Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:16 am 

I'm well on my way to completing my very first set of wood grips to match my other wood furniture for the 13xx/22xx pistols. Let me tell you plain and simple it is no easy task, at least not for a novice with basic equipment. I thought cutting out the rough shape would be the hardest part and wasn't prepared for how much precision woodworking goes into these things. Here is the the outcome - at least 8 hrs work into them so far, lots of boo-boos too. Next will be shaping the hand hold contours. It will likely come down to something very simple - I'm no match to the people who know what they're doing, but I'm having fun and learning my limits - maybe I'll get good at it!

Attachments:
Band Saw Grips cut.jpg
Band Saw Grips cut.jpg [ 591.47 KiB | Viewed 695 times ]
grip 1.jpg
grip 1.jpg [ 249.16 KiB | Viewed 695 times ]
grip 2.jpg
grip 2.jpg [ 171.95 KiB | Viewed 695 times ]

))))----//----------==

Iacio, ergo sum

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:28 am 

You're getting there Duke, off course you need more tools to shape that, so you need more toys for the new hobby :)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:52 am 

pistolero wrote:
You're getting there Duke, off course you need more tools to shape that, so you need more toys for the new hobby :)

LOL, so true. I just ordered some new "right size" router bits on e-bay which will come on the slow boat from China, but it will make the work go faster and neater in future builds.

))))----//----------==

Iacio, ergo sum

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:54 pm 

Nice work!

I would love to know how guys were making these and selling them for $40... Seems like a good 2 day job... :lol:
There has to be an easier way. I suppose more tools would help, but if a guy isn't a wood carver, how do you know what you need?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 1:01 pm 

Template is the key, if you want to make it easy on everything and repeatability use cnc

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 1:19 pm 

killercrow wrote:
Nice work!

I would love to know how guys were making these and selling them for $40... Seems like a good 2 day job... :lol:
There has to be an easier way. I suppose more tools would help, but if a guy isn't a wood carver, how do you know what you need?

'Aint that the truth. You won't be getting rich if you do go into production - it would take me about 10 sets just to cover the new tools I bought for this!
You need a table router and some good bits, a band saw or scroll saw, a belt sander, a drum sander, some rasps, drill press, and a lot of patience. I have a good supply of "free" wood, but nothing too exotic just maple, birch and a bit of what I think is mahogany. I have some poplar as well that has a green hue to it, it may stain green pretty nicely. In the spring and summer I spent a lot of time working on my wife's hobby (looms and spinning wheels), so now it's my turn to make stuff for me! It takes skill, but for sure it also takes the right tools; there is big difference between making a shed and a cabinet. I usually end up making a shedinet or a cabined whatever i set out to do. :oops:

))))----//----------==

Iacio, ergo sum

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 2:56 pm 

LOL - "shedinet"
I can relate!
I actually would like to make some grips for my 2240. I really do not like the shape of the originals and I have a piece of foam insulation taped on to make it feel better to me.
Perhaps looking at the great work that you have done will get me down to the shop to make some sawdust.

Well done!
Rob27

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:27 pm 

I made this years ago, used a bandsaw and rasp file, belt sander

Attachments:
20190105_191405.jpg
20190105_191405.jpg [ 53.96 KiB | Viewed 620 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:18 pm 

Power tools are a necessity if you want to make ANY money at this game.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 3:19 am 

But if you wanna build some weird neck/shoulder muscles you didn't know you had, use chisels :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 1:11 pm 

Did shaping with router, drum sander, belt sander and rasp.. Here is the next intermediate step.
It feels pretty comfortable in my hand, so I'm on the right track. After I took these photos i took of some or the rough edges on the sanders, next I'll start smoothing it out with an orbital sander and hand sanding. I will make a smaller fore stock to match these grips when my router bits arrive, the fore stock goes well with the shoulder stock but looks too big for the hand grips. I've put 3 more hrs into it, and I think 3hr more should get it ready for finishing, so overall it's about 2 days work to make the first set.

Attachments:
Grip stage 2a.jpg
Grip stage 2a.jpg [ 525.15 KiB | Viewed 573 times ]
Grip stage 2b.jpg
Grip stage 2b.jpg [ 298.77 KiB | Viewed 573 times ]
Grip stage 2c.jpg
Grip stage 2c.jpg [ 617.51 KiB | Viewed 573 times ]

))))----//----------==

Iacio, ergo sum

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 8:38 pm 

Finished! :shock: Well almost, still needs some oil on it but I have to let the stain dry for a while. It was a lot of work but it turned out nice. Now time to try making a shoulder stock, lessons learned from this grip project will come in handy going forward. First pic sanded before staining, then the finished grips on my 13xx (2289) pumper.

Attachments:
Grips sanded 1.jpg
Grips sanded 1.jpg [ 447 KiB | Viewed 549 times ]
22xx 13xx pistol grips finished.jpg
22xx 13xx pistol grips finished.jpg [ 91.56 KiB | Viewed 549 times ]

))))----//----------==

Iacio, ergo sum