Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:15 am 

Hi everyone just bought a new Weihrauch hk 80 in wood stock and new 3-9x40 scope with
one piece medium height weihrauch mount in .22 cal cant wait to shoot this rig its still in transit any pointers on this
new rifle would be apperciated . thanks :D

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:58 pm 

Well done, cool magnum air rifle.

Experiment with different holds when shooting from a rest of offhand - end of forend, middle of forend, just in front of the TGuard when resting on the bag(s).
Holding the forend at the front, middle of the forend and in front of the TGuard when shooting standing.
Also, cheek pressure, hand pressure can all make a difference in accuracy.
Check this out!
topic90623.html

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:43 pm 

Can't go wrong with HW for Sure! Echo the advice given in previous post. I was shown by an ft shooter about how to apply the grip with your trigger hand. Most of us want to wrap our hand around the grip of the rifle, then poke out our trigger finger and find Metal! If you concentrate on a linear pull, that is, straight trigger travel, you will achieve better results. Watch Steve on you tube reviews, it seems he adjusts his grip often. The truth is he is fighting the human instinct to " Grip " a tool or instrument . Focus on straight pull from the trigger finger to the back of the grip. Everyone holds the rifle differently, you should be relaxed and confident. Don't feel like you have to contain the rifle. Direct it, shoulder it, pull the trigger in a straight line, and let her Twaaaaang!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:56 pm 

Can't help but ask with your handle............shouldn't you be tying Flies?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:46 am 

I tie flies, but not while I'm shooting my air rifles, my rim fires, my centre fire rifles or shoguns or my muzzleloading shotgun or rifles- or my centre fire handguns or rim fire handguns.
There is time for everything, along with fishing!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:31 pm 

Thanks a bunch Daryl and JohnB,after all the snow and cold so far this winter in so done tying flys i have countless
boxes full already lol .Nest winter mexico covid or no covid lol..I guess shooting a springer is differant than a high
power rifle of which i have many some i put together myself.Just like diving with tanks and free diving are similar
but very differant .You must learn how to hold breath and fill lungs when free diving and with diving you must take
shollow small breaths lol.Thanks for the tips guys . :D

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:35 pm 

Just like fly casting ( I've been an instructor for more than 20 yrs) learning to shoot a spring rifle makes you more appreciative of the self contained power plant. When you make a nice tight loop flycasting you are rewarded even if you don't catch a Fish! Enjoy your latest purchase, and beat up those bones next time you're in Mexico!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:39 pm 

An HW80 was my first spring piston airgun, back in 1994. It took a few weeks to find the right hold, but I found it and it is very accurate now.

After a tin of pellets, or several hundred ronds, it smoothed out and became easier to shoot accurately too.

I started off with a .177 full length barrel and later ordered a .22 carbine barrel. Both are equally accuarate enough for me. which is under 1/2 inch group at 25 yards. Mine likes .22 caliber JSB 15.9 gr and H&N Field Target Tropy pellets.

Dave

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:19 pm 

Thanks again everyone

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:33 pm 

I own an Hw80k which I just replaced the mainspring and seal with factory parts. I can definitely suggest a spring kit or tune for it. I found that mine recoiled so much I actually felt it in my trigger finger. My rifle has a liner and reduced power spring and feels like an Hw95 now and its still shooting in the low 700s. Other than that the Hw80 is a very high quality rifle I am sure you will enjoy it. Vortex makes some nice kits and springs. I also found it to be a rather heavy rifle so instead of a scope I went with a Williams peep.

I can also suggest checking out the GTA German airgun gate. It was a useful forum for me.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 5:18 pm 

Well now after having this new hw80 in.22 and shooting some pellets with it i must tell you it is a tack driver
shot all groups at indoor range as its nast cold here and a ton of snow.Most 5 shot groups will be a 1/4"
at 20 yds depending on my hold and it likes at least three differant pellets ranging from 14.36-18.89 grain
still shoots the crossman hollow point 14.36 grain almost through the same hole.Love this rifle and cant wait
to poll drive some crown at 50 yards with head shots.Glad i paid the extra money on a quality rifle.She is heavey
for sure.Waiting on a chrony now to test velocity of a few of my fav pills. :D

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 8:50 pm 

There is not much to dislike, on HW rifles. I have 3 now.