Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:22 am 

Hi,

I'm interested in getting the Crossman Drifter kit or 1322 Shooter's Kit. Are the internals the same for both airguns? The reason I'm asking is that I'm thinking of eventually modding it in the future. I do have my PAL so I'm leaning on the Drifter kit at the moment.

Any input on either one would be appreciated,

Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:11 am 

Yes the internals are identical. If it was me buying, Id get the Drifter kit since it already has the 14" barrel and FO sights, plus the stock and forearm are a bit fancier. I don't know if/where you can get Drifter kit in Canada.
As an alternative to a kit of any kind, you can pick up a 1322 from PA for about $100 then add a steel breach and shoulder stock from your favorite dealer.
Be forewarned, by the time you're done outfitting an upgraded 23xx/22xx you could have bought a HW97K for the same $.

))))----//----------==

Iacio ergo sum

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:18 am 
Site Moderator

The Drifter Kit looks like a reintroduction of the Crosman 2289. I'm pretty sure it's considered a pistol so you are still limited to 500fps or it becomes restricted.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:20 pm 

Thanks for the info.

I think I will go with the drifters kit, it is sold in Canada from a dealer but I'll contact them first to see in what class this gun fall under since it shoot at 550fps.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:57 pm 
Site Moderator

AlCap wrote:
Thanks for the info.

I think I will go with the drifters kit, it is sold in Canada from a dealer but I'll contact them first to see in what class this gun fall under since it shoot at 550fps.

I just noticed that the Cdn dealer selling the Drifter Kit shows it as shooting up to 550fps. The pic shows the rifle with the pistol grips as part of the kit. Install the grips and you have a restricted firearm. I'm guessing that Crosman does the usual detune job for Canada with a bleed hole and it will be rated at 495fps.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:45 pm 

TCooper wrote:
AlCap wrote:
Thanks for the info.

I just noticed that the Cdn dealer selling the Drifter Kit shows it as shooting up to 550fps. The pic shows the rifle with the pistol grips as part of the kit. Install the grips and you have a restricted firearm. I'm guessing that Crosman does the usual detune job for Canada with a bleed hole and it will be rated at 495fps.

Can we get a link? I can still take a 2nd mortgage but then again maybe I'll just look and then pass on it.

))))----//----------==

Iacio ergo sum

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:52 pm 

Crosman Drifter Multi-Pump Pellet Rifle Kit .22 550FPS (CRS-AR-095)
Regular price$159.99

https://dlairgun.com/products/crosman-drifter-multi-pump-pellet-rifle-kit-22-550fps-crs-ar-095?_pos=26&_sid=18bb2ca25&_ss=r

FIREARMS LICENCE REQUIRED

Crosman Drifter Multi-Pump Pellet Rifle Kit

Multi-pump rifle
.22 caliber
Bolt action
Rifled barrel
Synthetic stock with carbon fiber hydro dip
Includes removable shoulder stock
Includes removable textured pistol grips
Max. velocity: 550 FPS
Fiber optic front sight
Peep/open adjustable rear sight
Includes roll-up case, rifle stock pouch, and 400 rounds of Crosman Piranha .22 pellets

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:39 pm 

That's really interesting. There seems to be something odd going on here that I don't understand.

Say you have a 1322. Given that the Drifter is basically the 1322 with a longer barrel and ?maybe? a small change to the porting or something like that, and its a proper unrestricted firearm, I wonder if there is a legal process to convert the 1322 to the Drifter. Presumably if you do that you'd have to report it to someone.

How do those laws work, when you change the classification of a firearm through modifications?

I've seen these discussions when it pertained to the switch between unrestricted and restricted, but not between "under 500fps" and "over 500fps".

That said, I don't think I understand how the Drifter meets the classification for an unrestricted firearm. Given that it comes with a pistol group, it would appear to be too short. i.e. wouldn't this basically be classified like any other (long barrel) revolver, as a restricted firearm?

I wonder if dlairgun.com maybe should hire a lawyer to sort this out. Perhaps they have. It would be odd if they sell it with the long stock to avoid the length issue, but ship it also with pistol grips that could potentially be legally unusable. This seems weird. Canadian firearms laws are such a mess.

All that to say, I am a little perplexed by this.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:44 pm 

so basically its a backpacker now called drifter lol.... :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:55 pm 

Ace wrote:
so basically its a backpacker now called drifter lol.... :roll:

Yes it seems to be the case. But as noted above Backpackers were non-PAL in Canada; 2289g I believe was the designation for sale here. I doubt D&L would be selling anything not legit. Raman's Tsunamis also have similar characteristics to the Drifter so not unique in that regard.

))))----//----------==

Iacio ergo sum

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:32 pm 

Something is not right. As it is, a P.A.L. is required due to the speed & FPE (.22).
As soon as the grip is changed to the pistol stock, it does become a restricted handgun.
Interesting quandary. I would not want to be found in possession of it with the pistol grips
on it anywhere other than an approved range and be in possession of it's registration papers as well.