prefer the Kervan magazines to load. Rotate the cover, drop the first pellet into the breech side of the magazine and it can't fall out of the probe side. Not so for the Kral. Big deal? Not necessarily but when shooting 4-500 pellets in a day, it adds up for me as a positive to the Kervan. OTOH, the Kervan mags are bulkier. Two Kral .22 magazines will fit into a Crosman Premier 14.3 gr HP can, but not two Kervan.

Oh, yes, the Kervan's walnut stock as adjustable cheekpiece, while the Kral's is only adjustable for the composite stock. I don't need to adjust for either one but the push button Kral adjustment might, or might not make a difference. The Kral's ability to drop the cheekpiece to fit a hard case works for me, but the Kervan's (supplied) case handles that because it's taller.

Kervan cocking lever is a bit better than the Kral, IMO. Not much difference.

Kral came with (2) mags + single shot tray. Kervan with (2) mags but no tray.

Webley Viscount .177
Diana Stormrider2 .22
Artemis PP750 .22
FX Streamline .22 walnut

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:42 am 

Now that is a detailed review, thank you very much.
Sooo now I am kinda leaning more Kral and, it does seem Raman has more parts/support for Kral rifles.
I think i am going to have to go see him and handle both.

Now, another one on my radar is the CZ200S/AirArms 200. Too many choices in this price range.
Also saw the Eselkon offerings MX5/6/9 look interesting but heard from one owner they aren't worth money.

I guess before I decide on which rifle I should nail down which compressor.
Looking at Warrior and Umarex, neither in stock at Canadian dealers so no sense jumping on gun if i can't charge it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:36 pm 

I wish that I had gone to an HW100TK or 100 right off, FWIW.

I have (3) Yong Heng clone compressors, and have done quite a lot of work on those, if there is anything with which I can help.

I've adapted one to use closed loop cooling, to be portable, and another is now switched from water bucket to faucet and drain.

As for filtering and water traps, I've found that the original filter, checked and dried, and inlet desiccant filter remove all dirt which I can detect, and drops relative humidity of the compressed air to >10% RH @ ambient pressure.

Webley Viscount .177
Diana Stormrider2 .22
Artemis PP750 .22
FX Streamline .22 walnut

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:04 pm 

Good STUFF NormK.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:36 pm 

Thanks again for the detailed responses, giving a lot to consider.
I am off the Kervan kick, so now serious contenders are Kral Puncher Mega2 and Pro 500 and CZ200 with some tuning.
The HW are getting more than I want to spend, kinda hard capping myself to $800 since I need to buy a compressor and glass at some point. For time being I'll steal scope of another rifle.