Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 10:46 am 
Site Moderator

Maybe I'm fortunate living in a small city. In over 40 years only once has a police officer touched my firearm. I was driving home from smallgame hunting and my pump 20ga shotgun was uncased (unloaded) and lying against the front seat beside me. I got stopped by an OPP just before city limits. He saw my gun and asked me to hand it out the window. I complied and he checked to be sure it wasn't loaded and then handed it back. He could see I was dressed for hunting and I was doing nothing wrong so waved me through.

I have been plinking with airguns in the same rural area for 22 years and haven't seen one police officer. It rarely happens but whenever someone mistakenly drives into the area I show them my airguns and mention that I just enjoy the quietness and plinking cans like a kid. We usually chat for a bit and they drive out. Never a word of disagreement. If they were curious enough to get out of their vehicle I would let them take a few shots. It's best to show the citizens that you are not a threat to anyone's safety because they are the ones who could make the call to the police.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:58 am 

Towns, small cities and rural areas are different, but that situation of normal leniency is changing, with more and more "city folk" moving to rural
areas, the incidence of phone calls to the police is likely to increase.
A policeman who may feel compelled to confiscate a non-firearm or firearm if he BELIEVES you or it is a danger, etc, etc. That does not mean you
will lose it, as if there was not sufficient "cause" it will likely be returned. If that item is now on the prohib. list, that just might not happen.
Case law under the new proposed regs. - none yet & likely not to pass unless re-introduced at the resumption of the fall sittings, unless, of course
they try another O.I.C. declaration as a test.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:50 pm 

From the updated RCMP website:

Air guns that are replica firearms.
These are air guns not powerful enough to cause serious injury or death, but designed to resemble a real firearm with near precision. Replica firearms, except for replicas of antique firearms, are classified as prohibited devices.

In particular, some air guns commonly known as air soft guns may fall into this category. These are devices that have a low muzzle velocity and muzzle energy, and that usually discharge projectiles made out of a substance such as plastic or wax rather than metal.

An airsoft gun, firing a .20g 6mm plastic pellet with a muzzle velocity below 111.6 m/s (366 fps), and resembling with near precision an existing make and model of a firearm, other than an antique firearm, is a replica firearm and therefore a prohibited device

Although replica firearms are prohibited, individuals may keep those they owned on December 1, 1998.
You don't need a licence to possess them, and they do not need to be registered. However, you cannot import or acquire a replica firearm. If you take a replica firearm out of Canada, it will not be allowed back in.

https://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/en/firearms/ ... s-firearms

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:17 am 

Ludger wrote:
Telling me the police can confiscate my collection at any time is a contradiction of the law about to be passed.
With all due respect you sound angry and paranoid and quite frankly your entire reply is curt and rude. I no longer want to be part of this forum.

Last post!

Dumbass!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 11:25 am 

Ludger wrote:
Telling me the police can confiscate my collection at any time is a contradiction of the law about to be passed.
With all due respect you sound angry and paranoid and quite frankly your entire reply is curt and rude. I no longer want to be part of this forum.

Last post!

Wow, I didn't see this response coming. It's to bad that you decided to leave this forum because somebody didn't respond in the fashion you expected. The repliers statement that the police can seize anytime has some truth to it. I believe these new powers can be misused by police or anyone who wants to make your life difficult. All they have to do is claim that you are a danger to yourself or others. Not hard to do really. Even if you fight it in court, your collection will be seized until the matter is ruled on in court. How many days, weeks, or months do you think that will take.

Sorry to see you go.

Sebas

Daisy Red Ryder .177
Crosman Pumpmaster 760 .177
Sig Sauer P228 .177

Always looking expand the collection....
VA3DEC

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 11:37 am 

"Combatting gun smuggling, trafficking
The new Bill C-21 is also aimed at deterring gun smuggling and trafficking, which data suggests is behind a majority of gun-related crime in Canada."

How can you govern a country when you can't even ascertain that smuggling guns and trafficking guns ARE the cause of the majority of gun crime. This is an attack on the good citizens of Canada by the Government they voted in.

Sebas

Daisy Red Ryder .177
Crosman Pumpmaster 760 .177
Sig Sauer P228 .177

Always looking expand the collection....
VA3DEC

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 3:41 pm 

SeBaS wrote:
"Combatting gun smuggling, trafficking
The new Bill C-21 is also aimed at deterring gun smuggling and trafficking, which data suggests is behind a majority of gun-related crime in Canada."

