Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:12 pm 

I’m looking for a pump for my Discovery. Any recommendations? Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:45 pm 

There are some on here that like to spend money for hand air pumps. My self, I been using the cheap 40 dollar ones off of ebay. I can own about 4 of them compared to the higher priced ones. I 've been useing one for about three years. . if it gives out, I know where the bin is. I will definetly buy another one.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:03 am 

I also used an eBay hand pump for several months (it still works fine & use it once in a while) until I acquired a Yong Heng electric compressor, and added an SCBA tank.

Had no problems with my hand pump, other than the expected need to tighten some junctions as things worked in.

From videos, I don't see significant differences between the expensive and inexpensive pumps.

Webley Viscount .177
Crossman 1377 Classic Pump .177
Diana Stormrider2 .22
Kral Mega Marine Walnut .22
Artemis PP750 .22
FX Streamline .22 walnut
FX Streamline .22 composite

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:17 am 

This is what I have. https://www.ebay.ca/itm/164502220272?hash=item264d18adf0:g:8XcAAOSw9VZht-om Used it 25 times 125 strokes to fill 330 cc gun from 1400 psi to 3000 Psi rest after 80 pumps. I have only changed one Oring on the high pressure rod check valve. If I only had 177 pcp's I would have never purchased a compressor, but big caliber at high velocity takes a lot of air.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:15 am 

It's sad to say but the chineese are masters at taking a good product and reverves engineering it . Ending up , sometimes as good or better, sometimes not.In the case of the hand pump, I think they bettered it. Espeaically when they intrduced the water in it for cooling . It is effective.As in any pump hand or electric heat is your biggest enemy.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:17 am 

It's sad to say but the chineese are masters at taking a good product and reverves engineering it . Ending up , sometimes as good or better, sometimes not.In the case of the hand pump, I think they bettered it. Espeaically when they intrduced the water in it for cooling . It is effective.As in any pump hand or electric heat is your biggest enemy. They used wasted space with a stroke of genius thought.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:49 pm 

This is fantastic detail, thank you!

I might have missed something, but is there a water cooled hand pump? I know some of the chinese compressors are water cooled.

thanks

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:01 pm 

It is news to me too, and I'm an avid hand pumper.
Found this tidbit on Amazon, but it looks like its filled more with snake oil than water.
https://www.amazon.ca/Pressure-4500PSI- ... 093RGB3YM/
I do my pumping in my basement on a concrete floor that is pretty cold year round. And being a senior, I limit my pumping to 50-60 strokes at about 0.5 Hz, then 15 min pause to let the pump cool.
The only issue I had with the inexpensive e-bay/alli-express under $100 pumps is the base may be too soft and flexible. Easily solved by screwing it to some plywood or a thicker steel plate. Also, there is no inlet filter on some of these pumps, but if its a stainless steel body maybe you don't need to worry about internal pump corrosion. Just make sure you have a good air dryer on the outlet to save your gun/HPA tank from moisture.

))))----//----------==

Iacio ergo sum

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:26 pm 

When I opened mine, There was water in the chamber between the outside case and where the tiny long rod is. Just look on ebay for pump rebuilding and they show it. When it was first mentioned you would have sworn the world was going to end "Im not gonna put water in MY gun" , and such There was alot of babbling about it at first. Like always just leap and then look where to land. I know that it is at least three years old. They have had it quite a while.Also there might be some that don't , noway of knowing till you look for yourself. If you just take the top nut off you could see it with aflash light for sure ifit is there. Every body was worried about rust also. Most stainless steel doesn't rust, so there.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:39 pm 

My hand pump has one of the ubiquitous little blue filters on the outlet: foam pad, and "cigarette paper filter". Has anyone else weighed these filters, before and after use?

It can be surprising how much water is trapped in the filter media, IME. I use a tissue to pat the foam dry, then leave them to air dry until the next use. I do the same for my air compressors. I haven't measured the RH of the air from the hand pump, and omission, but plan to do so after a new regulator arrives for my 68/45 bottle. I expect RH to be similar to the air compressors when used w/o inlet desiccant filter.

Ambient 68.8% RH 20.9 C
57.9% RH 23.6C venting from whip hose by way of original little blue filter

I would prefer to have RH below 50%, which is the standard archives and storage of metal parts humidity level.

When the inlet desiccant filter is used on an air compressor, RH is ~ 10%.

I'm curious as to whether anyone else has measured RH or weighed filter media before and after in order to gauge water vapor or water extracted by filtration?

I'd also be interested to hear results from the hand pumps which use inlet desiccant filter.

Webley Viscount .177
Crossman 1377 Classic Pump .177
Diana Stormrider2 .22
Kral Mega Marine Walnut .22
Artemis PP750 .22
FX Streamline .22 walnut
FX Streamline .22 composite

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 3:54 pm 

When I want o shoot, I don;t care what the weathere is dong, or the humidity, I'm going to shoot.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 1:26 am 

Like the others have said buy a cheap $40-$50 pump off ebay or amazon. Then start saving for a compressor, I saved up for this one from Wes:
https://airgunarcheryfun.ca/jts-gx-e-cs3-compressor/

Got it Aug 2020, great compressor, still going strong.