Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: diana model 52 slugs
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:12 pm 

i just got a diana model 52 with a heavier spring. ive been researching it on line and have found users feel it shoots best using heavier pellets(13-15gm range) and most of what i can find is that they prefer JSB Diabolo Exact Monster .177 Cal, 13.4 gr. i have been looking for them on line but they seem to be out of stock everywhere. wondering if anyone knows where i can get them.
also im wondering about the ability to use slugs. i just found out about them and it seems like this may be an option as they are available to purchase, so im wondering if my gun can shoot them with the same accuracy as a pellet or does a slug rifle require a specialized barrel?
also looking for an inexpensive scope(set up) for this as well. im used to iron sights and am a fair shot which is why i want to spend as little as possible as this is just an experiment and i can upgrade in the future if i prefer it.
thanks for any assistance

Post subject: Re: diana model 52 slugs
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:02 pm 

Slugs are more expensive than pellets. The only way to find out if they work, is to beg, borrow, steal, or purchase some and try them.
I've not tried any slugs in my HW97 .177KT, nor in the HW97 .22K.
If one might work in your .177 Diana, it could be the FX Hybrid.
Just checked a couple sources and cannot find any .177 slugs.
Just checked dlairgun in Richmond and they have several heavier H&N .177's, in 10.65, 10.49, 11.57, as well as JSB in 13.43gr. and 16.20gr.

Last edited by Daryl on Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:07 pm 

Nice score finding a 52 these days.
I played around with a Diana 350 clone in .177, it loves both those heavy jsb's. Especially the 13.4gr.
As for .177 slugs, I thought about trying them but then I found out you can buy 16+gr pellets, the slugs available are around 14 grains? That's all I have seen.
I'm guessing that a slug would be too tight in the barrel, resulting in piston bounce and low power output. That's what i got from a .25 350 clone, trying a slug.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:16 pm 

excellent info. im still on the hunt, think im gonna stay with the pellets...
any thoughts about an inexpensive scope?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:35 pm 

stoopidmonki wrote:
i just got a diana model 52 with a heavier spring. ive been researching it on line and have found users feel it shoots best using heavier pellets(13-15gm range) and most of what i can find is that they prefer JSB Diabolo Exact Monster .177 Cal, 13.4 gr. i have been looking for them on line but they seem to be out of stock everywhere. wondering if anyone knows where i can get them.
also im wondering about the ability to use slugs. i just found out about them and it seems like this may be an option as they are available to purchase, so im wondering if my gun can shoot them with the same accuracy as a pellet or does a slug rifle require a specialized barrel?
also looking for an inexpensive scope(set up) for this as well. im used to iron sights and am a fair shot which is why i want to spend as little as possible as this is just an experiment and i can upgrade in the future if i prefer it.

Have alook here sub 12,shooting slugs https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-t-U7b6trU

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:26 pm 

Yes - it's also an FX & that rifle is quite tune-able.
It is possible the springer will shoot slugs? Maybe? The normal 'scenario' for shooting slugs has seemed to indicate higher speeds in PCP rifles
as in over 800fps and best at over 900fps. If slower velocity spring powered rifles will shoot slugs, well that presents a definite need to test.
If only shooting to 15 yards & on something as big as a rat, perhaps slugs will shoot well enough out of about any rifle? Again, need to test to
see.
I had a back of Neilson slugs in .22 and .25 calibre. I tried them in a couple PCP air rifles, and gave them all away. Pellets were more accurate
in the rifles I tested. Wish I had kept the .25's as I now have a new .25 for testing. In it, the FX Hybrids don't shoot as well as several pellets.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:33 pm 

Tallieho1 wrote:
stoopidmonki wrote:

Have alook here sub 12,shooting slugs https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-t-U7b6trU

Sorry i miss read your ask. Try this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0qkWwBCN-A&t=13s

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:13 pm 

Cool! That rifle preferred the pellets. Decent group, about 1/2 to 6/10's as big as the slugs & impacted higher and were heavier.
Of course POI is not linear with different weights. Some times POI moves around when heavier or lighter pellets are used with
windage as well as elevation, up or down being the result.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:18 am 

After watching the video,using the Ultra Shock .That is now my ,go to pesting pellet.My pp700A & my pp 750 really performs well.ot so in my Impact,till i did the mag conversion.excellent now. Here's a video on the upgraded mag https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDTG-lf9Jrk

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:24 pm 

Not so important with the pistol, but a rifle would need to be tested at longer ranges with the Ultra Shock pellet, to make sure it's accuracy continued.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 4:35 pm 

I had a Diana Mod 54 Air King and it liked heavier, diabolo shaped pellets like the Beeman Kodiaks. It did not do as well with slugs. I'm guessing that the gas seal was better with the diabolo shape and led to more consistent shot to shot velocity.
I mounted a BSA Airgun scope on it and it never gave me an issue. The gun was accurate but a beast to cock.
Good luck with your search for heavier ammo.
TMW

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:12 pm 

Have you tried 16.2gr JSB Beasts? Sniper Dan has them at the Forum Store.

Feinwerkbau 300S
FX Dreamline Classic
Weihrauch HW100KT FSB
Weihrauch HW97KT
Weihrauch HW50S
Artemis M16
Artemis PP700
Weihrauch HW40
Beeman P17
Stoeger XP4

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 3:00 pm 

My .22 PP700 SA preferred the heavier H&N pellets in the 18 and 19.09gr. weights. Then I tried the 21.3gr. Match RN's WOW!
They turned out to be the best and ran 408fps av. for 7.9 fpe. I didn't chronograph the lighter pellets, for some reason. :rolleyes:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 3:25 pm 

Threemorewishes wrote:
I had a Diana Mod 52 Air King...

I made a typo, it should read "Diana Mod 54 Air King".