Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:31 am 

Dukemeister wrote:
One problem area I've still to resolve is the pellets get hung up in the divot where the breach screw sits, its worse on my 13xx than the 2240 - I guess different dates of manufacture, the screw from my 13xx has a tiny head diameter leaving a deeper divot than the other. Anyhow, how to solve this one? I've read on various forums about holding barrel down etc, which isn't satisfactory for me. I also read about filling the divot with wax, maybe that would be OK. Does anyone have advice /experience on what I can use to fill/smooth out this spot?
Thanks, :drinkers:
(not my photo, but this is the area):

I rethreaded the breech screw hole to 6/32 much easier to source. Also anytime I am tightening a breech screw on crosman or chaser , I clamp the breech to the tube so the screw does not have to do the work of pulling the breech tight to the tube. Basically firmly tighten it and release clamp Voila a very clamped and sealed transfer port.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:09 am 

Yes, good idea. I have a hard time wrapping my noggin around the use of such a small screw for such an important job. Anyhow, on my recently acquired 2240XL the breech screw is moved aft of the probe o-ring and behind the pellet so the loading problem is eliminated. It seems to work OK, I haven't detected a breach leak. The gas tube on the 2240XL has threaded holes to accept the original steel breach as well as the new design with the breach screw aft.

Attachments:
hidden breach.jpg
hidden breach.jpg [ 121.97 KiB | Viewed 442 times ]

))))----//----------==

Iacio, ergo sum

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:12 pm 

You could ?maybe? fill it with flux i.e. use a soldering iron. On the plus side it's relatively easy to remove with a solder sucker.

My main concern with this is how it would deal with big temperature changes, i.e. if it could pop out on its own from repeated heat cycles. I imagine you'll be pretty safe as a pellet gun like this only experiences slow temperature changes.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:14 pm 

delooper wrote:
You could ?maybe? fill it with flux i.e. use a soldering iron. On the plus side it's relatively easy to remove with a solder sucker.

My main concern with this is how it would deal with big temperature changes, i.e. if it could pop out on its own.

The candle wax works 100% no issues at all. Simple, clean and effective.

))))----//----------==

Iacio, ergo sum

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:34 pm 

I got some little birthday candles and keep a few in my airgun tool/parts box. A drop or two works good and also easy to remove, although you do not need to completely remove it, You can heat it with a match or cigarette lighter, just hold the open breech upside down over the flame for a second or two, or heat an allen screw just enough to slide through the wax easily and go from there. When and if the wax wears away from loading too many pellets it is easy to refresh.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:07 pm 

Dukemeister wrote:
delooper wrote:

My main concern with this is how it would deal with big temperature changes, i.e. if it could pop out on its own.

The candle wax works 100% no issues at all. Simple, clean and effective.

Wax is the simplest, and easiest solution. When you need to remove, heat with a small flame, match, cigarette ligher, holding open breech over flame for a few seconds , or even easier, heat the allen wrench and run it through the wax into the screw head. When the wax gets worn from too many loadings it is easy to refresh.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:12 pm 

Suggest you wrap a piece of 22 gauge copper wire around the screw. Make it into a washer. Just might squash enough to lift the head of the screw even with the breach.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:09 pm 

Found proper washers for this screw. airgun-parts.co.uk has them. $9 cdn + shipping for a pack of 10. Total $23 cdn.
Think Crosman should have included these with the steel breech kit. Their bad.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:18 pm 

Wiley wrote:
Found proper washers for this screw. airgun-parts.co.uk has them. $9 cdn + shipping for a pack of 10. Total $23 cdn.
Think Crosman should have included these with the steel breech kit. Their bad.

They solved the problem with the rear mounted breach screw on later models. The 2240XL for example, no screw in the breach area - no problem. Actually the wax works perfectly, save yourself $9 + shipping. :drinkers:

))))----//----------==

Iacio, ergo sum

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 12:58 pm 

... or re-thread to 4 x40 metric screws. Heads are a lot thicker than the skinny hex heads Crosman uses.
Heads may need to be turned down to fit the hole, depending on where they are bought.

-D.S.