Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 9:27 pm 

Hello gang! Just wanted to ask if I need a high or medium mount for 44mm obj. on linear dovetail mounting? ( Pro Elite, HW98 ) Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 9:35 pm 

Medium height would be better. You want the scope as close as possible to the barrel and unless you have a breach under the scope to deal with, I can see no reason to use high mounts. I like low/medium mounts on my springers.

))))----//----------==

Iacio ergo sum

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 9:59 pm 

Yep ~. Agree to the lower clearance possible to mount scopes...

And must be noted that mount height could be different when it's from different manufacture or brand names... A low/medium/high profile just for a general reference... Better to know the exact size and clearance measurement if you are going to buy something expensive... If just the cheap ones, I could just buy one of each to see which fits beat... :)

44mm size object lens is a tricky one, you might need a high profile mount or a medium mount could just fit perfectly... If yours is a 42mm size scope, pretty sure the medium mount will fit just perfectly...

Below is my cz200, when I changed it to use a single shot side loader, I changed my rings to a lower size immediately... And you can see the difference in the picture ~ Image

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:03 pm 

Thanks Duke, I don’t see putting a mega scope on either of these guns, looking at the Hawk one piece at D and L. Has a drop pin for scope stop as well.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:06 pm 

Geez Yep, that’s a beauty! I’ll measure for sure. Any problems just getting high mounts? Is there a chance it would mess with the turret range if the scope is too high off the receiver? Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:13 pm 

JohnB wrote:
Geez Yep, that’s a beauty! I’ll measure for sure. Any problems just getting high mounts? Is there a chance it would mess with the turret range if the scope is too high off the receiver? Thanks.
Not really... If you use out the turrets adjustment, there usually would be something else and not really about the height of the mount/rings...

In theory, imagine you are shooting a laser gun and no need to worry about the trajectory of your pellet , your sight line from the scope has an angle to the line from the barrel ... The higher the scope placed, the angle will be bigger.

So, when you aim at the target, and want to hit it, your scope need to be zeroed right at the spot (the two lines just meet at the target). And if you move backwards or forward, the two line will miss each other, and you will miss the target (shooting too low or too high)

Especially power of the airgun is not as powerful as powder burners to shoot far beyond 100meters, 200 meters or more... We just shoot in 10 meter, 20 meters something... So a higher mounted scope will make the case more complicated....

If my eyes are still good as 10, 20 years ago, I would rather put open sights on all my rifles, with correct pellets and power, the tolerance for shooting distance just makes you don't even need to think about and can hit everything in your sight...

Sorry about my ESL and hope you could understand what I mean....

You might be also interested on 'hold over' / 'hold under'... That's something also related and very useful to know how a scope works... :)

~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:20 pm 

Here are two old pictures on my other springers... there were the 40mm size scope and low profile mounts?! The scope and the action is almost touch each other, just a copier paper distance between them, but that's good enough~ :)ImageImage

~Target~

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:59 am 

Thanks again, I noticed the Discovery brand on the scopes, are they still made?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 9:25 am 

The one in the picture is an old model and discontinued. But I believe the Discovery brand is still making scopes however I hears their quality and price are not as impressive as before... Maybe just their entry level scopes. But if the price is close enough or same, for example the Hawke, although the it is made in China too, I could pick other names rather than it...

~Target~

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 9:59 am 

Spring guns have a reputation for being hard on scopes. You might want to investigate the warranties offered by the various manufacturers. Some have lifetime warranties on the scope, some have lifetime to the original owner, some have lifetime on only some models in their line up. You tend to get what you pay for but only you can make that decision.

Scope ring height is dictated by the outside diameter of the objective lense. Be aware how high your scope is going to sit on your rifle. This will affect how well you can see thru the scope when you have the rifle shouldered. If the scope is too high you will have difficulty getting a consistent cheek weld unless you have a stock with an adjustable cheek piece. If you have to lift your head off the stock to see thru the scope you will have trouble being consistent.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:27 pm 

If you're shooting offhand then set the scope as high as the cheek piece will allow. On the HW98 That's probably rather high.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 3:29 pm 

grantmac wrote:
If you're shooting offhand then set the scope as high as the cheek piece will allow. On the HW98 That's probably rather high.

