Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Crosman Phantimus
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:39 pm 
Site Moderator

I just finished tuning a new .177cal Crosman Optimus that wears a Phantom stock (long story). I got this detuned "Canadian Tire" rifle in unfired condition and I disassembled without shooting the weak OEM mainspring. The piston was unscratched with no bluing wear and the sear engagement was still fresh with bluing. The barrel was gunked with shipping preservative.

I shot a few dozen pellets after tuning and the rifle has quickly settled down so I cleaned the barrel, mounted a 4X Leapers AO scope and shot a few groups at 10 metres. It’s a good shooter and might even get better after a couple thousand shots (barrel conditioning). My supply of the Finale Match pellets is low so I only shot a couple of groups with them. I haven't tried other pellets yet so these might not even be the best choices.

Accuracy @10m
H&N FTT -------------- .18". .27", .23"
H&N Finale Match – .23", .22"

Velocity
FTT (8.64gr) – 688, 687, 686, 691, 688 fps
CPHP (7.9gr) – 708, 705, 707, 708, 702 fps

This rifle seems to shoot with about the same accuracy as my full-power .177cal Optimus rifle from the USA. The bore is good with no tight spots noticed. I used the Cdn 170mm piston rather than chopping to 150mm. More power is possible but I'm more interested in a comfortable plinker. Here is what I did on the rifle.

new crown
    bevelled pellet leade
    extreme barrel cleaning (WD40 soak, bore solvent, JB Paste)
    new metal hinge pivot washers sized for thickness
    transfer port work to remove crater inside compression chamber
    mild compression chamber polish
    bevel sharp edges on slots and smooth slot surfaces
    piston liner
    new 4D spring (.122" wire/36 coils)
    shorter spring spacer
    longer trigger adjustment screw
    burnished moly into chamber
    moly paste application where needed

Yup, I've had my FAC/PAL for over 40 years.

Attachments:
Phantimus 006b.jpg
Phantimus 006b.jpg [ 334.8 KiB | Viewed 1352 times ]
Phantimus 002b.jpg
Phantimus 002b.jpg [ 334.12 KiB | Viewed 1352 times ]

Post subject: Re: Crosman Phantimus
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:03 pm 

TCooper wrote:
I just finished tuning a new .177cal Crosman Optimus that wears a Phantom stock (long story). I got this detuned "Canadian Tire" rifle in unfired condition and I disassembled without shooting the weak OEM mainspring. The piston was unscratched with no bluing wear and the sear engagement was still fresh with bluing. The barrel was gunked with shipping preservative.

I shot a few dozen pellets after tuning and the rifle has quickly settled down so I cleaned the barrel, mounted a 4X Leapers AO scope and shot a few groups at 10 metres. It’s a good shooter and might even get better after a couple thousand shots (barrel conditioning). My supply of the Finale Match pellets is low so I only shot a couple of groups with them. I haven't tried other pellets yet so these might not even be the best choices.

Accuracy @10m
H&N FTT -------------- .18". .27", .23"
H&N Finale Match – .23", .22"

Velocity
FTT (8.64gr) – 688, 687, 686, 691, 688 fps
CPHP (7.9gr) – 708, 705, 707, 708, 702 fps

This rifle seems to shoot with about the same accuracy as my full-power .177cal Optimus rifle from the USA. The bore is good with no tight spots noticed. I used the Cdn 170mm piston rather than chopping to 150mm. More power is possible but I'm more interested in a comfortable plinker. Here is what I did on the rifle.

new crown
    bevelled pellet leade
    extreme barrel cleaning (WD40 soak, bore solvent, JB Paste)
    new metal hinge pivot washers sized for thickness
    transfer port work to remove crater inside compression chamber
    mild compression chamber polish
    bevel sharp edges on slots and smooth slot surfaces
    piston liner
    new 4D spring (.122" wire/36 coils)
    shorter spring spacer
    longer trigger adjustment screw
    burnished moly into chamber
    moly paste application where needed

Yup, I've had my FAC/PAL for over 40 years.

Phantimus ...lol good one...These "lower end " guns are so much fun to improve and turn into a nice shooter...very satisfying for sure ..good job :D

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:57 pm 

Have you ever tried a maccari square wire spring in one of these? I tried one once, it seemed smooth and gave medium power. At the time I wasn't paying attention to it because I was just after maximum power.

Currently I have a phantom 500, wearing a nitro venom .177 barrel, a medium spring (? Haven't measured it), and a delrin guide and spacer. Turns out it shoots smooth enough. Good candidate for an accuracy test.

Some fine shooting by the way.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:38 am 
Site Moderator

killercrow wrote:
Have you ever tried a maccari square wire spring in one of these? I tried one once, it seemed smooth and gave medium power. At the time I wasn't paying attention to it because I was just after maximum power.

Currently I have a phantom 500, wearing a nitro venom .177 barrel, a medium spring (? Haven't measured it), and a delrin guide and spacer. Turns out it shoots smooth enough. Good candidate for an accuracy test.

Some fine shooting by the way.

I haven't tried a Maccari or Vortek spring. I have a few Crosman B18 rifles and all have the cheap Crosman springs ($12-$14). One Optimus has a 170mm piston, short spacer and the 4B spring (34 coils, .118") that gives 600fps with 7.9 grain. My newest B18 example (above) has the 170mm piston, short spacer and 4D spring (36 coils, .122") that gives 700fps. My full power Optimus has the 150mm piston, short spacer and 4D spring that gives 750fps. I also have a B18 nitro piston that spits 7.9gr at around 920fps.

I use the OEM spring guide and I sleeve the piston with .027" of #5 recycle plastic to eliminate the twang. I have a few spring spacers that Rick made up so I shorten to 3/4" or less. With the wire springs I can push the spring flush with one finger while I slip the crosspin into position. Getting 900fps is always an option but firing behaviour gets harsh and I don't need all the power for 60 yards and under.

The B18 rifles can often be tuned to shoot quite well. They don't have choked barrels so typically they are pellet picky. Sometimes you get one with a barrel constriction at the front of the breech block but careful sanding can remove most of the problem. Thanks to previous member Chevota for that great tip. When the rifles are all tuned up I have had them shooting 1 1/4" to 1 3/8" at 50 yards on a calm day. Not bad for the price.

The crowns on the Crosman B18 rifles often need work. Sometimes you can see the roughness or burrs using a loupe. Other times you can feel the snag at the muzzle when pulling a patch through.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 7:23 am 

My compliments TCooper, that sounds like a really nice shooter. I think a very accurate, and very comfortable, cycling rifle like that makes a "keeper" sometimes as compared to a obnoxious maximum power effort that's harder to control.

I recently tuned a Cdn Tire CS5M77 manufactured 920 and it was originally quite underpowered compared to advertised speed and my expectations. I have had several Phantoms and the older ones "just worked", for anybody, and without mods etc, at least as far as power and comfort, and the twang was minimal in my experience. This one has the 170mm piston and weak spring, and a bleed hole in the piston head, typically shot an unacceptable 360-380fps. After small changes, deburring, sanding off the oem 'fringe' from the piston seal, some moly lube, and a few dimes in front of the top hat, heat shrink on the guide, it's now typically 465-480fps, quiet/twangless, comfortable and accurate. With my old eyes and open sights it's easy to get .250-.375 c-c at 30ft from standing position. I re-used everything it came with and am happy. These are a a great basis for tuning and I like what you did with yours, especially the 4X Leapers AO scope. Congrats, looks nice!

"As to the evil which results from censorship, it is impossible to measure it, because it is impossible to tell where it ends."
- Jeremy Bentham