Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:39 am 

Hi guys,
I guess this might be an old topic in this forum. However, I am new to the form.
As the subject says, I am wonder if it is legal. I bought a croman 1077 from Canadian Tire which is a low powered air gun with 495fps and am going to use to kill the little critter in my backyard.

But before that, I would like to make sure it is legal here. I am living in Delta, BC.

I did some research. Some bylaw seems to say that the discharge of a firearm is not allowed in municipality in Delta. However, some say the low powered air gun doesn't count as a firearm. I don't really get a certain answer for this question yet so far. I hope I can get some more hints here.

Thank you.

Last edited by ratting-gunner on Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:45 am 

There's nothing illegal about hunting rats with an airgun in BC or with Canadian law.

Your only possible issue is with Delta's laws. Unfortunately, I do not know those laws. Googling around it does sound like Delta has a variety of bylaws restricting where firearms can be shot.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:16 am 

Hi delooper,

Thank you for the quick reply. Here is where I see the bylaw.
https://delta.civicweb.net/document/135263
It seems it is illegal to even fire a air gun. However, I am not sure if the low powered air gun counts as a firearm or not.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:22 am 

ratting-gunner wrote:
Hi delooper,

It seems it is illegal to even fire a air gun. However, I am not sure if the low powered air gun counts as a firearm or not.

I would say their definition of "firearm" includes any and all air guns.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:56 am 

You have to check for updated version or addons to bylaw. That one listed was 1974. Phone your bylaw and ask them if you can Target shoot a nonpal airgun in backyard or if their bylaws are updated since 1974. Ask for the paperwork if they say no you can't. You really only face a $500 fine if someone reports you. Is that worth the risk? It would for some and not for others. People can still phone police and they must respond. They came to my house and deemed my archery range safe and went and told my nabour is she keeps phoning she will be charged with harassment. I stand at my fence and shoot at my house. Airguns are inside house shooting only for me even though we can target shoot and "not for hunting". Sports club added in them three words clause with our new bylaw. Bit of a gray area. You are likely better to open a window of the house and fire a shot if you must. Always be sure of your backstop as we don't want to read about you in the news. Big snap traps with peanut butter work really well for rats. CHEERS!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:23 am 

Damage in my Neighbourhood is way above the fine cost. They seek food and shelter and destroy everything in there way, one car, one ac unit, every life vest, boat seats etc. Neighbours are all in, ask for a death count everytime we talk. We have lots of traps set up but lead is dead. Vegetable gardens are the summer feeders and birds feeders are the winter food source. Patio slab back stop.

Hidyho Neighbour

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:00 pm 

ratting-gunner wrote:
Hi delooper,

Given the way Canadian firearms regulations are written, a low-powered air gun is still a gun. Just not one that requires a PAL. So it sounds like its illegal to fire for the most part.

That said, read article 9 and 10 of the law you are quoting. It states that "outside those portions of the Municipality" you are allowed to use firearms, even high-powered rifles, during hunting season, provided you do all the paperwork, etc. There is no paperwork to hunt rats.

"Schedule A" is the last page of the legislation. It shows a fairly large portion of Delta where firearms can be used, during the appropriate times. You might want to clarify with someone in your Town Hall what how "hunting season" should be interpreted for rats. Presumably that's year-round.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:05 pm 

Ya i've been through this ringer a few hundred times figuring out where I can legally shoot my 490FPS Stoeger. I'm around the Langley area so familiar enough with the GVA bylaws.

Basically: ya can't.

You're only allowed to shoot them at designated ranges, or areas of the brush that's been legally deemed "ok fine, geez" by the government. Fraser Valley a few years ago installed several new "No Shoot" areas and new 400m+ distance from roads, all can be looked up here: https://www.fvrd.ca/assets/Government/D ... gAreas.pdf

The entire thing down here is absolutely loony toons :rolleyes:

So I have to settle with training my cat for pest control.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:06 pm 

ratting-gunner wrote:
Hi delooper,

According to #2, = illegal. Check with the local's to see if there are changes, as suggested by the others.

No one here can give you a definitive answer as-to the legality of it.

"means a rifle, pistol, or shotgun and includes air guns, air
rifles, air pistols"

so - yeah - screwed 3 ways + pistols = 4.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:27 pm 

Many rats I see in my backyards are really cunning. It is hard to catch them by traps.
As per this link http://www.firearmstraining.ca/airguns.html and Criminal Code it mentions and published by the Minister of Justice, air gun with lower velocity than 500fps deems not to be a firearm. However, that seems not for the purpose of ratting. Apparently, need more investigation.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:38 pm 

ratting-gunner wrote:
Many rats I see in my backyards are really cunning. It is hard to catch them by traps.
As per this link http://www.firearmstraining.ca/airguns.html and Criminal Code it mentions and published by the Minister of Justice, air gun with lower velocity than 500fps deems not to be a firearm. However, that seems not for the purpose of ratting. Apparently, need more investigation.

The issue is local bylaws supersede anything blanket stated by a higher document. In BC, at least lower BC (Greater Vancouver Area), municipal laws across all the districts here will state that air guns, air rifles, air pistols and even airsoft are all designated firearms, full stop :(

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:15 pm 

Not "deemed to be a firearm" for the purpose licensing only. The word "only" is very important. Other sections say something like, if used as a firearm, it is a firearm, regardless of it's licensing designation. That is kind of a catch-all, IF THEY want to use it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:25 am 

ratting-gunner wrote:

What kind of traps are you using, and what's your technique?

I've found that technique is maybe a little more important than just the trap. Some traps make technique less important. But the most standard traps, like snap traps and bucket traps are largely about technique.

If the rats aren't morons, you'll need to give a little if you want to catch. Give them some easy food to let them build up some confidence around your trap. As the easy food thins-out, they'll be more likely to enter your trap.

Snap traps in a box is one reliable technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrgiTI3pC7M

Also cage traps work well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2PSDVsZ38U

I've migrated to the Goodnature traps. While they're more expensive, they're less maintenance and can really crank through the mice and rats. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfGBCSQIH3o

In my yard there's two Goodnature traps, and two Haveaheart traps out all the time. The Goodnatures mostly hunt rats. The Heveahearts (live traps) tend to catch rabbits, squirrels and raccoons.

It looks like most of the rabbits around here have died of some disease recently, so they haven't been much of a problem for the past year or so.