Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:20 pm 

Hi guys
Just like to know what pellets you guys are using for target shooting, hunting and everything in between.

Please leave your comments on the bottom. Like to hear what you guys use. I like to hunt small game, and pests, but really like to shoot Field Target as well.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:58 pm 

I'd say about 95% of my shooting is done with various H&N. They work good enough for me, and are easy to obtain from Jocelyn (Cible Target Canada)
- Sport for casual practice 10M and backyard plinking
- Match for the more serious 10M shooting
- Baracuda and/or Sniper medium for casual FT and the occasional pesting.

The other 5% are a mix of JSB/Crosmann that I've bought over the years to try.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:13 pm 

I am using about 50/50 JSBs and H&Ns... No more Crosmans right now but some mix of the cheap but acceptable pellets like Daisy flat nose...

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:41 pm 

sillymike wrote:
I'd say about 95% of my shooting is done with various H&N. They work good enough for me, and are easy to obtain from Jocelyn (Cible Target Canada)
- Sport for casual practice 10M and backyard plinking
- Match for the more serious 10M shooting
- Baracuda and/or Sniper medium for casual FT and the occasional pesting.

I never heard of them guys so I looked them up. Turns out I've been buying pellets from them for a few years but from ebay. Great shop and h&n seems to be a nice balance of cost and quality.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:40 am 

[emoji38] Nikkonos' store right?

That's my H&N pellet source too~

I bought JSBs from forum store and others like RWS from AGS...

~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:24 am 

YepYep wrote:
[emoji38] Nikkonos' store right?

That's my H&N pellet source too~

I bought JSBs from forum store and others like RWS from AGS...

Yup, Nikkonos (Nick) is Jocylens son. His ebay store. Great guy. A good smith I'd trust with any of my ag's.

Like sillymike, H&N's through and through. I've tried many others but H&N's always did the trick for me in all of my ag's. I do have some jsb diablo's I use for ft practice and they work ok. Not quite as good as the H&N's but acceptable.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:14 am 

And then, there's the pellets you buy "just because it was a good deal"
- A few years back, stopped at a Walmart and noticed they had RWS Diablo Basic in clearance for $2.75/tin of 500 (Never noticed they sold RWS pellets before?)... Walked away with 2x sleeves :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:32 am 

sillymike wrote:
And then, there's the pellets you buy "just because it was a good deal"
- A few years back, stopped at a Walmart and noticed they had RWS Diablo Basic in clearance for $2.75/tin of 500 (Never noticed they sold RWS pellets before?)... Walked away with 2x sleeves :mrgreen:

The RWS R-10 were my go to for the longest time. Good pellet. H&N's just seemed to score a few points better most times. Likely all in my head and it's not like I'm ever heading to the olympics. I've never tried the good stuff, final match or whatever. Maybe I should stop being so cheap and give it a try.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:58 am 

jckstrthmghty wrote:

Yup, Nikkonos (Nick) is Jocylens son. His ebay store. Great guy. A good smith I'd trust with any of my ag's.

Well~ I know someone's daddy today~ (I remember I read the name 'Jocylen' somewhere before but didn't connect these two gentlemen together.

Nick is a great guy! Answer questions patiently with details and knows a lot on the stuffs they carry in the store and stuff in airgun and airgun competitions!

~Target~

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:08 am 

jckstrthmghty wrote:
The RWS R-10 were my go to for the longest time. Good pellet. H&N's just seemed to score a few points better most times. Likely all in my head and it's not like I'm ever heading to the olympics. I've never tried the good stuff, final match or whatever. Maybe I should stop being so cheap and give it a try.

jckstrthmghty wrote:
Like sillymike, H&N's through and through. I've tried many others but H&N's always did the trick for me in all of my ag's. I do have some jsb diablo's I use for ft practice and they work ok. Not quite as good as the H&N's but acceptable.

It looks there's still some exceptions... I just found out my CZ200 don't like H&N... :( tried all my H&N stock, the picky guy just don't like any of them... However maybe I need to adjust the power (it's shooting just around 10fpe for my basement) or actually pellet testing is more based on the barrel ?!

And this guy like 8.44 Exact or the AADF and the RS. And it doesn't like the Express which right in between the Exact and RS... I didn't believe that. However tried it a few times again and again and proved...

R10 is my favor too... However I changed to JSB and H&N as the price for the R10 was jumped up before the recently JSB and H&N price increase. But I stock a little again when our forum store have the new inventory and at a good price.

~Target~

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:58 am 

jckstrthmghty wrote:

I couldn't tell you about the "actual" accuracy difference between the Sport/Match/Final-Match, light or heavy... as I never shoot off a bench.
- Offhand 10M pistol, the only difference I've found been the light/heavy 177 pellets are the POI. One will print groups higher than the other.
- Groups size are about the same, and score will have more to do with how I felt that day and how much training I've been doing lately.

10M rifle, while I enjoy it at... I'm not masochist enough to actually go/pay to shoot a match somewhere.
- After all these years, I'm still at the point where I think I'm doing OK (in my case, shooting 8's and up)... than some jitter comes along and I'll throw a 1 or a 2 :axe:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:31 pm 

RWS R-10's shot best in the model 150 Tyrolean Feinwerkbeau I had for a while.
IN my current rifles and handguns, I use a bunch of different H&N and JSB pellets. Some rifles like the H&N\s
while others prefer JSB - nowadays I shoot either Diabolo or HP's for both paper punching and hunting or shooting
pests. The Predator pellets get used on field rats, most often and even in a HW springer, gave good head and chest
hitting gophers to 56 yards.
The H&N 21.3gr. match Diabolos have worked just fine in the .25 Condor for shooting grouse.
The PCP rifles should be able to extend those ranges, especially since they are more powerful and should give better longer
range accuracy with heavier, higher BC pellets and/or bullets.