Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 1:54 pm 

Howdy,

Recently purchased a Crosman 2240 in the discount bin at Cabela's for well under $60 with my mil discount.

My intention with this air pistol is inexpensive marksman practice & to harvest grouse while in the backcountry hunting larger ungulates. There are a few mods that I am interested in & I am looking for sources. Preferably Canadian. Shop local, right?!

1) Left handed breech (steel or aluminum) with a dovetail to add a MRDS or a pic rail to add and MRDS. I want a left handed breech so I may reload with my support hand rather than break my primary hand grip. Aluminum preferred to lighten weight. 'Ounces equal pounds; Pounds equal pain.'

2) Stubby barrel (6") to reduce OAL and weight.

I will undoubtedly be looking to mod the internals and will continue to add to this thread accordingly.

TIA

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 2:44 pm 

Great deal on a fun pistol.
I get the left-handed bolt idea. I thought the same thing when I got my 2240. If it had a multi shot magazine that would be a big help.
As a single shot with a bit of fiddling required to load each pellet, I actually find it easier to open the bolt and stuff the pellet in with my more coordinated dominant hand.
This gun is not built for quick follow-up shots unless you are much more coordinated than I am!
Happy modding!
Rob27

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 2:56 pm 

These magazines work pretty good but they have to be reloaded after emptying. I thought the extra tubes could be carried loaded but they aren't designed that way. Still work nicely for 9-10 quick shots

https://www.ebay.ca/sch/i.html?isRefine ... jamesthoro

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 3:08 pm 

I looked at all these mods to add an optic to my 2240, but the steel breech plus the mag... I ended up buying a Diana Airbug instead.
Not completely in love with it yet, but getting there.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 3:28 pm 

I've got a 9 shot gravmag on my steel breeched 2240 and it works great. With a right hand bolt and shoulder stock it fires very quickly, fast enough that the CO2 starts having thermal issues if I load and shoot a few 9 shot strings as fast as I can.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 4:59 pm 

WhiskeyDeltaGulf wrote:

1) Left handed breech (steel or aluminum) with a dovetail to add a MRDS or a pic rail to add and MRDS. I want a left handed breech so I may reload with my support hand rather than break my primary hand grip. Aluminum preferred to lighten weight. 'Ounces equal pounds; Pounds equal pain.'

I recall seeing this available in the UK, at GMAC... not too expensive. They have a whole whack of breeches for the 22xx and 13xx, multi-shot and every which calibre as well. I saw brass (heavier than steel, but I dont recall aluminum - maybe the have that too.
https://gmaccustomparts.com/gmac-black- ... reech-only
<edit> I just noticed the GMAC breeches have 2 setscrews for the barrel... cool.

))))----//----------==

Iacio ergo sum

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 1:26 pm 

I bought my LH steel breeches with hollow probe from gmac. I like the extended hollow probes because they push the pellet in straighter than a conventional style probe so less chance of deforming the pellet, so more consistent velocity and accuracy. 2240s are usually under 450fps and shortening the barrel will lower fps even more as well as reduce accuracy. There wont be many internal mods to make up for that loss of power.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 4:09 pm 
Site Moderator

"My intention with this air pistol is inexpensive marksman practice & to harvest grouse while in the backcountry hunting larger ungulates."

If I remember correctly deer and moose season opens up in mid October. I'm guessing your plan is to shoot grouse in Oct-Dec while hunting these larger mammals. Unfortunately a 6" barrel on a CO2 pistol during cold temps won't yield you much power.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 2:01 pm 

Grouse season opens in September in Alberta. Our annual elk hunt in in the same timeframe in the 400 series here in Alberta.

I was able to walk up on grouse within 5 ft during our time in the mountains. They are so unaccustomed to people that deep in the mountains.