Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2022 3:49 pm 

I'd posted this before, but this is mine. The steel plate is 1/4" mild steel - no damage even with 45fpe .25 cal rifles.
3/8" plywood, with 1x2 panels to hold the steel plate, There is a narrow 1/4" x 3" steel place under the angled one, to prevent wood damage along the bottom, where the
pellets deflect down.
I staple a sheet of cardboard over the whole entrance, then use the clips for holding targets.

Attachments:
IMG_2654.JPG
IMG_2654.JPG [ 563.84 KiB | Viewed 795 times ]
IMG_2653.JPG
IMG_2653.JPG [ 694.29 KiB | Viewed 795 times ]
IMG_2652.JPG
IMG_2652.JPG [ 646.7 KiB | Viewed 795 times ]

Last edited by Daryl on Sat Feb 12, 2022 3:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2022 3:50 pm 

last one.
I estimate it took about 1/2 hour to make.

Attachments:
IMG_2656.JPG
IMG_2656.JPG [ 547.59 KiB | Viewed 795 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2022 4:03 pm 

Daryl wrote:
I'd posted this before, but this is mine. The steel plate is 1/4" mild steel - no damage even with 45fpe .25 cal rifles.
3/8" plywood, with 1x2 panels to hold the steel plate, There is a narrow 1/4" x 3" steel place under the angled one, to prevent wood damage along the bottom, where the
pellets deflect down.
I staple a sheet of cardboard over the whole entrance, then use the clips for holding targets.

I wanted to use this type of setup with my big shooting box for knockdown targets until I priced out that 1/4" steel. That changed my mind in a hurry and decided to just not miss instead. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2022 4:13 pm 

I had the rectangle of steel from somewhere, thus no monetary loss.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2022 4:22 pm 

Daryl wrote:

I would think that would be loud ? Just the metal stopping the round ?

Ruger Blackhawk .177
AA CZ200T .177

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2022 5:24 pm 

camps23 wrote:
Daryl wrote:

Yep~ I have the same concern ~

It definitely long lasting than duct seal which could be shot through if you hit the same hole a couple times... But thinking it could be just too loud if your gun is some high power ones....

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2022 7:30 pm 

My first one was a cardboard box filled with a few inches of cardboard sheets at the front, then a few old magazines and catalogs, then a few layers of old clothes, then more cardboard.
It was/is 16 inches wide x 23 tall x 16 deep.
I have it sitting on a scavenged/modified old cupboard.
I shoot mostly from 9 yards and 6 yards.
I scavenged the metal skin from a large old microwave and used that as the ultimate backstop. It was very quiet and prevents bounce back since the first few layers of corrugated cardboard suck up a lot of energy. I add to or replace the front cardboard frequently and tape or clip my target papers on the front.
It is susceptible to wear if hitting the same spot since pellets do a pretty good job of chewing their way through things. I actually blew through it once by accidentally dieseling a rifle after a rebuild.
My newer version is again a cardboard box
15 inches wide x 19 tall x 13 deep. This one is again fronted by a few layers of corrugated cardboard, then 2 bags of rubber mulch from home depot (I think that is shredded tires?)
I add new layers of cardboard to the front as it gets chewed up then strip off some and trash them periodically.
These boxes are big enough to position the targets in different spots to spread the wear.
The advantage of the mulch is that if you drill the same spot over and over, it should resettle itself. I have jiggled it a few times to redistribute the mulch just to make sure.
It is quite heavy but I am confident that it will stop anything that I am sending at it (.177 up to 860 fps). It is quiet. You sometimes can hear a pellet rattling down through the voids in the mulch against the front cardboard.
Yes, I have missed this whole backstop once when I put a laser on a pistol and didn't follow my usual practice of starting at a range of only a few yards when first testing a new gun.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2022 8:13 pm 

camps23 wrote:
Daryl wrote:

Not loud at all. the plate is held quite hard in between the wooden boards, so it cannot vibrate to make noise.
The noise of the gun is all that is heard.
Too - if you lay the duct seal on the backside, would deaden what sound there might be, every further.
There is a bit of the thwack of the pellet strike, that's it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 5:43 pm 

2240 you own is going to be louder than any pellet even hitting a Champion 22 bullet trap. Very little comes out of the bullet trap if you put cardboard on front of it with a target glued to cardboard. I boom PCP's upstairs and my wife don't care because she knows where I am. Spend 80 percent of my time when home in my shooting range. :) Fireplace, portable AC, music, big screen tv Laptop. Life is good! :) CHEERS!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 5:57 pm 

wheeliehd wrote:
2240 you own is going to be louder than any pellet even hitting a Champion 22 bullet trap.

If you want quiet, keep in mind ^^^^^^^^.
For basement shooting a non-PAL NP pistol or rifle is as quiet as you'll get, and then into paper backed by duct seal. I was quite impressed by how quiet my Shockwave rifle is, i was wondering of it was even making 300 fps, so I was happy to see 460 on the Chrony. Anyhow, Quiet! gun sounds about as loud as the trap. My wife says my 2240 makes a lot of noise, she doesn't hear the pellet hitting the duct seal trap, but she does hear the gun. Today I was shooting my Shockwave NP in the basement. She asked me what I was doing all afternoon, I told her shooting in the basement, she said Oh, I didn't hear it! :drinkers:

))))----//----------==

Iacio, ergo sum

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 6:07 pm 

I keep it very simple and use a box stuffed full of rags. I do fold the rags the size of the front of the box (usually about 8x10"). I keep laying them in until it is stuffed tight, front to back and there is no space in the box. No idea how many layers of cloth are in there. I have never had a pellet go through and have not missed the target. Knock on wood. I tape targets front and back and shoot until the box looses its integrity.

I then take all the rags out over a drop sheet and shake all the pellets out of them. Recycle the used pellets. If the rags are not chewed up badly, I just reuse them in a new box. Cheap, very effective and quiet. I use these indoors at 10 yards all the way out to 55 yards outdoors.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:55 am 

All depend's on the power of your gun...
For a 495 fps, you just need one Saturday/Sunday release of Newspaper. Put it into a durable plastic bag, and then put a few hard cardboard--half letter size advertising sheets are very useful and you are not wasting them also inside the plastic bags. The bag will prevent papers all over the places. Then just stick paper targets on the bag and you are good to go. If you worried about it get penetrated, get a 2 x 2 or 3 x 3 ply wood behind it--in this case it should still ok with a 880 fps rifle if you put few more layer of the cardboard, or add some Amazon shipping box inside the bag as well --cut them if too big and it is very easy to make.

The great thing about this is you can always pick all lead pellets out--it usually stuck somewhere on the newspaper or cardboard and very easy to take out.
And after 20-50 shots--place the replacement target in different positions to avoid keep penetrate same spot-- remove all pellets and then you can put the whole thing to blue recycle bin. No Waste at all!

Finally get my PAL after 1 year waiting

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:56 am 

you can also fill any pellet trap with a oil based modelling clay (amazon sells is in 5 pound bricks). Makes for a very quiet trap, for <500ft/s that is.