Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Air rifle for my partner
PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2021 3:29 pm 

She currently has a Slavia 618 which she likes for the easy cocking and light weight but the accuracy is abysmal. I'd like to look for something better without breaking the bank. Ease of cocking, durability and easy shooting to reasonable offhand accuracy are the priority. It'll be something I sight in and she shoots whenever she's camping, she has zero interest in something that needs to be messed or fiddled with.
Suggestions appreciated. We both have a PAL.

-Grant

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2021 3:47 pm 

HW30: PAL or non PAL
https://dlairgun.com/collections/weihrauch-rifles

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2021 3:51 pm 

need to give us a price range ?
it sounds like she would preferer to shoot something that's fun and easy to handle ?
did you see this....topic90129.html

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2021 5:01 pm 

An HW30 is likely outside the price range, but definitely a similar option would be about right. She's more of a wood and blued steel person than a plastic type.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2021 5:44 pm 

grantmac wrote:
She currently has a Slavia 618 which she likes for the easy cocking and light weight but the accuracy is abysmal. I'd like to look for something better without breaking the bank. Ease of cocking, durability and easy shooting to reasonable offhand accuracy are the priority. It'll be something I sight in and she shoots whenever she's camping, she has zero interest in something that needs to be messed or fiddled with.

-Grant
Wow. A Slavia 618!!
I have never talked to anyone who has one of those other than me.
By coincidence I was just in the process of refinishing the stock on mine. It is likely almost 60 years old.
I rebuilt it a while ago since after a long hard life followed by decades of neglect it was not able to spit a pellet out of the barrel. It now is able to poke a hole in a target at 9 yards away in my basement. (Just did it now actually without even putting the action back in the stock! ) not that I recommend this for the faint of heart.
If this is the starting point and you are looking for an inexpensive plinker, I would suggest any of the cheap guns from Princess Auto. I have not tried their $39 special, but I have seen many reviews that say they work fine as an entry-level gun.
I bought a Crosman Optimus from PA , it was on sale for $130. I did some upgrades to it and I now love that gun.
Many good inexpensive options.

Do me a favor and post a picture of your Slavia.
Here is mine (still in pieces).
The serial number stamped into the stock on mine is R32221M.

Best wishes
Rob27
ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2021 6:26 pm 

grantmac wrote:
An HW30 is likely outside the price range, but definitely a similar option would be about right. She's more of a wood and blued steel person than a plastic type.

A nice and not too inexpensive replacement to her Slavia could be something like a Crosman Optimums or a Ruger Air Hawk. The Air Hawk is a Diana 34 copy and is a pretty decent wood 'n blue rifle without any fiddling. It has a nice T-05 trigger too. I had one and found it to be a good shooter, well made, etc. Sold it only because I gave up on .177 cal.

))))----//----------==

Iacio ergo sum

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2021 6:36 pm 

https://www.airgunforum.ca/store/produc ... cts_id=232

Really good price for the quality.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2021 6:50 pm 

grantmac wrote:

-Grant

Pm'd you!

Crosman 1377
Diana 240 Classic
Ruger Blackhawk .177
Weihrauch HW110 .22
Artemis M11 Mk2 .22
FX Dreamline Lite Compact .22
FX Impact MK3 .22
Daystate Red Wolf .22

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2021 7:49 pm 

Mac wrote:
https://www.airgunforum.ca/store/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=232

Really good price for the quality.

Excellent "find", Mac.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2021 9:53 pm 

I've had my 618 for 62 years and it's still making 7.9 gr pellet = 375 fps with the original spring and piston seal.

Have you considered a Diana Stormrider2? It's PCP, pf course, but a repeater with magazine or can single load with the supplied adapter.

My granddaughter is a small 12-year-old who handles mine very well. It is a .22 which drives 14.3 gr Crosman Premier HP @ 840 fps and will hit 100 metre .22 Rimfire Metallic Silhouette Ram reasonably well. No cocking effort, no springer "antics". Hand pump is no problem, even at 72 can pump while speaking on the phone. 300 clams isn't hard to take, IMO.

Webley Viscount .177
Crossman 1377 Classic Pump .177
Diana Stormrider2 .22
Kral Mega Marine Walnut .22
Artemis PP750 .22
FX Streamline .22 walnut
FX Streamline .22 composite

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2021 10:16 pm 

She's pretty averse to taking anything "extra" like a pump, but for actually shooting you're right that nothing beats a PCP. I have my eye on a few right now. Had a regulated QB79 years ago but then I got out of airguns for a while. Just grabbed a TX200 which I know she won't like at all.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2021 11:44 pm 

Canadian Tire has a Crosman Optimus on sale right now for $165.
Not a bad gun and easy to upgrade to PAL if desired.
It has a wooden stock which is one of your asks, but it is the longest air rifle that I own. Much longer than the Gecado.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 3:04 am 

She's 5'4" and has all her black powder rifles cut down. Prefers my Daisy 853 with no butt spacers. So something long is unlikely to be her preference.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 11:18 am 

I thought that I would give a more definitive reply than "the Optimus is longer". So I put the Slavia and the Optimus on the table with my HW50 in-between. See pics below.

The Slavia is about 35.5 inches from muzzle to butt.
The HW50 is 40.75
The Optimus is 42.25 (that extra 1.5 inches just makes it annoying to fit in my safe).

I also measured the length of pull on all 3 (not with high precision, but gives you the idea):
The Slavia LOP is about 13.5 inches
The HW50 is 14.5
The Optimus is 14.25

The Slavia also weighs approximately nothing!

Attachments:
3 muzzles LowRes.jpg
3 muzzles LowRes.jpg [ 178.5 KiB | Viewed 678 times ]
3 butts LowRes.jpg
3 butts LowRes.jpg [ 205.73 KiB | Viewed 678 times ]
Slavia HW50 Optimus LowRes.jpg
Slavia HW50 Optimus LowRes.jpg [ 239.7 KiB | Viewed 678 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 4:15 pm 

I'll get an overall length and weight measurement on one of her BP guns, that's probably a good way to get an idea of what she can handle.
The Xisico XS25 is tempting (in all it's various rebranding) for the right price if she can manage it. Perhaps I need to get one for myself then see if she likes it.