Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2022 5:07 am 

Here’s the Global news article that mention it at the end of it:
https://globalnews.ca/news/8880659/cana ... explainer/

:cry:

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2022 9:29 am 

[The amendment will target airguns that fire a projectile between 366 and 500 feet per second and look like modern firearms are considered replicas that are prohibited. The current law only prohibits replica airguns that fire a projectile below 366 feet per second.

Current owners will be allowed to keep and use airguns they already own, but will not be allowed to transfer them to another individual.]

[The proposed law will also allow manufacturers and retailers to keep selling these airguns, but only if their designs are altered so they don’t look like real firearms.

The government says airguns and other “firearm-like” weapons were used in nearly a quarter of all gun-related crime in 2020, tying them with rifles and shotguns.]

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2022 1:45 pm 

they definitely won’t like my KWC uzi

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2022 1:52 pm 
Site Moderator

Buy them now or only look at pictures later.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2022 3:10 pm 

There's a reason why I've been buying up every nice replica I see the past 2 yrs no questions asked...knew this was coming.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2022 7:41 pm 

Thanks I made the impulse buying of my DE recently... Pretty sure this would be on the list and also other airsoft replicas... ImageImage

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 5:55 pm 

Pretty sure I'm not alone or original when asking..."how the hell is this going to stop crime committed with illegal guns?"
Does any sane person think that thugs go to Canadian Tire, buy a black BB gun and go for the daily carjack???

This is driving prices up already...but that's all it does.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:48 pm 

Almost all non-pal airguns will be made prohibited by this law. If a full power version is available, the detuned version will be a "replica".

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:21 pm 

before airguns i bought a few denix-- non firing-- replica western guns. they looked great on my western wall. i just checked a couple of there canadian websites. they say no more are being imported into canada. after they sell off the inventory thats in stock now. that will be it. game over for them. how many poor online stores and people are going to be out of business and work. ---lots--.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:24 am 

pete wrote:
before airguns i bought a few denix-- non firing-- replica western guns. they looked great on my western wall. i just checked a couple of there canadian websites. they say no more are being imported into canada. after they sell off the inventory thats in stock now. that will be it. game over for them. how many poor online stores and people are going to be out of business and work. ---lots--.

I think they are jumping the gun with that one. I don't see anything in the proposed changes that would affect them. Antique replicas will still be exempt, and they are the only replicas they are currently permitted to sell.

1 (1) The definition replica firearm in subsection 84(1) of the Criminal Code is replaced by the following:

replica firearm means any device that is designed or intended to exactly resemble, or to resemble with near precision, a firearm Insertion start that is designed or adapted to discharge a shot, bullet or other projectile at a muzzle velocity exceeding 152.‍4 m per second and at a muzzle energy exceeding 5.‍7 Joules Insertion end , and that itself is not a firearm, but does not include any such device that is designed or intended to exactly resemble, or to resemble with near precision, an antique firearm; (réplique)

(2) Section 84 of the Act is amended by adding the following after subsection (3.‍1):
Certain firearms deemed to be prohibited devices
Start of inserted block

(3.‍2) For the purposes of sections 99 to 101, 103 to 107 and 117.‍03, a firearm is deemed to be a prohibited device if

(a) it is proved that the firearm is not designed or adapted to discharge a shot, bullet or other projectile at a muzzle velocity exceeding 152.‍4 m per second or at a muzzle energy exceeding 5.‍7 Joules; and

(b) the firearm is designed or intended to exactly resemble, or to resemble with near precision, a firearm, other than an antique firearm, that is designed or adapted to discharge a shot, bullet or other projectile at a muzzle velocity exceeding 152.‍4 m per second and at a muzzle energy exceeding 5.‍7 Joules

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:56 pm 

paddyfritz wrote:
Almost all non-pal airguns will be made prohibited by this law. If a full power version is available, the detuned version will be a "replica".

Exactly - that is how it is written up. What THEY actually enforce may be something different. Once a law is passed, an order in council can change it somewhat to include or exclude
as they desire.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:50 pm 

Attachment:
Screenshot 2022-06-23 at 19-48-23 CCFR_CCDAF (@CCFR_CCDAF) _ Twitter.png
Screenshot 2022-06-23 at 19-48-23 CCFR_CCDAF (@CCFR_CCDAF) _ Twitter.png [ 20.04 KiB | Viewed 1952 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:40 pm 

Hello Members.

Thought I would chime in since I just came across this. Ok, so as far as I understand I can keep what I've already got as long as I follow the rules as far as storing them is concerned and so on. But as a collector this really cramps my style. Might have to do some power shopping at Cabelas tomorrow, albeit they only have 2 more pistols I'm interested in.

What begs the question is what constitudes a replica or 'look alike. A wheel gun or a squarish lookin auto? Take the Chiappa Rhino for example, an odd looking pistol to say the least, one I've only became familiar with in the past year. Had someone pointed one of those at me before that, (real or replica air version), I would have laughed and asked him if he thought that up himself and printed it off on a 3D printer.

The only good thing for me is, lately my interest has shifted to Break Barrel Springers, taking me back to my youth which got my interest started in air guns.

One more thing, does anyone know if the buy back progam also includes replica airguns?

Thanks for listening, I enjoy being able to share my thoughts with you destinguished members (:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:46 pm 

Ludger wrote:
Hello Members.

Thought I would chime in since I just came across this. Ok, so as far as I understand I can keep what I've already got as long as I follow the rules as far as storing them is concerned and so on. But as a collector this really cramps my style. Might have to do some power shopping at Cabelas tomorrow, albeit they only have 2 more pistols I'm interested in. Police will be able to seize them anytime they want.

What begs the question is what constitudes a replica or 'look alike. A wheel gun or a squarish lookin auto? Take the Chiappa Rhino for example, an odd looking pistol to say the least, one I've only became familiar with in the past year. Had someone pointed one of those at me before that, (real or replica air version), I would have laughed and asked him if he thought that up himself and printed it off on a 3D printer. Almost all non-pal airguns will be replicas under this law.

The only good thing for me is, lately my interest has shifted to Break Barrel Springers, taking me back to my youth which got my interest started in air guns. Most will be prohibited.

One more thing, does anyone know if the buy back progam also includes replica airguns? No.

Thanks for listening, I enjoy being able to share my thoughts with you destinguished members (:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:35 pm 

Telling me the police can confiscate my collection at any time is a contradiction of the law about to be passed.
With all due respect you sound angry and paranoid and quite frankly your entire reply is curt and rude. I no longer want to be part of this forum.

Last post!