Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Enjoyment of Airguns
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:46 am 

A big reason I shoot airguns is for relaxation and stress relief. There is something about cocking, loading and shooting an airgun that is very enjoyable and satisfying.
I have quite a few airguns and in many varieties. I have come to the conclusion that for myself, breakbarrels are the way to go. Easiest to cock, definitely easiest to load and in spite of what others may say, they give up nothing in terms of accuracy.
I’ve had an Air Arms TX 200 for probably ten years. I came across it at Corlaines in their used rack one day and couldn’t pass it by (big mistake).
I’ve shot it very little over the years and here are the reasons why: first, yes it is very accurate and the shot cycle is amazing. BUT.. it is very heavy (not a big deal).
It is very delicate and will malfunction if looked at sideways requiring tearing down and probably some sort of expensive part to get it working again. ( also not too big a deal)
The main reason in my opinion that this has to be the worst gun ever produced is because it is a joyless pain in the buttock to load a pellet into. Who ever thought that design would be a good idea? Couldn’t they have made the breech opening just a tiny bit larger? I have regular sized hands and every. Single. Pellet. Is a nightmare to load into the barrel.
There is no element of joy when shooting this gun. It is just hard work and frustration to load every single time.
I’ve used many many airguns in my life. Lots I’ve been very pleasantly surprised by and only a couple that I will forever avoid like that plague.
One rule: if it is hard to use, it sucks. Doesn’t matter if it is accurate. Doesn’t matter if it’s sexy looking. It won’t get used. Couple that with extremely heavy and super temperamental, and you have junk on your hands. There is nothing redeeming about an Air Arms TX200. Don’t waste your money.

Post subject: Re: Enjoyment of Airguns
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:07 am 

I respectfully disagree. While I do agree a break barrel is easier to load and there isn't much difference in accuracy when you buy quality I have found the tx200 clearly better in most respects. Mine is not delicate whatsoever. It has been reliable and robust and I have shot many of thousands of shots. Maybe 10 thousand. I've gone through a few springs. It is by far the easiest spring air rifle I own to work on. I have a hand disability and find so issue loading. None. What expensive parts? A seal? A spring? All cost the same for any air rifle.

I'm sorry about your experiences but mine is an absolute joy to shoot and I strongly believe most would feel the same.

If you are looking to offload your "junk" at junk prices let me know, I'll glady take it off your hands.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:29 am 

Well i have been on this forum from its start and never heard a bad word about a TX till now ....

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:44 am 

If it's any consolation, you can easily sell it now for what you paid for it 10 yrs ago. :drinkers:

))))----//----------==

Iacio ergo sum

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:21 am 

I have to agree with part about a pain to load. With .177 pellets and fat fingers mine can be a pain to load. Other than that the rifle is easy to work on and pretty solid.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:44 am 

On the other hand, the HW97's with the much larger port, are quite easy to load, even with my 5 thumbs on each hand.
It's also accurate enough to shoot sub pellet size, centre to centre at 20 to 25 yards.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:12 pm 

I have average to large hands and load my TX without even looking. Had TX200 rifles from the 90s and never had delicacy issues. Shot them from 925 fps with 7.9 gr. pellets down to 750 fps with 8.44 gr. pellets. I find the sub 12 ft/lb TX rifles are the most accurate, which is not surprising, since they were designed to be sub 12 ft/lb.

If it is not the most popular spring gun in the world, it certainly would be darn close. I have three at the moment and may add one or two, but I will not be selling. Done the break barrel route and just find the TX easier to hit things with and in field target shooter circles, I have a ton of company.

