Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:54 pm 

Second try…hi…I’m M&M….is it ok to lube pellet’s in pelgunoil?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:12 am 

welcome to CAF, how about a little better intro about yourself... :wink:
also here is an article for you to read on lubing pellets
https://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2008/02 ... e-pellets/

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:55 am 

This brings back memories 1966 Acadian, STP oil treatment https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/stp-oil-treatment-428-ml-0380267p.0380267.html?gclid=CjwKCAiA3L6PBhBvEiwAINlJ9O-wTtHj3-wPimINP_-lU_DPj3594loJs-zrWUnvkQTUJ6aGA_Dr9RoCYeAQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds#store=162 easy way to add a little Zinc to the barrel

keep it in the crosshairs
Robert

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:24 am 

Welcome M&M, sorry to hear (implied) your original Intro got lost in cyberspace.
Interesting post and links, if you take it at its word, then no benefit lubing pellets in anything other than > 700 fps bone dry airguns, mainly PCPs.

))))----//----------==

Iacio ergo sum

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:04 am 

I really never listen to anything Tom Gaylord says. He researches and writes what he finds. Never really been a shooter, just makes a living from anyone who will read his stuff.

I never understood why anyone would douse their pellets in any substance so that they are coated inside and out with whatever is being used.

When I shot PCP, I used Finish Line Kry Tech, more a wax than an oil. Basically Dupont Krytox suspended in a wax mixture used mostly by competitive bike riders on the chain, since it is dry, resists dirt and is very slippery. If using Crosman pellets back in the day when quality control was good, I washed them first and then dried them. I would spray the Kry Tech on a paper towel and roll the pellets on it. The wax was applied to the edge of the skirt and head of the pellet, the only parts that touch the barrel. This gave me slightly better accuracy and the barrel fouled less often and was very easy to clean. The wax dried, so the pellets were not oily to handle. The speed of the pellet down the barrel liquified the wax and the Krytox provided the slide.

I now use the JSB pellets in their many forms, like AA, Cometta, Falcon and so on. I tried lubed and un-lubed and found no difference, so I shoot them as they come from the tin. I weigh them into batches for competition and inspect the head and shirt just before I load them, discarding them if they are deformed. To JSBs credit, I very rarely discard a pellet.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:57 am 

Ace wrote:
welcome to CAF, how about a little better intro about yourself... :wink:
also here is an article for you to read on lubing pellets
https://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2008/02 ... e-pellets/

Welcome to the forum M&M.

I read the article from the link. I've been in muzzleloading since 1972 and I have never heard of anyone successfully using those or any petroleum products in a muzzleloading rifle or smoothbore.
Petroleum products do not mix with black powder fouling thus are useless in a ML. They can be used as a preservative, but should be wiped out of the bore before loading the
first shot of the day. Just saying.
Mac is most likely correct about Gaylord. What he is saying in regards to the ML's is a repeat of what someone else who knows nothing has stated. There are lots of those around,
but thankfully, due to the internet & black powder forums like www.americanlongrifles.org, there are fewer today than 20 years ago.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:04 pm 

Mac wrote:
I now use the JSB pellets in their many forms, like AA, Cometta, Falcon and so on. I tried lubed and un-lubed and found no difference, so I shoot them as they come from the tin. I weigh them into batches for competition and inspect the head and shirt just before I load them, discarding them if they are deformed. To JSBs credit, I very rarely discard a pellet.

I've never used oil or lube as well, I added that link just in case the OP
was interested in some reading material, I'm the same as you Tim straight out of the tin... :wink: 8)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:34 pm 

Washing-drying-lubing JSB MK2's with lemon pledge and washing-lubing-waxing the barrels with organic carnauba wax (for black cars, if that matters) ;)