Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:00 am 

Hi everybody!
Think this can help other people who like springer bullpups but they only find the terrible QB57 ( I had one, tuned from original 7ft-lbs to 9ft-lbs, but this tune-up almost destroy it :lol: I had to weld the end of the compression cylinder. Besides, under a layer of varnish, wood is full of putty).
Tha base was a common Norica Dragon, with the terrible 515 trigger, smoother bay sanding. I use cherry tree wood and hand tools to carve it. The trigger now is pushed by a threaded rod. The trigger is made by hand with a block of aluminium. This "false" trigger turns into a wood screw, so you can take off the screw and the other usual 3 screws of the action and you can take off teh complete action, the rod and the "false" trigger. Stock has an oil finish only.
The design has two fails:
1.- In order to use open sights, I had to made wider stock, to up the action over the shoulder. So stock is heavy.
2.- Due to this alignment, when you shoot, muzzle try to turn up because the unaligned forces of recoil and shoulder support.
Attachment:
File comment: Norica self-made bullpup
ResizerImage1552X873.jpg
ResizerImage1552X873.jpg [ 134.01 KiB | Viewed 819 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: detail: grip.
ResizerImage1552X873_2.jpg
ResizerImage1552X873_2.jpg [ 141.54 KiB | Viewed 819 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: You can see the screw that holds the fake trigger.
ResizerImage1552X873_3.jpg
ResizerImage1552X873_3.jpg [ 174.69 KiB | Viewed 819 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:06 pm 

Interesting indeed. Since where the pellet goes in, still ahead of the trigger, the "action" is ahead of the trigger, thus would still be legal in Canada.
The law is so fuzzy, though, it's difficult to understand. Some are legal, some are not.
Interesting concept and rifle - tks for posting.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:02 pm 

kijoseki - if I might make an observation and suggestion, the stippling looks great, however the border is not so good.
A V chisel or checkering tool borer liner would have made a much neater border. Otherwise, faultless.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:38 am 

Daryl wrote:
kijoseki - if I might make an observation and suggestion, the stippling looks great, however the border is not so good.
A V chisel or checkering tool borer liner would have made a much neater border. Otherwise, faultless.

Thanks for your suggestion. You mean the center line graved , don`t you? I made it with a machine, but was my first time to use it and I did not a good job....

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:50 pm 

I just priced checkering tools. No, not a graver, but a narrow small V 'gouge'.
Like this one.
Due to the angle of the V's bevel, they are much easier to control than a graver.
An outline V is cut, then the interior is stippled up to that line.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/323821155402?h ... SwgkZc79Rh

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:59 pm 

I hate to be a party pooper, but wouldn't that stock be a prohibited item?

https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/reg ... lText.html
Quote:
2 Any rifle, shotgun or carbine stock of the type known as the “bull-pup” design, being a stock that, when combined with a firearm, reduces the overall length of the firearm such that a substantial part of the reloading action or the magazine-well is located behind the trigger of the firearm when it is held in the normal firing position.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:09 am 

Don`t know about Canadian laws....in your post, says "firearms"...this is an airgun...And if airguns are considered as well, this one is semi-bullpup: the chamber is not behind the trigger: when you cock, the breech is still in front the trigger. :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:28 am 

Well, considering how in some situation the crown prosecutor considered a Nerf-gun a "firearm" and how the text of the law talks about stock that "reduce the overall length"... I 1) certainly wouldn't risk it, and 2) even more so on a public forum

Heck, they had firearms banned and confiscated because they were deemed a "variant", even though there are no legal nor technical definition of what constitute a "variant"
:partyman:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:27 am 

Quote:
..people who like springer bullpups but they only find the terrible QB57..
sooo.... what IS the legal status of the QB-57 then?

Tracey Wilson, CCFR

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:12 pm 

Nice work

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:28 pm 

Stupid but true... Bullpup rifles are legal in Canada but bullpup stocks to make a non bullpup rifle into a bullpup are illegal.