Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Value?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:40 pm 

How do you determine used values for airguns ?

If you told me you had a used car for sale, I could generally see the value and know about where it should be .

What steps or research can be done to determine if the asking price, matches the value.
( Knowing that something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it )

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Post subject: Re: Value?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:58 pm 

These days it seems like conventional firearms are what ever you paid plus 50% based on a lot of sales posts I see though I don't think they are selling for those prices. Airguns, I to would like to know what sort of value they hold or not as the case maybe.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:43 pm 

80% of new is usually what I would go with.
Yeah, lot of guys think their used stuff is worth more than new, as far as firearms go. I don't get it. And everything is super rare and hard to find. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:44 pm 

killercrow wrote:
Yeah, lot of guys think their used stuff is worth more than new, as far as firearms go. I don't get it. And everything is super rare and hard to find. [emoji38]
How does age come into play ?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:54 pm 

Kennykustom wrote:
killercrow wrote:
Yeah, lot of guys think their used stuff is worth more than new, as far as firearms go. I don't get it. And everything is super rare and hard to find. [emoji38]

Your questions are to vague to elicit useful/specific answers. In general the younger the airgun the more value it retains, but also sometimes the oldies are better made than the nubies and the old ones are more valuable. And of course antiques and vintage is a specialty market. To get useful info, let us know what you are wanting to buy or sell and we can give specific answers as to the value.

))))----//----------==

Iacio ergo sum

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:56 pm 

Dukemeister wrote:
Kennykustom wrote:
killercrow wrote:

Your questions are to vague to elicit useful/specific answers. In general the younger the airgun the more value it retains, but also sometimes the oldies are better made than the nubies and the old ones are more valuable. And of course antiques and vintage is a specialty market. To get useful info, let us know what you are wanting to buy or sell and we can give specific answers as to the value.
Is it poor etiquette to discuss a members for sale post and the perceived value ?
I just don't want to ruffle any feathers.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:59 pm 

Not trying to be vague, just discrete and treading carefully

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:02 pm 

[quote="Kennykustom"]Is it poor etiquette to discuss a members for sale post and the perceived value ?
/quote]
Yes, that would be poor etiquette. :drinkers:

))))----//----------==

Iacio ergo sum

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:36 pm 
Site Moderator

A used airgun that is still in production is not worth 100%. Maybe 75-80% in nice condition. New purchases from dealers often carry a warranty that is lost when sold as a used airgun. When purchasing used you are also assuming a risk because you don't really know the history of the firearm and likely don't know the seller well enough. The price goes down as condition declines and as the firearm gets older. Springs and seals wear. Other parts can wear and degrade if not properly lubricated and cared for.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:30 pm 

+1 on TCCooper's answer, with the caveat that sometimes a used gun, which has been competently improved, tuned, or otherwise improved can be worth more than the new price for an "off the shelf". As someone else observed, it's probably best to post specifics and ask for opinions.

As for questions such as, "Is seller "X" asking an unreasonable amount?", I doubt that anyone telling someone that they must lower their price, will have much influence. I go by the, "If I want it, and find the value is worth the price, I buy. Otherwise I walk.

For those who see guns as an investment, in whole or in part, the market value is likely more important than for someone who, "OOOO, shiny! Me want! Me buy!". ;-)

Webley Viscount .177
Crossman 1377 Classic Pump .177
Diana Stormrider2 .22
Kral Mega Marine Walnut .22
Artemis PP750 .22
FX Streamline .22 walnut
FX Streamline .22 composite

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:06 am 

I concur with what TCooper & Normk are saying.

The value of a used airgun, can be very subjective. The value is what someone is willing to pay for it! I think saying it is worth 80% of new, may be a "rule of thumb" that may only apply to airguns that are still being sold new.

I bought a Crosman 1861 Shiloh in a very limited edition kit, that included the gun, CO2, BB's, pellets, oil, holster & belt buckle. I think it was only sold in Canada. See this post for pic:
topic26821.html

Everything is still in great shape and the gun work great. I bought it new at Kmart in 1981 for $58.96 (still has price tag on it). Does anyone really think it is only worth $47.17 today?

I personally, would be very careful about paying 80% for an airguns that you could buy new, with full warranty & someone to go back to, if there is problem, just to save $20-30. If it needs repairs, all your saving may turning into a loss over buying new. And beware, more and more new airguns are replace only, & have few parts available.

I think, like anything else that is collectable, it pays to do your research, place like auctions sites, eBay, this forum, Gunpost, etc. are good places to start.

Also, many say the "Bluebook of Airguns", is the best guide to value.

https://www.airgunsource.ca/us/13th-edi ... rguns.html

So that might be the place to start. These sort of guides are certainty the place many refer to for automobiles.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:41 am 

I seen an ad on cgn for a pcp rifle asling $700. When I googled it I found it at d&l for $550. Says he only used it a couple times and wants all his money back (accessories, shipping, taxes). It's still there.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:26 am 

It's about condition and desirability
- Folks will often ask for pictures before giving a guess estimate, since someone's "very good" condition can vary from someone else description.

Heck, before the days of the Internet... I remember being pretty disappointed, because I drove pretty far to view a rifle that was described as pretty good... only to consider it pretty neglected.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:11 am 

Mike is right.

Over the years I have learned to understand meaning of certain words used to describe airguns on eBay & other online marketplaces;
-Good working condition = might actually shoot if you are lucky.
-In good shape = probably just a parts gun
-shoots hard = a BB might come out the barrel & travel 10 ft. before it drops.
-It shot last time I used it = you will probably never get it to shoot again
-been stored away in box for many years = seals are dried out, & may be other problems
-needs work = probably not even good enough as a parts gun
-been recently resealed = will probably start leaking in a month or two

And why do airgun sellers leave active CO2 in newer airguns, when they ship them out. After the 2-3 weeks it takes to get to me, the seal need replacing as soon as you remove the CO2.

No, not all online purchases on eBay etc., are bad. I would say over 50% come as advertised, 20% are better than advertised, and around 30%, would be classified as a "challenge" for my airgun repair guy.

If I was smart, I would ask sellers I did not know, to send a video of them shooting the airgun. And maybe even with a chrono test. But anyone that would go to those lengths to sell an airgun is probably already an honest seller.

Bottom line is "Caveat Emptor", let the buyer beware.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:32 am 

Supply and demand also plays a big role
- As in, a "new" popular airgun, with limited supply will retain more value.

As far commenting someone else "for sale" post, the way I see it.
- Discussion the condition of the rifle = Good to go
- Discussion of $ = Not really. You are free to make an offer... and someone is free to ask whatever they want for it.