Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Mon Nov 28, 2022 7:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours


The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

 

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.






Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 7:12 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:25 am
Posts: 50
Location: New Brunswick
Hi,

I’m thinking of getting the Ruger Precision Rimfire for my first powder burner for target shooting and wondering what would be the best caliber for this at over 100 yard?
Any advantage/disadvantage for each caliber?

Thanks,
Al


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:13 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:04 am
Posts: 1485
Generally and very briefly

22lr for most versatility.
22 WMR for more punch.
17HMR if you want no challenge stacking shots and blow small game to pieces.

22LR is the cheapest and most avaliable of those choices. My buddy has a RPR in 22lr, loves it.

_________________
I have some airguns.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:54 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2005 6:52 pm
Posts: 8394
Location: Vancouver Island BC
I have them all and 17hmr would be my pick it dose every thing the other two will do just better but rounds cost more but i don't care .
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Marlin-XT17.jpg

_________________
VE7SHM//VE7ZJ

Moderator


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:54 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:03 pm
Posts: 1207
Are planning on playing any games (going to match, like the Outlaw Rimfire Precision Series By Tesro)
- https://outlawrimfire.com/

If so, make it a 22lr.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 2:15 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:34 pm
Posts: 304
Location: 'round the corner from "the museum"
.22lr every time, the others you are better off with a .223


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 2:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:25 am
Posts: 50
Location: New Brunswick
sillymike wrote:
Are planning on playing any games (going to match, like the Outlaw Rimfire Precision Series By Tesro)
- https://outlawrimfire.com/

If so, make it a 22lr.


Thanks for that, looks like NB is the only maritime province, I’ll read more about it and maybe go the 22LR route.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 2:54 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:25 am
Posts: 50
Location: New Brunswick
lauchlin wrote:
I have them all and 17hmr would be my pick it dose every thing the other two will do just better but rounds cost more but i don't care .
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Marlin-XT17.jpg


I’m interested in the 17 HMR but a quick look online it seems there’s not much around, Cabela’s online and The Gun dealer close to me doesn’t have much. Is it due to the current supply issues? I will check locally at CT and see what they have.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2005 6:52 pm
Posts: 8394
Location: Vancouver Island BC
AlCap wrote:
lauchlin wrote:
I have them all and 17hmr would be my pick it dose every thing the other two will do just better but rounds cost more but i don't care .
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Marlin-XT17.jpg


I’m interested in the 17 HMR but a quick look online it seems there’s not much around, Cabela’s online and The Gun dealer close to me doesn’t have much. Is it due to the current supply issues? I will check locally at CT and see what they have.


The Marlin is what i shoot but it seems more people like the savage it has a better trigger so i hear ....

_________________
VE7SHM//VE7ZJ

Moderator


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:04 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:25 am
Posts: 50
Location: New Brunswick
lauchlin wrote:
AlCap wrote:
lauchlin wrote:
I have them all and 17hmr would be my pick it dose every thing the other two will do just better but rounds cost more but i don't care .
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Marlin-XT17.jpg


I’m interested in the 17 HMR but a quick look online it seems there’s not much around, Cabela’s online and The Gun dealer close to me doesn’t have much. Is it due to the current supply issues? I will check locally at CT and see what they have.


The Marlin is what i shoot but it seems more people like the savage it has a better trigger so i hear ....


Sorry I meant to say the ammunition’s.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2022 3:35 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2022 2:34 pm
Posts: 14
Location: East End of Toronto, ON
jckstrthmghty wrote:
Generally and very briefly

22lr for most versatility.
22 WMR for more punch.
17HMR if you want no challenge stacking shots and blow small game to pieces.

22LR is the cheapest and most avaliable of those choices. My buddy has a RPR in 22lr, loves it.


Have to agree - I have Savages in both 22LR and 17HMR
In my opinion, 22LR is a lot more fun. As it presents the challenge of stacking shots.
17HMR ends up making a small hole consistently, but there isn't a challenge as it has a higher velocity, shoots flatter, and is better at long range for varmint shooting.

Great article below if you want to read up a bit more
https://www.mcarbo.com/17-HMR-vs-22LR

_________________
Proud Supporter of the CCFR


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 12:12 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:30 pm
Posts: 6
I have the same Savage in .22WMR and .17HMR, both heavy barrel V guns, 5 Rugers in .22 LR(10/22,all built for accuracy, they bred in my safe, dont ask, lol) 4 other very accurate .22LR bolt actions.

If I was to pick ONLY one rimmy fire....hands down, the .17HMR, hits everything I point it at out to 150 yards no problem, but I do love the challenge of .22LR and cheap to run.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:24 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:27 am
Posts: 2705
Location: Winnipeg, Canada
Some interesting opinions here.

FWIW, Final factory test distance for the Win 52 was 200 yds, and that's in .22L/R.
Houze's book lists some pretty tight group sizes as well.
.22L/R should stack easily- especially with the after market bbls available for the 10-22, and others.

My main interest with rimfire has always been small game edibles- grouse and rabbits etc.
I have yet to be presented with a 200 yard shot on those, which I seriously doubt I would attempt, anyways.
I'd go for the .22, just based on the high quality available ammunition choices that abound for it.

-D.S.

_________________
"Ain't no half-way"
-S.R.V.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:59 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:35 pm
Posts: 9250
Location: P.G. B.C.
The HMR is hands down the most accurate over longer ranges. Even the cheap heavy barrel Marlin I had would make 1", 5-shot groups at 200yards.
This is a 5-shot group from my Martini on a changing wind day. Says 5mph wind - 8kms.
A .22 LR is more effected by the wind than the HMR.
The middle target is not mine and was shot with a CZ 452 in HMR.


Attachments:
Left side Martini .17HMR.JPG
Left side Martini .17HMR.JPG [ 100.44 KiB | Viewed 101 times ]
cz452.17HMR varmint 100yds.jpg
cz452.17HMR varmint 100yds.jpg [ 3.92 KiB | Viewed 101 times ]
17HMR Group.JPG
17HMR Group.JPG [ 70.68 KiB | Viewed 103 times ]

_________________
Best Wishes
Daryl


Last edited by Daryl on Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 5:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:37 pm
Posts: 1005
Location: Edmonton,AB.
If your having difficulty choosing,get the CZ with all three barrels.
Problem solved :mrgreen:
Unfortunately,the cost of having to buy all that ammo will kill your credit card :axe:

_________________
When you have to shoot,shoot!Don't talk!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:11 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:35 pm
Posts: 9250
Location: P.G. B.C.
HMR and WMR ammo is quite expensive these days. I still have about 2,000 rounds of HMR ammo for when we hit the gophers again.

_________________
Best Wishes
Daryl


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
News News Site map Site map SitemapIndex SitemapIndex RSS Feed RSS Feed Channel list Channel list

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group

phpBB SEO