Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:20 pm 

I searched and found this thread--->
viewtopic.php?p=573532#p573532
Of course, all sound advice for a first approach, but ultimately did not work.
With that level of interference, I expect its meant to be permanent and likely also provides some choke. But I'd like to move it to a 14.6" barrel, so if anyone has ever done it, or knows of someone real or virtual who has, at least 2 of us would be grateful to know.
Thanks, Duke.

Attachments:
2240xl muzzle.jpg
2240xl muzzle.jpg [ 326.85 KiB | Viewed 778 times ]

))))----//----------==

Iacio ergo sum

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:13 pm 

Reverse thread? Can you see inside the end to verify it is threaded and which direction?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:12 pm 

killercrow wrote:
Reverse thread? Can you see inside the end to verify it is threaded and which direction?

Can't see any thread inside. The adapter is flush with the muzzle.

Well, I put a 1/2-20 nut on the thread, stuck the barrel in my vice and tightened with all my might and it didn't budge. If it s a LHT then I would try some heat and maybe the impact wrench but unless I know for sure I won't give that a go. Got a sweet boo-boo on my pinky as well, that wasn't fun. :( :(

))))----//----------==

Iacio ergo sum

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:26 pm 

Bummer. Maybe if it won't cause any damage to the material, hit it with some good synthetic gun oil or penetrant?

Is it aluminum on steel?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:39 pm 

Steel, very nicely made - the made in USA Crosmans have pretty good workmanship (even though I suspect the parts are from overseas, assembled in USA).

Attachments:
muzzle adapter 2240xl.jpg
muzzle adapter 2240xl.jpg [ 379.4 KiB | Viewed 738 times ]

))))----//----------==

Iacio ergo sum

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:22 pm 

Easiest way to assemble that, besides using a grub screw, would be either pressed on, or heat fitted. I don't know the term. Sweated?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:33 pm 

Shrink fit, maybe. I used to fatigue test con-rods for big Ford V8's. The simulated piston shaft was shrink fit by chilling it in liquid N2 and dropping it through the con-rod hole heated to around 500C. Doing it that way makes for a scratch fee installation and hence avoids fatigue failure at the bearing - the intent is to get the con-rod to fail in its body, anyhow I digress. It's a definite possibility that the muzzle adapter is press fit or shrink fit on the barrel - but unlikely Crosman would go to the trouble of chilling the barrel in N2, so likely just heating the adapter and pushing it on. If this is the case then heating it with a torch should allow it to come off, but JayDee24ca has tried that and couldn't get it to budge. So, both it and I are stuck, so to speak. :lol: :drinkers: I have posed the Q on GTA as well, we'll see what they have to say.

))))----//----------==

Iacio ergo sum

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:49 pm 

To close the loop, I got some definitive answers on GTA
https://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/in ... 82.new#new

Anyhow, from reputable sources: it isn't made to come off, and those who did get them off say both the barrel and the adapter get ruined. So there you have it. It's in the parts bin.

))))----//----------==

Iacio ergo sum

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:30 pm 

Aha! Well that's a bummer.
If it helps you out, I have this. Looks like maybe an air stripper that's missing the cone. ? It fits crosman barrels, but the threaded end is reverse 14mmx1.0

Attachments:
IMG_20220109_162458665.jpg
IMG_20220109_162458665.jpg [ 642.48 KiB | Viewed 675 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:36 pm 

As I understand it is permanently attached, how I do not know. The easiest and best solution is to get a new barrel and swap it out, barrels are relatively cheap.