How can you govern a country when you can't even ascertain that smuggling guns and trafficking guns ARE the cause of the majority of gun crime. This is an attack on the good citizens of Canada by the Government they voted in.

Sebas

Aimed at deterring smuggling my a$$. It is purposely aimed at eliminating firearms from lawful owners. While pushing C-21, they are also REDUCING penalties for smuggling, and unlawful use of firearms. Dear Leader says gun crime laws unfairly target certain minorities.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 3:48 pm 

The criminal code allows for police to seize prohibited weapons and devices unless the possessor has a valid permit for such weapons/devices. This is where the lawyers are saying the cops can take prohibited airguns as you do not have a permit to possess prohibited weapons. In order to get prohibited weapons or devices back, when seized, you must provide the court with a copy of your permit to possess prohibited devices/weapons. As you do not have one, and can not obtain a permit to possess a prohibited airgun, as no such permit exists, you would loose the airguns.
The proposed changes do not include an update to the portion of the criminal code to amend it to exclude prohibited replicas from the seizure statutes.
A sensible judge may rule its all a bunch of crap, but don't count on that.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 6:19 pm 

paddyfritz wrote:
The criminal code allows for police to seize prohibited weapons and devices unless the possessor has a valid permit for such weapons/devices. This is where the lawyers are saying the cops can take prohibited airguns as you do not have a permit to possess prohibited weapons. In order to get prohibited weapons or devices back, when seized, you must provide the court with a copy of your permit to possess prohibited devices/weapons. As you do not have one, and can not obtain a permit to possess a prohibited airgun, as no such permit exists, you would loose the airguns.
The proposed changes do not include an update to the portion of the criminal code to amend it to exclude prohibited replicas from the seizure statutes.
A sensible judge may rule its all a bunch of crap, but don't count on that.
Yeah! That's so true~ You got your RPAL ( usually we normal ppl can only get this unless you join the special forces and have other different special premits or licence...), so, that for your powder burner pistols, nothing related to any ' prohibited ' airguns... And above tell the truth, there is NOT such a permit for the airguns... It's only depends on the mood of the officer to ' seize ' or not your 'toys'... So sad...

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 6:37 pm 
Supporting Members

Ludger wrote:

Last post!

Thats a rather childish way to act........

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 2:37 pm 

I'm still trying to wrap my my around this new bill. Do you guys feel we'll be allowed to use <500fps BB/pellet guns modeled after the powder burners and only sale/resale will be prohibited? Or it is a full blown ban and we cannot even plink with them anymore?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 3:15 pm 

mkca wrote:
I'm still trying to wrap my my around this new bill. Do you guys feel we'll be allowed to use <500fps BB/pellet guns modeled after the powder burners and only sale/resale will be prohibited? Or it is a full blown ban and we cannot even plink with them anymore?

As I have stated previously, having them outside would run the risk of loosing them. Any encounter with a cop, could lead to confiscation. Don't forget almost all sub 500 guns are based on a firearm if you follow the definitions in the proposed law.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 3:25 pm 

paddyfritz wrote:
As I have stated previously, having them outside would run the risk of loosing them. Any encounter with a cop, could lead to confiscation. Don't forget almost all sub 500 guns are based on a firearm if you follow the definitions in the proposed law.

It is amazingly stupid, I wonder if they'll at least allow to shoot at the air gun ranges? Surely this has to be OK, nobody can (OMG!) get scared by somebody shooting BBs at a paper target indoors...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 3:34 pm 

mkca wrote:
paddyfritz wrote:

It is amazingly stupid, I wonder if they'll at least allow to shoot at the air gun ranges? Surely this has to be OK, nobody can (OMG!) get scared by somebody shooting BBs at a paper target indoors...

In John Tory's Toronto?. I would not want to be the test case. The lawyer bill will not be cheap.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 4:30 pm 

paddyfritz wrote:
In John Tory's Toronto?. I would not want to be the test case. The lawyer bill will not be cheap.

Did you see the replies from the Minister for Public Safety and the Attorney General here? https://petitions.ourcommons.ca/en/Peti ... ion=e-3201

Looks like maybe we'll be able to use existing air gun replicas but won't be able to buy new/sell/transfer. It is still terrible but if it is true, it is a least something. Should we stock pile while we still can?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next