Like others have stated, if you want to be rid of it, it will not take long to sell it. I have had guns that did not suit me, but can never remember going on a public forum and proclaiming them a waste of money.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:57 pm 

I did post a couple of replys but I made some sort of mistake and they didn’t show up here so I’ll try to redo them.
I do agree that the tx200 is a very high quality rifle. And I’ve put a lot into mine. I’m a lefty and mine came with rh stock so I got a left handed stock for it. That is very nice. I also put a vortek kit in it even though it really didn’t need it.
They really are very easy and enjoyable to take down and tune. There are a lot of good things about these rifles. I really want to like it.
But for a rifle of this quality and cost, why didn’t they improve the loading port to make loading seamless? If the loading aspect had been improved, I’d be a huge fan of these rifles. Maybe mine has a bad loading port? I’m not sure as I’ve never tried using a different TX200? I agree with most all of your comments on this post regarding the outstanding accuracy and quality of these guns.
But there is a reason many different types of guns are made for many different purposes and many different types of shooters.
For many the tx200 is pretty much perfect. And I applaud that. I just think it’s probably not perfect for me.
My apologies for the harsh words I used in my first post on this thread.
Keep enjoying and using your TX200s!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:39 pm 

One more thing I just realized: I’ve seen quite a few TX200s on the used market. Why is that? I’d be willing to bet it’s because people bought them and were super thrilled to finally have the best springer ever created only to find out that yes, it is true it is the best springer ever created only trouble is YOU CANT LOAD A PELLET INTO IT!!! So, in frustration and disappointment they sell them.
I’ve often wondered if I was on an episode of candid camera or pranked or something along those lines when I’ve tried to load a pellet into my gun. It’s that frustrating.
In the other hand, I’ve NEVER seen a Weihrauch HW97 on the used market. Wonder why that is?
So anyways, I just wanted to address the elephant in the room. It’s ok not to like the TX200 because of the fact it is extremely difficult to load and that puts a lot of people off it.
It’s also ok to absolutely love the TX200 and have fun wit it. I wish that were the case for me.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:59 pm 

Just wonder why you are trying so hard. You do not like the TX, we get it. Many do like it and you get that.

Check out the TX200 rifles that are on sale and you will find most are .22. When a .177 goes up, you better act fast if you want it.

If you never see and HW 97 up for sale, you must have selective vision.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:06 pm 

Well if you ever see an HW97 or a 77 up for grabs in either caliber, please let me know! I would absolutely love to own one and I have been looking.. as a reward for finding one of those available, I will GIVE you my TX200!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:33 pm 

I can get you a HW97K for $630, I'll pay shipping your way if you ship your TX200 to me. Oh I'll need the RH stock though.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:41 pm 

I hope that's just hyperbole (giving the TX away). And just an FYI, D&L said they're expecting Weihrauchs coming in end of December *fingers crossed*. So you won't have to wait long.

Different models just shoulder differently for each individual. I prefer my 97 over the TX too but mostly because it doesn't have that annoying anti-beartrap and to a lesser extent it has the wider loading port. I also prefer the slimmer feel of the stock and the curved buttpad of the 97. The most serious issue I've had with my TX was the trigger sears chipping under normal use! But someone could also say the 97 is a terrible rifle for being twangy out of the box, unfinished spring ends, no top hat-> this is a big issue for me. This is kind of unfair on the TX. It's just a matter of personal ergonomics.

Break barrels definitely give something up. Weight. Underlevers are typically heavier and that helps soak up recoil. It's not very obvious at lower power levels but set a 95/98 at 15fpe and they're definitely jumpier (especially in .177) and groups open up. Too bad it's discontinued but I think you would have loved the Walther LGV. Internals are just as modern as the TX. Quieter than either TX or 97. Not pellet picky (at least as long as your using quality pellets). And plink drawing pins at 50m accurate (and this is at 13.5fpe while the TX was 11.4fpe). It's heavy though. Heavier than the 80. Come to think of it, I think it was as heavy as my TX with the OEM stock. Maybe that's why it's so easy shootable?

Anyway, have a good one. Good luck in getting a 97!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:42 pm 
Site Moderator

It's nice to see happy endings. Very happy for Grant!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:01 pm 

I hope so too! Maybe very happy for both of us!
All I can find used right now is a TX200 .177 at Airgunsource Canada if anyone is interested…