Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Total noob
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 4:20 pm 

Hello,
I went through 3 pages of posts and did not see anything noob so....

It is for a 14 year old, do they like guns? They like Fornite, fishing and being a vegetarian.
We live in a urban setting, a lot of green space but it is also populated will have to find a place to take it out to.
Non-lead pellets will be what they like.
Exploding caps are certainly better than hitting a can.

This is supposed to be fun and hassle free. I know nothing about this aside from firearms licenses are required if 500fps + energy from muzzle projectile. We certainly don't want hassles. We (at least I am) are very cautious.

So
1) We have a long backyard, maybe shooting on the property is not a good idea, they could shoot against a garage at 50 feet.
2) I have seen the Crossman 4-177 is that a good choice?
3) Is shooting BBs in this a good idea, I read it may screw up the rifling.

thanks....yes, total noob here : - )

Post subject: Re: Total noob
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 4:24 pm 

Were are you from

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 5:04 pm 

Ask questions or use the search engine is better than just read through posts from page to page... We have a long history here and there's not a specific sub forum for noobs....

Shooting in the backyard, out side of the house may not be a good choice in the city core (urban setup as you said). Attracting attention from those gun haters will always bring you trouble.

In general, shooting steel BBs in a pellet gun will damage the rifling for sure. But it depends too. Constant dropping water wears away a stone.

I think you should consider that on the other way, rifling is for shooting lead pellets much more accurately than smooth bore shooting BBs... I don't see any point to do it reversely to shoot BB with a rifled barrel...

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 5:20 pm 

Welcome to the forum, prestoOne.

CO2 is the way to go for non-lead projectiles & gun longevity.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 5:45 pm 

lauchlin wrote:
Were are you from

Just east of the GTA; North Whitby.

YepYep wrote:
Shooting in the backyard, out side of the house may not be a good choice in the city core (urban setup as you said). Attracting attention from those gun haters will always bring you trouble.
In general, shooting steel BBs in a pellet gun will damage the rifling for sure. But it depends too. Constant dropping water wears away a stone.
I think you should consider that on the other way, rifling is for shooting lead pellets much more accurately than smooth bore shooting BBs... I don't see any point to do it reversely to shoot BB with a rifled barrel...

YepYep wrote:

Daryl wrote:
Welcome to the forum, prestoOne.
CO2 is the way to go for non-lead projectiles & gun longevity.
lauchlin wrote:
Were are you from

Yes, this is type of info I am looking for. Some of it is common sense but that doesn't mean it is common to me.

I don't recall seeing anyone shoot an air rifle but we have a lot of green space up here; small forests with hills. Will likely put some skin or bright paint on it to make it look less like a firearm.

Local by-laws (there are about 6 local towns/areas with their own rules): No discharging Property owned by the Town
On or within 100 m of any property used for the purpose of school, worship, nursery school, community recreation centre or park
Within 300 m of a conservation area
Within 100 m of any dwelling (unless the dwelling is owned by the person discharging firearms or you have written permission from the owner of the dwelling)
On, across or within 8 m of any highway, private road or recreational trail

I will contact OFAH for leads on areas.

OK....so back to the question of making it fun with the right stuff.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 6:34 pm 

Thanks and welcome to the forum .....

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 7:09 pm 

:). Welcome to the forum and the new hobby!looks you already been well prepared and knows the by laws in your town... And reads those are for firearms? So I am thinking as a sub 500fps air guns, which just much safer than those listed on the by laws...

Just setup a ranger within your property area and you are good to go to the next step to pick a gun then?! :)

As we know, looking for something good for 50bfeet and teenagers can handle, right? How about the budget? And it's just for testing water to see if you could dive in it, right?

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 7:30 pm 

Personally I would stick to lead pellets vs BB's. The lead pellets will deform and won't likely want to ricochet as much as a steel BB will. What we got away with as kids 50 years ago would land us in jail today.

You can buy/build pellet traps to pin targets on or back-up spinner targets for fun in the yard. Talking to your neighbors first might head off potential issues. Any bush lot in town limits will likely get you reported to the cops. Any bush lot outside town limits, in Southern Ontario, is likely privately owned.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 8:20 pm 

Daisy 853. Very quiet, very accurate and reliable.