Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:38 am 

Ace wrote:

7000 feet?! Holy moly :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:31 am 

Dukemeister wrote:
Yes it's the redesigned grip/forearm model, and it does look like glass fibre reinforced nylon for the piston. So I'll be skipping that mod. I was just looking through my bits snd oieces and found a nice hardened steel 3/16 dowel just the right lenth for the roll/spring pin replacement.

Yup that's the good one.

And that hardened steel pivot pin is one of the best mod I know of. Not only it is sturdier than the stock one, it'll also be less wear-inducing on the inner race of the pump arm pivot hole, having a smoother surface than the original roll pin.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:37 am 

Great, good stuff here to help me with my custom pumper rifle/carbine build. I'll do another thread to chronicle my progress good and bad. In the meantime I have another quick question on mods, and that is what's the reason there is no set screw or screws holding the barrel in the upgraded steel breach? I pretty much always add a 2nd set screw in the breach on QB78 series, having at least 2 to hold the barrel good and true. Rsterne posted his version years ago, with the set screws on the side giving firm grip around the circumference of the barrel also fixing side to side wiggle. So how come this isn't done/necessary on the 13xx/22xx Crosmans? I even see some mod videos with the barrel floated, no barrel band.. I'm very curious as I'm tempted to add some set screws. There are even some divots on the longer barrel that look like they are meant for a set screw (maybe different model guns??). Advice appreciated.

))))----//----------==

Iacio ergo sum

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:46 am 

My two cents on that: I think there's only one set screw because the steel breech is originally made to be used with a barrel band, per Crosman design.

I free-floated a 10'' barrel on a 2240 using the sole original set screw, and it's fine, but I wouldn't free-float a longer barrel without adding at least one additionnal set screw to the breech. Two would be better for over 14'' in length, and I wouldn't free-float a barrel longer than 18'' with the tiny OEM front breech screw. If adding two screws, I'd put one on each front side of the breech, just below the dovetail (red arrow in the pic).

Attachments:
2240_SB_FF.JPG
2240_SB_FF.JPG [ 81.91 KiB | Viewed 283 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:58 pm 

I had a chance to tear down my new style 1377 today.
I confirm that it has a new design piston, made of glass filled nylon. It has Nylon 6,6 + 33% glass fibre printed right on it. I have done extensive research on this material at work, it's stiff and strong and has good fatigue life. It was also obvious that the new design has only onex4 chamber instead of twox4 in the old design. Overall the 1377 seems to be well made, a bit of rough edges here and there but first impressions are good. The new dowel pin is in, but it will need some means of keeping it in one the new barrel band arrives. Some pics:

Attachments:
1377 PA66 33 GF.jpg
1377 PA66 33 GF.jpg [ 21.62 KiB | Viewed 271 times ]
1317 Piston.jpg
1317 Piston.jpg [ 52.58 KiB | Viewed 271 times ]

))))----//----------==

Iacio ergo sum

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:24 pm 

Depending on your barrel band, you can sometimes hold the dowel in with a set screw. Eliminate the need for e clips etc.
Those dowel pins are sure handy! I bought a variety pack from Amazon.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:34 pm 

killercrow wrote:
Depending on your barrel band, you can sometimes hold the dowel in with a set screw. Eliminate the need for e clips etc.

Seen, I have been thinking about it some, and I came up with cutting a circumferential groove dead centre on the pin and putting a O-ring in the middle of the two sides of the pump arm. I have it together like that now, but no groove cut in the pin yet. I'll be using a 760 barrel band so I don't know if I could use a set screw.

))))----//----------==

Iacio ergo sum

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:37 pm 

Dukemeister wrote:
killercrow wrote:

Seen, I have been thinking about it some, and I came up with cutting a circumferential groove dead centre on the pin and putting a O-ring in the middle of the two sides of the pump arm. I have it together like that now, but no groove cut in the pin yet. I'll be using a 760 barrel band so I don't know if I could use a set screw.

Holy O-ring success story! It worked beautifully.
I spun the dowel in the drill press and used a metal cut off disk in my dremmel to cut a circumferential groove in the centre of the dowel pin. Then I found a suitable (small) O-ring that fit tight in the groove, spread the forks of the pump arm and centred the O-ring carefully, the compression of the forks held it securely during the following steps, assembled the new 760 barrel band and plug, and juat a few firm taps on the dowel and it found centre and stays put. I had intended to lube the joint with moly but I forgot. Anyhow, it worked perfectly, no external clips etc to spoil the aesthetics. time to start a new thread on my custom 2289 backpacker (teaser pic below too).

Attachments:
261505991_367162168516077_1547380069613961210_n.jpg
261505991_367162168516077_1547380069613961210_n.jpg [ 71.85 KiB | Viewed 245 times ]
2289 look alike.jpg
2289 look alike.jpg [ 88.44 KiB | Viewed 245 times ]

))))----//----------==

Iacio ergo sum