Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 12:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 3:39 pm 

I've put away my 2289 build and taken up a new project on a 2240 which I intend to make into a wood stock carbine in black/sliver to complement my 2289 black/yellow. Anyhow, it's my first experience with a 2240 so I was surprised to see a huge cloud of CO2 vapour emerge from the muzzle, it chronied at 430 fps with 14 gr pellets, and has a steel breach, extended probe, and 7.5" barrel.
I searched the forum, and found some references to CO2 clouds cause by bulk filling and liquid enetering the valve. This 2240 is standard 1 caplet, so not bulk filled.
I don't know if the vapour cloud is normal, so I'm wondering what could be done to conserve CO2, something seems out of balance to me, like too much hammer spring or too little valve spring or both. Advices?

))))----//----------==

Iacio, ergo sum

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 3:48 pm 

Read this topic17241.html

https://www.airgunsofarizona.com/parts/ ... evice-hdd/

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 4:14 pm 

Co2 will be liquid wether you bulk fill or use co2 bulbs. If you want to conserve gas, don't let it get too cold.
I think with the 2240 in stock trim, you have a heavy hammer, a large valve and a short barrel. Same identical powerplant used in a 2260 which runs a 24" barrel.
Guys have played with lightening the hammer, debouncing the hammer, clipping the spring or adding a stiffer shorter spring.
Lots you can tune on these guns. Rear velocity adjusters are quite a handy tool as well.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 4:48 pm 

Hammer debouncer eh, Hmmm... got this off the GTA: "....This allows the hammer to fly forward without any drag, but as soon as it starts snapping backards the HDD expands against the walls of the bolt bore and brakes it. This stops the hammer from opening the valve multiple times as it bounces back and forth between the hammer spring and valve spring tension, which obviously just wastes gas. It fits over the hammer's cocking pin, with the slot/opening facing backards. The opening/slot is what makes the device expand, the hammer snapping backwards makes the pin attempt to back out of that opening/slot and makes the body expand in that bolt bore, creating friction to slow the hammer. Forward motion isn't restricted though, so your shot velocity remains unaffected. You just get way more shots per fill since it isn't re-opening the valve after the pellet's already gone."
I know I need to tear it down and see what's inside it. Since it came to me as a custom build anything is possible . it may even have a HDD in it for all I know, I literally just put a caplet in and fired 5 shots through the chrony and left scratching my head. :drinkers:
Thanks for the tips.

))))----//----------==

Iacio, ergo sum

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 5:13 pm 

A smaller TP is also a good way to conserve CO2.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 5:30 pm 

An SSG works much better than Woodwards HDD. Bob Sterne has a thread here and another on the GTA with variations that folks came up with and results, this is what I came up with and my results on an otherwise "stock" 2240. Also works awesome when using "balanced" valves that are designed to open easier...actually quite shines in that application. 8)

topic70738-45.html

Al

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 5:44 pm 

Cool stuff, so is a SSG basically a combination RVA and spring travel limiter?
Looks like the hammer still floats but the spring can't follow it to the end of its travel.

))))----//----------==

Iacio, ergo sum

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 6:27 pm 

An SSG is the best, but just fitting a lighter hammer spring, or backing off the preload on the stock one (or shortening it) can save a LOT of CO2.... A lighter hammer also helps....

Bob

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 6:36 pm 

rsterne wrote:
An SSG is the best, but just fitting a lighter hammer spring, or backing off the preload on the stock one (or shortening it) can save a LOT of CO2.... A lighter hammer also helps....

Bob

Ack. I think that will be my first line of approach, try a lighter hammer spring.. seems the easiest change to make.

))))----//----------==

Iacio, ergo sum

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:45 am 

Dukemeister wrote:
rsterne wrote:

Bob

Ack. I think that will be my first line of approach, try a lighter hammer spring.. seems the easiest change to make.

RV or ligther spring is the cheaper and easy way to go, with good adjustment you can keep velocity but get big augmentation of shoots count by tank, with the last one i play with i pass from 40 to 60 shoot with a tank and keep the same velocity, a bit of liquid co2 came out on the 1 or 2 first shoot with new tank.

Slavia 630
Daisy 853c
Crosman 422
Beeman p-17
TAU 7
2200 magnum