Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours


The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

 

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.






Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: S & W M29 now available
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:28 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:10 pm
Posts: 1370
Location: Winnipeg MB
Checked one out at my local Cabela's this morning, on the way back to the office from an appointment.

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/148448/s ... air-pistol

Cabels's seems to be the 1st retailer to sell it in Canada. That's a surprise, as normally they are the last one to get new products in

There were only two in stock (plus a display model). Can't see the other one lasting thru Black Friday/Cyber Monday. They have some in the warehouse, but "my trigger finger was getting itchy". So I bought it.

Have not shot it yet, but it's a real nice replica. Super nice high gloss finish. Imitation wood grips look a lot like real wood. Sales people at Cabela's who were walking by the airgun counter, when I had it out, looked at it, and all thought it was real wood. Authentic S&W logos & they really hid the ugly airgun warnings. It's in black on the bottom of the dark brown grips. Box also looks really nice with all the S&W logos.

Tried to see if any of the speed loaders I had, would fit the shells. Tried out 3. The loader for a shell loading Colt Python/Swiss Arms 357, one for a Crosman SNR, and the type I use for my Schofields. None will work. Seems like the shells (same ones as used in the Umarex Colt peacemaker) are too wide at the base to fit in any of the speedloaders.

Does anyone know of a speedloader that will work for the M29?

On a positive side the Peacemaker pellet shells fits, so use can use pellets in it, even if it is a smooth bore barrel. Sort of like with the smooth bore barrel Remington 1875 & Schofield, that also shoot pellets.

Found a Browning holster in the clearance section that fits the revolver perfectly.

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/29450/br ... un-holster

And it also fits the shoulder holster I use for my Swiss Arms 357 (same as the shell loading Colt Python).

I now hear that AGS will be getting the M29 in, this week.

https://www.airgunsource.ca/us/smith-we ... olver.html

But as they say, a "a bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush".

Will report back in a day or so once I try it out.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:32 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:10 pm
Posts: 1370
Location: Winnipeg MB
Have tried the S&W Model 29 out a couple of times over the past few days.

The one word I can use to describe it is "smooth".

Smooth look with the mirrored finish, smooth action, shoots smooth, fit & finish is smooth. Even the double action is very smooth. Probably the nicest double action of any CO2 revolver I have tried.

Been shooting it on my 24 ft. basement range. Shoots very accurately (for a smooth bore BB gun). Shot BB's & pellets (in the Colt Peacemaker pellet shells) and found it was just as accuracy with either. Even more accurate than my 7.5" Colt NRA pellet Peacemaker.

Getting approx. 70 good shots with one Umarex CO2. Power (& accuracy) seems to drop off after that.

With the long barrel, it's more suited to a shoulder holster or cross draw setup.

If you are into replica revolvers, you will be impressed with this airgun. May be Umarex's finest replica.

Only complaint (minor) is that there doesn't seem to be a speedloader for it. Spoke with Mark at Umarex about this, and he confirms that there isn't one. And that might be an oversight on their part. Maybe they will come up with one if the demand is there.

If anyone out there knows of a speedloader that works with this revolver, I'd be glad to hear about it.

It is now available at Cabela's (with free delivery), and AGS. I hear that D+L is also getting it in, shortly.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:34 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:45 pm
Posts: 855
Location: Toronto
BB Pelletier ( PyramydAir Blog) shows a 5 meter accuracy test with varying results with several bbs . Airgun Detectives have a review at 10 meters with one brand of bb with better accuracy than the 5 meter test. Both shot from a rest with I think may be required from many of us with the 8 inch barrel. Does this mean while it is a beauty , it may be disappointing in accuracy ?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 2:42 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:35 pm
Posts: 8986
Location: P.G. B.C.
About speed loaders? If the "shells" are the same size as .44 mag. or even .44 Spl. & with the rim,
then .44 mag speed loaders should work just fine. I have 2 - the Second 6's by HKS for my .38(also made in .44), and JSC for my .44.

_________________
Best Wishes
Daryl


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 3:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:35 pm
Posts: 1132
Location: North Of Toronto
BB1Shooter wrote:
Have tried the S&W Model 29 out a couple of times over the past few days.

The one word I can use to describe it is "smooth".

Smooth look with the mirrored finish, smooth action, shoots smooth, fit & finish is smooth. Even the double action is very smooth. Probably the nicest double action of any CO2 revolver I have tried.

Been shooting it on my 24 ft. basement range. Shoots very accurately (for a smooth bore BB gun). Shot BB's & pellets (in the Colt Peacemaker pellet shells) and found it was just as accuracy with either. Even more accurate than my 7.5" Colt NRA pellet Peacemaker.

Getting approx. 70 good shots with one Umarex CO2. Power (& accuracy) seems to drop off after that.

With the long barrel, it's more suited to a shoulder holster or cross draw setup.

If you are into replica revolvers, you will be impressed with this airgun. May be Umarex's finest replica.

Only complaint (minor) is that there doesn't seem to be a speedloader for it. Spoke with Mark at Umarex about this, and he confirms that there isn't one. And that might be an oversight on their part. Maybe they will come up with one if the demand is there.

If anyone out there knows of a speedloader that works with this revolver, I'd be glad to hear about it.

It is now available at Cabela's (with free delivery), and AGS. I hear that D+L is also getting it in, shortly.


Good to hear! Mine is the same as what he said! The action is yes smooth. i have been looking for speedloaders too and there out I noticed yesterday but not in any stores I know of. They have little holes in between the cartridge chamber.

