Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Duct Seal - how to clean
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 10:23 am 

I made a solid target-backstop box for close up chronograph tuning/testing only, otherwise I don't shoot around a house - gun range only.
I have about 2" of duct seal layers in front of a 1/4" tempered steel plate. the duct seal is getting full with lead, chunks started separating doesn't want to hold the dust much longer.
What is a best method to extract a lead?
I don't really need a lead I don't cast my own pellets/slugs, but if possible I would like to keep using the duct seal. Or eventually replace the layers with something more friendly? Rubber mulch? I don't like the idea and how can I keep that rubber dust inside a box...

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 10:30 am 

I would replace it. Otherwise manual separation by hand is likely the way to go...

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 10:45 am 
Site Moderator

I've been using the same homemade duct seal pellet trap for 22 years. I never replace the putty but periodically add half a bar. Whenever the trap starts to get full I use a small screwdriver and pry out the pellets. This sounds like a huge messy job but it's not bad at all. I put the trap on my lap and pop out the pellets. Most of the time a bunch will come out at the same time. Once done I smooth out the putty surface and add a few small chunks to fill in larger holes where I had to dig deep.

Most of the duct seal in my trap is 22 years old and it hasn't hardened up. It's not as moist as when new but still works fine. I have about 2" thickness and it works great for my needs. I've shot .177 from 400-900fps and .22 up to 700fps. As for shooting volume, I'm guessing I have filled about 6 or 8 large coffee cans with pellets. Each filled can weighs about 20-23 pounds. I give them away to bullet or sinker casters.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 11:28 am 
Site Moderator

Here are a couple of pics of my old pellet trap. It measures approx 11" x 11". The trap has probably seen 100,000 shots. Yup, a few hit the wood when sighting in a rifle or shoot an airgun that was low on CO2. I even hit the wall a few times over the last 22 years but a blob of Polyfiller fixes the hole. Next time I paint the hobby room you won't even know about the holes. It's a very minor cost to having fun for over 20 years.

The trap was designed with a reservoir at the bottom. The bottom/front wood extends up to the bottom of the putty to create the hollow area at the bottom. The cardboard bits and paper target punches usually fall into this cavity, along with pellets that hit trapped pellets and fall down. Periodically I'll scoup out the paper from the bottom. When I'm cleaning out the lead I'll pry out the pellets and let them drop into the reservoir. Then dump them when it gets full.

Attachments:
Pellet Trap 001b.jpg
Pellet Trap 001b.jpg [ 318.6 KiB | Viewed 471 times ]
Pellet Trap 002b.jpg
Pellet Trap 002b.jpg [ 213.24 KiB | Viewed 471 times ]

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 12:06 pm 

I am just doing tuning/testing with chronograph maybe 2-3 times a year, when the gun is ready I shoot at my gunclub only 50-100 meters benchrest, 13 minutes drive door to door.
I built this box probably 3-4 years ago, its got heavy lately to dig it out from the circus in the garage...must be my age ;)
Any bullet or sinker casters close to L4G7X4 can come any time to pickup the lead.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 1:02 pm 
Site Moderator

bigHUN wrote:
I am just doing tuning/testing with chronograph maybe 2-3 times a year, when the gun is ready I shoot at my gunclub only 50-100 meters benchrest, 13 minutes drive door to door.
I built this box probably 3-4 years ago, its got heavy lately to dig it out from the circus in the garage...must be my age ;)
Any bullet or sinker casters close to L4G7X4 can come any time to pickup the lead.

I sometimes get the urge to shoot at strange times so I just go down the basement and fire away from 10 metres. Sometimes this might be at 10 o'clock at night. During the summer I often drive 15-20 minutes to the country where I can shoot as far as desired. We had a nice 20 yard indoor range that was only a 10 minute drive but it closed a couple of months ago after being open for 25 years. The local Fish & Game Club has ranges from 10-200 yards and it's only a 20 minute drive but I like the quiet country.