I certainly agree with this. If you can get your scope up higher it makes for a much more comfortable, heads up position, whether you are shooting offhand, on a bench, off your knee or whatever.

Generally, if my stock does not have an adjustable cheek piece, I create one. I have my beech stock for my TX all marked, ready to cut out.

Most 10 M shooters have their sights raised for this reason.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 3:40 pm 

The European gun makers all knew this: Heads-up maintains equilibrium better & standing shooting better accuracy than the stock-crawling hard cheek weld sort that the US military teaches.
Note the Olympic-style of standing shooting: heads-up, bring the gun up to the face, not the face down onto the gun.
Of course with springers having barrel droop, the higher the centre of the scope, the more down angle is needed in the base itself in order to get a close range zero.
These are a compromise & are Leapers mounts:
The bottom one is better for standing shooting and the upper one, seems best from a rest, however I've done OK with the thumbhole stock, shooting standing as well.

Attachments:
HW 97s resized2.jpg
HW 97s resized2.jpg [ 428.44 KiB | Viewed 577 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:19 pm 

Great Question. I’m still new, I’ve been learning a lot about scoping since I got my last new scope about 3 months ago. I’ve only just had my latest little epiphany regarding scope height maybe 3 weeks ago? I’ll get to it in a sec.

I was using medium-height mounts for all my scopes. I think that 40mm scopes are the largest that medium-height mounts will accommodate. I discovered early on that, for me, the total diameter of the objective lens included the covers. The lens covers had to fit in there too. I needed to use shims sometimes to do this.

When I first started scoping, I needed to understand stop-pins and stop-pin holes. (I’ve only done basic dovetail installations, no rails or risers yet. As has been stated, I think it’s good to keep scopes low to the barrel, if you can.) First it was stop-pins on Crosman mounts, then the pointy ones on my Hawke mounts. I mostly have that figured out. I’ve got comfortable drilling stop-pin holes in my rifles. It’s nice that none of my rifles is so precious to prevent me from doing that.

Stop-pin location is important because it is directly related to the eye relief of the scope. So that was something I wrestled with after I got my last one. It’s nice having a couple few rifles and sets of mounts (and scopes!) to swap around. One rifle is always informing the other.

It worked real well for me to figure out stop-pin location and eye relief before sorting scope height.

A month or two ago, I found that I liked high-height scope mounts on my Optimus. It just sort of happened in all the swapping, I didn’t think too much about it at the time.

But I’ve been thinking much more about it recently. See, ever since I got my Cometa back in August, I’ve lusted after a new one, a Star model with adjustable comb (cheekpiece). A big purchase for me. And D&L is getting new Cometas soon. An adjustable comb is all about scope height, so yeah, I’ve been thinking about it.

Ok. The epiphany. One day recently, I was shooting the Cometa. It had the awesome Airmax on medium-height mounts, shimmed a little to accommodate the lens covers; so, mounted as low as possible. It had been shooting great. I shouldered the rifle comfortably, I welded my cheek and looked through the scope. When I looked through, the field of vision was not a circle. How could this be? I had worked out the eye relief.

The scope was mounted too low. How had I missed this?

Mounting the scope as low as possible to the receiver is ideal in theory but it’s not the place to start. This is what I did but I was blindly putting the cart before the horse.

I swapped out the mounts. The high ones are perfect. I’m loving the Fusion and the Airmax more than ever.

So after 5 months of imagining my dream Cometa with adjustable comb, my plan has changed. Good thing, I may have saved myself 240 bucks or more. I found a sweet alternative Cometa. I bought it on Tuesday, should be here soon, the frozen roads are starting to thaw.

All because I sort of figured out scope height.

.177 Cometa Fusion, Vantage 3-9x40
.177 Cometa Fenix LT, Endurance 4-16x50
.22 Cometa Fenix, Airmax 3-9x40

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:05 pm 

I’ve settled on the high mounts, I checked the scope measure including flip caps and it should be perfect. It’s going on my Air Arms Pro Elite so it’s not really a target set up. I just need solid. Glad to get you talking folks and thanks for the input. As well as the photos of the girls!