Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:55 pm 

How to remove stuck (overtightened) barrel screw to tighten up barrel with new washers...Grizzly Predator..It has a slight preceptable wiggle so I want to swap out the washers but I can't budge the screw. Are there any methods besides impact screwdrivers since I don't have one...Its a slotted but its kind of narrow...can't get a big screwdriver in there for more torque..

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:41 pm 

Is it just a slotted screw on one side? Threaded into the block?
If it won't damage anything, maybe try heat. Grind a screwdriver to fit if you don't have one that does.

I have had a couple crosman mk1 lever piercing caps that were rusted and in need of a rebuild. Instead of clawing at them and marring them up, I put some quality synthetic gun oil on the threaded parts and let sit for a few days. Did the trick.

Sometimes impact is all that will help break it free.
Rap it on the back side with a brass hammer?

If all else fails, there's always the drill.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:55 pm 

killercrow wrote:
If it won't damage anything, maybe try heat. Grind a screwdriver to fit if you don't have one that does.

I have had a couple crosman mk1 lever piercing caps that were rusted and in need of a rebuild. Instead of clawing at them and marring them up, I put some quality synthetic gun oil on the threaded parts and let sit for a few days. Did the trick.

yes I tried some of those things you mentioned...grinded a screwdriver to fit narrow slot but just won't budge...tried heat...fortunately I didn't damage the bluing...I don't know why they would have to overtighten the barrel bolt like that. This is the first gun out of 30 or so where I can't get the barrel off. I guess I'll have to bring it to the machine shop tomorrow and offer them $20.00 to spin it out for me...thanks for the advice though. :D

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:32 pm 
Site Moderator

I was working on a new B18 today that had a very tight barrel bolt. I used a large slotted screwdriver that had a square shank. I used a wrench on the shank to get more torque and the screw came out. Some of the Chinese airguns (like the B18) have a tapered screw head that can grab tight in the tapered hole in the fork.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:49 pm 

TCooper wrote:
I was working on a new B18 today that had a very tight barrel bolt. I used a large slotted screwdriver that had a square shank. I used a wrench on the shank to get more torque and the screw came out. Some of the Chinese airguns (like the B18) have a tapered screw head that can grab tight in the tapered hole in the fork.
yes thosed tapered screws do NOT have to be cranked down like that which is the problem for sure....If I cant get it I'll have to bring it to a machine shop just off memorial and they can spin it off for me....

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:43 am 

killercrow wrote:

Thanks much...I didn't think hitting it with a hammer right on the screw(not too hard though) would work but it broke the screw free and it turned out...cool...now to tighten up that barrel...cheers :D

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:12 pm 

No thread is 100% contact, thus if "frozen" by dried oil or whatever, tapping the end of the screw driver with the blade in the slot (recommended), works to break free the "binding" agent through almost microscopic movement of the screw in the threads.
As you found, tapping the screw also worked. Tapping the end of the screw driver while trying to turn it is the usually method, though.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:18 pm 
Site Moderator

MyCrosman wrote:
killercrow wrote:

Thanks much...I didn't think hitting it with a hammer right on the screw(not too hard though) would work but it broke the screw free and it turned out...cool...now to tighten up that barrel...cheers :D

Does the Predator (LB-600) have plastic barrel washers like the B18 models?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:28 pm 

TCooper wrote:
MyCrosman wrote:
killercrow wrote:

Does the Predator (LB-600) have plastic barrel washers like the B18 models?

Actually there are no washers so I cleaned up the factory lube of some kind and gave it some Moly between the forks....put the barrel back into the forks and squeezed the forks with a clamp with rubber coated jaws...I then screwed the bolt in tight and now the barrel stays at whatever position I put it after the gun is cocked. Before the barrel would swing back and forth like a pendulum so its quite a difference... Groups havent changed though...still good.. I'll see how it does at 30 yards later this week....