Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Need a new Chrony!
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:17 pm 

Hey all! Old chrony is toast, please recommend indoor unit? Thanks in advance

Post subject: Re: Need a new Chrony!
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:58 pm 

FX Chrony, small portable don’t need lights and all, been very good for me and works with the FX App on your phone.
It also keeps shot strings, profiles of your gun and pellets etc….lots more.

Good luck

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:19 pm 

Thank you, so I assume it runs off battery? My old one needed desk lights over the filters!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:30 pm 

You could always buy 10 of these: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001 ... mainSearch

Mine works very well and no longer use my shooting chrony. It saves a string but only while powered. I added a couple of rubber strips rather than metal to metal clamping onto the barrel.

Webley Viscount .177
Crossman 1377 Classic Pump .177
Diana Stormrider2 .22
Kral Mega Marine Walnut .22
Artemis PP750 .22
FX Streamline .22 walnut
FX Streamline .22 composite

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:11 am 

FX chrony for me compact,Never failed yet.Only downside is the cost.But it has all the pellets/slugs,boc,scopes,calibers,Enter it,it will have it..

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:04 am 

I have used a Chrony Beta for >10yrs and it still does the job. Mind you it did crap out for unknown reasons while still under warranty, but I sent it back and it was returned in working order within a few weeks. Chrony is out of business now so you're unlikely to be able to get it fixed or find a new one anywhere. The modern radar based chronographs are attractive because they are small, accurate, not depending on lighting, and probably not sensitive to perfect alignment of trajectory with sensor 1 and sensor 2 (How many ERR 2 I have with my Chrony drives me crazy). The drawback I foresee is the phone app may be defunct in a few years, OK so maybe 5+ years from now, it may not be compatible with Android or iOs. A stand alone device not depending on an app may be the way to go.

))))----//----------==

Iacio ergo sum

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:59 am 

Location: Southern Gulf Islands, Beautiful British Columbia, Canada
Tallieho1 wrote:
FX chrony for me compact,Never failed yet.Only downside is the cost.But it has all the pellets/slugs,boc,scopes,calibers,Enter it,it will have it..

Owning one myself, I'll second that. However, Duke raises a very valid point in regards to app dependent hardware -I currently own two pieces of gear that no longer function because the manufacturer didn't upgrade their app with a change in OS. I blame the big corporations for this, as PC operating systems make old apps backwards compatible, no reason why it shouldn't be the same for smartphone OS upgrades. All just a money making game to force purchase of something new, IMHO.

On the flip side, The FX Pocket Chronograph is supported by a very large and successful company, and I'd think they'd have the resources to update their app software with each change in smartphone OS.

My FX Chrony has performed flawlessly for me in all lighting conditions -factoring in the frustration aspect of fiddling around trying to get consistent readings with a light based system, and hoping you don't have a flyer pellet taking the unit out, the FX is worth the extra $$, again, IMHO.

As in all things, you get what you pay for.

Cheers!

Avianmanor

*Air Arms S510 Extra*Artemis M11 MK II*CZ 200S*Benjamin Marauder*Brocock Concept*Cometa Orion*Daystate Huntsman*Daystate Revere*FX Dreamline*FX Streamline*Hatsan BT65*Kral Puncher*Reximex RPA*QB78D*Weihrauch HW100S*Artemis PP700SA*PP750*Snowpeak CP1-M*

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:57 am 

Dukemeister wrote:
. . . sensitive to perfect alignment of trajectory with sensor 1 and sensor 2 (How many ERR 2 I have with my Chrony drives me crazy).

Yes. I have a ShootingChrony, a Master Alpha. Early on, even after I mostly had it figured out, I was still getting the odd error or small string of them. Then I got a decent tripod from the thrift store for 12 bucks and mounted it on that. And I found a method. I almost never get errors anymore. I'll describe my method here.

Yes, the barrel, sensors and target must be in perfect alignment. I imagine that this may be tricky for shorter distances. I've done all my sessions at 17m and this alignment is rather critical. The chrony needs to be quite level, left to right and front to back on the tripod. And the rifle needs to be shooting through the vertical sweet spot of the chrony.

I place the rifle on it's rest, look through the scope and make sure it's pointing straight at the target. Then I shuffle the tripod a couple feet in front of the barrel, look back over the chrony at the barrel and quickly line them up in a general way. Then I go back to the rifle, make sure it's still pointing at the target. Then I sort of look over the barrel and sensors, at the target. It's fairly easy to see if they're all aligned or not. Then I'll go to the tripod and make small adjustments; I'll move the feet of the tripod incrementally, a few mm at a time if necessary, left or right. Go back to the rifle. I'll repeat this 2 or 3 times until it's correct. I used to have toothpicks taped to the chrony front and back on sensor-centre to help with this, but I don't need that anymore.

Setting up this way, I'm able to have long chrony sessions, multiple rifles and pellets. No errors. Nothing but fun. And efficient.

If I'm shooting through the vertical sweet spot, I can do a whole column of targets on the page without changing the height of the chrony or the rest. But if I finish one column of targets and move to the adjacent column, I have to make a small adjustment to the feet of the tripod under sensor 2. Just one little adjustment usually. The chrony session goes on error-free.

I think I've only done one chrony session to measure downrange velocity, some time ago. In that case, when I moved from one target down to the next in a vertical column on the page, I had to move the chrony down too, to avoid error. I may have got away with 2 targets before I had to move the chrony.

Hope this helps.

.177 Cometa Fusion, Vantage 3-9x40
.177 Cometa Fenix LT, Endurance 4-16x50
.22 Cometa Fenix, Airmax 3-9x40

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:43 pm 

Attachment:
Chrony.JPG
Chrony.JPG [ 298.58 KiB | Viewed 571 times ]
Well, I'll be damned.. you can still buy a Shooting Chrony.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3283809 ... e_order:43

))))----//----------==

Iacio ergo sum

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 1:36 am 

I have a Caldwell Ballistic Precision Chronograph:
https://www.amazon.ca/Caldwell-720001-B ... 73&sr=8-15

I've been very happy with. I didn’t buy the one with the lights due to price at the time:
https://www.amazon.ca/Caldwell-Ballisti ... 5290&psc=1

Last week I just did one of these LED light mods to mine and it works awesome!:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsGmUTrRh5g

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 8:34 am 

attk11 wrote:
I have a Caldwell

Last week I just did one of these LED light mods to mine and it works awesome!:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsGmUTrRh5g

Caldwell is a good old school chronograph. But shouldnt the LED light strips be on top of the diffuser?
Perhaps the diffuser is only needed for outdoor usage. If it works that's what matters.

))))----//----------==

Iacio ergo sum