Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 3:52 pm 

I was into my bandit today to see how I could get another 50 fps out of it and maybe get a lille bell to the speed vs shots curve. I had read about the ristricted valve port but I was really surprised to see the valve port was bored to about 0.05 " diameter, whereas the transfer port bushing was "full power" at 0.14" diameter. So, to get any gain in speed, I'd have to enlarge the port on the valve. Therein lies the difficulty. how do I remove the valve from the main tube? I see the tube is crimped so it can't move backwards, it must go forwards, but what is holding it in the tube? I tapped it gently from the back to the muzzle direction but it didn't budge. I didn't see any way to unscrew valve body halves so I'm kinda stumped.
Thanks if you can offer some help.

))))----//----------==

Iacio ergo sum

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 5:24 pm 

I've had mine out, it comes out the front of the pressure tube. The upper, transfer port, and two bottom screws all need to be removed to allow it to move. I then pushed it out from the hammer side (with hammer removed).

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 6:07 pm 

Headdamage wrote:
I've had mine out, it comes out the front of the pressure tube. The upper, transfer port, and two bottom screws all need to be removed to allow it to move. I then pushed it out from the hammer side (with hammer removed).

Yep, that's what I thought - but better to check because I'm going to have to beat on it harder to get it to move. I've shimmed the hammer spring, I'll see what that does b4 going ahead and beating on the valve. :drinkers:

))))----//----------==

Iacio ergo sum

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 7:53 pm 

Good luck with that, Duke.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:01 am 

Daryl wrote:
Good luck with that, Duke.

Doh... 422, 420, 418.... first 3 shots with 1/2" preload on the hammer spring. So, I lost 10 fps rather than any gain. Back to the workbench, with a heavy hammer... so to speak.
Perkerrrk! That's me chichening out... can't bring myself to beating on a valve. However, I tried putting a heavy spring guide (I used a 1/4" socket head capscrew weighing 12g) into the hammer end, effectively increasing the weight of the hammer and that did wonderful things: The initial speed with CPHP is now up to 465-470 fps and it drops more slowly and even goes up and down between shots a few fps, no bell but better performance. I'm getting 40 good shots between 200-150 bar with speed between 470 and 420 fps. My plan is to zero the scope at 175 bar and leave it be at this setting. JSB Exact RS still shoot better than the CPHP capable of single holes at 10 yards. :drinkers:

))))----//----------==

Iacio ergo sum

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:25 pm 

Sounds pretty good result, but - it that a .177 or .22?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:26 pm 

Shooting into a single hole is nice, while shooting
into the first hole & perhaps barely enlarging it, is somewhat better?

ps - just stroking ya - good stuff.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:50 am 

Daryl wrote:
Shooting into a single hole is nice, while shooting
into the first hole & perhaps barely enlarging it, is somewhat better?

ps - just stroking ya - good stuff.

LOL, yes I'm stoked! This bandit is a .22 cal, it loads the JSBs very smoothly no bumps or grinds felt on the bolt when loading them into the breach. The CPHP hang a bit and require a bit of extra push to get them into the breach and close the bolt, and maybe has something to do with them not shooting as good as the JSB. I shot both the RS and the regular exacts (15.89 gr) and both grouped very well.
Anyhow, this one is done for now, on to the next one which is my Artemis M11.

))))----//----------==

Iacio ergo sum