4 rolls down to the left.

I wonder if the HKS ones would work?

https://www.umarex.com/products/airguns ... ories.html

_________________
Benjamin Discovery .22
Crosman DPMS SBR .BB
Crosman 2240 HPA .22
S&W M29 8 3/8" Pellet
Dan Wesson 715 Nickel 6" Pellet
Sig Sauer M17 Pellet
KWC 1911 Tac .BB
Leapers UTG BB 3x12x32


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 12:44 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:35 pm
Posts: 8986
Location: P.G. B.C.
Air gun sight and speed loader pictured there as a m29 speed loader.

If this one works, then most likely all of them will work.


Attachments:
Legends SpeedLoader.jpg
Legends SpeedLoader.jpg [ 43.63 KiB | Viewed 455 times ]

_________________
Best Wishes
Daryl
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 9:41 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:37 pm
Posts: 1030
Location: Montreal area
I'm using D'n'W speed loader with my Schofield #3 shell fit's perfect and spacing for the reel is perfect to. Most of our revolver shell are 357 size so about every thing should fit :? .

Except for My only D'n'W 4" I had and could not use it because of grip interference :?:

SilentMan... :drinkers:

_________________
4.5mm
To many and not enough.

6mm
Not enough and to many.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 1:08 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:35 pm
Posts: 8986
Location: P.G. B.C.
The 3 at top and bottom one are 2 different makes of .38/.357 Speed Loaders.


Attachments:
.44 and .38 .357 Speed Loaders.JPG
.44 and .38 .357 Speed Loaders.JPG [ 593.86 KiB | Viewed 417 times ]

_________________
Best Wishes
Daryl
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 6:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:35 pm
Posts: 1132
Location: North Of Toronto
I know the M29 shells will not fit the 715 speedloaders, Iv'e tried.

_________________
Benjamin Discovery .22
Crosman DPMS SBR .BB
Crosman 2240 HPA .22
S&W M29 8 3/8" Pellet
Dan Wesson 715 Nickel 6" Pellet
Sig Sauer M17 Pellet
KWC 1911 Tac .BB
Leapers UTG BB 3x12x32


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 8:03 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:10 pm
Posts: 1370
Location: Winnipeg MB
Same here. As I mentioned previously, the S&W M29 shells (same shells as the ones used in the Colt Peacemakers & Cowboy Lever Action rifle) are too large in the base to fix either the speedloader from the Colt shell loading Python, or the Dan Wessons. May also be the same for the existing S&W speedloaders.

The DW speedloaders work perfectly in my 7" & 5" Schofields.

Let's just home the M29 speedloader from Umarex Europe, makes it to North America sooner than later.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 8:17 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:35 pm
Posts: 8986
Location: P.G. B.C.
So, if the pellet/BS holding shells, are the same size/diameter as .38/.357 cases, then the speed loaders for the Model 27 and 28 Smith & Wesson revolvers will fit
in the Model 29 BB gun, as the centre of the ctg. spacing of the model 27 and 28 is idnetical for that sized cylinder, as they are all "N" frames.

_________________
Best Wishes
Daryl


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 8:33 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:10 pm
Posts: 1370
Location: Winnipeg MB
Daryl wrote:
The 3 at top and bottom one are 2 different makes of .38/.357 Speed Loaders.



Since the M29 shells are similar in size to the .38/357, would be interesting to see if they work with the M29 airgun. Has anyone tried? Any idea the price of these speedloaders? And where one could buy one.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 8:38 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:35 pm
Posts: 8986
Location: P.G. B.C.
Here? I just Googled Model 27 Speed Loaders

https://www.amazon.ca/HKS-Revolver-Spee ... B0000C1CMA

This style of speed loader, used to be called a or the 6-second Speed Loader.
LOL_ they weren't that expensive when I bought mine. :D I guess that was in the early 80's.

_________________
Best Wishes
Daryl


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 8:41 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:10 pm
Posts: 1370
Location: Winnipeg MB
Daryl wrote:
So, if the pellet/BS holding shells, are the same size/diameter as .38/.357 cases, then the speed loaders for the Model 27 and 28 Smith & Wesson revolvers will fit
in the Model 29 BB gun, as the centre of the ctg. spacing of the model 27 and 28 is idnetical for that sized cylinder, as they are all "N" frames.


As previously mentioned, the issue is not with the size of the shell casing, but the base.

For example, rear BB loading Peacemaker shells will fit the Colt Python. But the Python shells don't fit well in the peacemaker. Therefore, this speedloader will not work.

I think the S&W and the DW speedloaders are almost the same & interchangeable. I use DW/S&W speedloaders for my Crosman 357 SNR & my Schofields.

Maybe one of the CDN retailers would bring in a box of the M29 speedloaders, if he had enough presales. Put me down for 4 speedloaders.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 8:45 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:10 pm
Posts: 1370
Location: Winnipeg MB
Daryl wrote:
Here? I just Googled Model 27 Speed Loaders

https://www.amazon.ca/HKS-Revolver-Spee ... B0000C1CMA

This style of speed loader, used to be called a or the 6-second Speed Loader.
LOL_ they weren't that expensive when I bought mine. :D I guess that was in the early 80's.


How about this one?

https://www.amazon.ca/HKS-29-M-Revolver ... UGA6&psc=1

Has anyone actually tried it to see if it works on the M29 airgun?


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
News News Site map Site map SitemapIndex SitemapIndex RSS Feed RSS Feed Channel list Channel list

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group

phpBB SEO