Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: RPAL
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 10:24 pm 

Sent off my application for non restricted/restricted on Oct 28.

Got it in the mail today.
They contacted none of my references....
Quick turnaround, but really ? They didn't call anyone ? Lol.

Now let the buying begin !

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk

Post subject: Re: RPAL
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 10:44 pm 

Kennykustom wrote:

None of my contacts were contacted, either.

I think they likely only bother if something about your application doesn't pass a "smell test".

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:26 pm 

delooper wrote:
Kennykustom wrote:

None of my contacts were contacted, either.

I think they likely only bother if something about your application doesn't pass a "smell test".
I'll have to tell my buddy that.
We applied at the same time, but his is still in limbo !

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 12:12 am 

In the old days of the FAC I had to go in and meet with an officer in person... these days I can send in a computer form. So much safer for society. Yet I can't own half of the guns that I used to be able to back then, idiot gun laws.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 5:35 am 

Congraulations on Rpal. First gun = First day of being though as a crimal by law enforcement in this new world.

First got mine many years ago when they started the system they even called my exwife. Then I got called in for an interveiw and cops asked me why I wanted a gun with all my armed robberys. Said I have no record. He showed me my file and instead of two EE's in last name it was EI. Had to get a lawyer in to straten it out. Always wondered why I would get pulled over daily sometimes two or 3 times a day in my 69 Mustang Coupe. At the time it was happening I figured they just wanted to see the inside of the car. Never any charges being pulled over and they were always respectful. That all took place in City of Kitchener.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 7:40 am 

wheeliehd wrote:
Congraulations on Rpal. First gun = First day of being though as a crimal by law enforcement in this new world.

First got mine many years ago when they started the system they even called my exwife. Then I got called in for an interveiw and cops asked me why I wanted a gun with all my armed robberys. Said I have no record. He showed me my file and instead of two EE's in last name it was EI. Had to get a lawyer in to straten it out. Always wondered why I would get pulled over daily sometimes two or 3 times a day in my 69 Mustang Coupe. At the time it was happening I figured they just wanted to see the inside of the car. Never any charges being pulled over and they were always respectful. That all took place in City of Kitchener.

LOL~ That's too bad~

However I think either your Mustang just too beautiful or you plate number and car model was on the list and every cop got notified ~ :)

(didn't you start riding a bike then?! ;) )

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 8:04 am 

Congratulation on your RPAL :partyman:

Headdamage wrote:
In the old days of the FAC I had to go in and meet with an officer in person... these days I can send in a computer form. So much safer for society. Yet I can't own half of the guns that I used to be able to back then, idiot gun laws.

Same here, first one as a teenager in the early 80s.
- Had to book an appointment with the local chief of police for a "interview"... and a few week later (and $10), received my brown paper slip in the mail... it's all been downhill ever since.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 1:18 pm 

I had more trouble with my 1983 chev. Z22 then getting my PAL century's ago :lol:

SilentMan... :drinkers:

6mm
Not enough and to many.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 2:58 pm 

Kennykustom wrote:

Glad you didn't have any trouble, Kenny. One of the smell tests, is if someone of the same gender (not name) and birth date has EVER been suspect of a crime - yes - doesn't even have to have been charged and you will be red-flagged. I found that out when my wife and I registered to deliver meals during the Christmas week, to seniors less mobile than we are. I was phoned to come in for finger prints after the record-check papers were sent in. The gal told me that person of the same gender and birth date was a suspect in a crime, some time ago and they wanted my finger prints. I suggested for them to check the B.C. Corrections or RCMP files as my prints were on record with both places. LOL - that's where that "investigation" stopped.
We delivered a whack of meals and bags of food. Happy to do it.
Reminds me, I have to renew mine this year. Better get at it. I need it in 5 months. They've taken 6 months the last 2 renewals.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 3:12 pm 

I have owned handguns since before FAC, which was before PAL/RPAL.
https://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/en/history-firearms-canada

Nothing works and I don't know why.

Two lathes and too many projects

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 1:38 pm 

Being one of the great procrastinators, I left my application to grandfather into the RPAL from my FAC to the last day. Took some time off work in the afternoon and drove over to the police station to hand in my paperwork and cash. It turns out I am not the only one to leave things to the last minute. There was quite a line of procrastinators, enough that they had a take a number machine. Took my number and got in line, was there about 20-30 minutes when the guy ahead of me turns around and asks if I have my money order or certified cheque, they won't take cash you know. :-o .
BUT but it's legal tender they have to take it! Well apparently they don't. Long story longer didn't get my RPAL that day, had to challenge and write the exam. Thankfully over all the years of gun ownership I haven't picked up enough bad habits to fail. :D

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 7:05 pm 

Did the same thing. I went to the police station the last day. Guess what? That department was not opened that day! Had to start over like I was a rookie. I remembered writing my f.a.c. 10 questions like do you hear noises? So,I have my safe gun handling course, fac, pal,rpal, a couple tests at my gun club.Hunting license test. Out of all the tests I wrote, I scored 100% except on a couple questions. My wife had to sign papers from rcmp, and the asked my neighbours about me, while doing my background check! The average person that agrees with gun bans doesnt know the things they put you through to own these!!! Sorry about the rant.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 7:17 pm 

On a related note... the our Dear Leader/Ponce and his minions have yet to figure out what we do with the firearms they prohibited April 2020. There are approximately 4 months left before the amnesty runs out at this point. When I call the firearms center they are still telling me to keep them locked up and they will figure it out.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 5:32 pm 

Kennykustom wrote:

Wait what? I sent mine off October 4th and it's still stuck in "We've completed our initial review" status :(

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:28 am 

You can call and ask. I believe that got mine moving. Squeaky wheel but after a decent wait, first. And be nice!