Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:28 pm 

I just know that many of you Kral, Weihrauch, Daystate, Air Arms owners have been waiting for a review of this little guy :)

I target shoot indoors up to 29 feet and no access to outdoor plinking so focus on accurate target work with sub 500 FPS airguns. I do like bb guns as a change of pace from pellet shooters. I have been using the Daisy Grizzly 840 for short range bb targets and find this to be very acceptable after having other models over the years.

I just got the Champion from the Gun Dealer in NB. $99.00 ( total with tax/shipping to Toronto $170.) My 80 year old, glasses wearing eyes were dreading the peep sight shooting with this gun plus the fact that the many reviews leaned toward the expensive Daisy Precision Ground ( formerly Avanti) bbs as the best to use which cost me $46 including tax/shipping from CSS for 2 containers of 1050 each.

I use a small laser on all my airguns , just fine for indoor/controlled lighting and wondered how to mount this on a non-scopable Champion- I was happy to see that a short 11mm. rail was visible where the peep sight assembly would be installed. Not a robust rail but suitable for the small laser claws to clamp onto.This rifle is well made and easy to use.

I have gone through many Daisy Precision bbs. Hornady and Umarex as well at 16-22-24 feet.I can tell you that all were excellent at the 16/22 feet range. Happy to find the Hornady and Umarex performed well as I have a lot on hand. My 5 shot groups at 16 feet ( the universal competition distance) were very small with all 3 brands and no flyers

Some reviews have wondered how a 240 FPS bb rifle can do that well. I suspect that the 11 1/2 inch inner barrel was designed to produce good results especially for competion shooting . The popular opinion that BB guns ( rifle in this case) are not accurate beyond a short distance is generally true but if you or new shooters want to be impressed by short range great performance- the Daisy 499B will please you! It will be very good at longer plinking distances.
Having said all this, I will update this review later if performance drops.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 7:52 am 

Shipping was pretty high for one was high but makes up for the price of the daisy. I always wanted one of these. Keep us posted.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 8:20 am 

It was packed in a full size rifle box .longer boxes always cost more with CP
I suspect that this dealer may have the only inventory of 499 left in Canada and would not be surprised if it will be discontinued .
From what I conclude after extensive testing...a bargain at $99!