Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: New gun laws
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:26 pm 

Hello everyone. First post and a couple of questions. I'm thinking of getting a pistol, but I'm concerned with this new legislation regarding handguns. I've emailed the CFP and they said that the proposed changes have not been implemented, so there currently are no changes. I just wonder whether or not, I'd be wasting my money by buying one at this time. Secondly, I've been following the posts about non PAL rifles. I have recently renewed my PAL, so there should be nothing stopping me from buying a PAL rated rifle, should I decide to go that route? I've been a gun owner for many years, and I'd like to think that I know the laws regarding firearms, but air gun laws have me completely baffled. sorry for the long post, but I just want some clarification. Thanks. Ron

Post subject: Re: New gun laws
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 5:58 am 

Yep, the email reply you got is what situation we have so far...

For what the gov looking for, I can see eventually they just want NO guns at all in our hand. So couldn't say any 'investment' in any guns will be a waste of money but depends on the condition and how far you are ' foreseeing'... :(

Some other ppl thinking the different way... They buy everything they can still buy before it disappears from the store or gov no more allowing store owners to sell it...

Anyway, I don't know how come the gov allows drugs but forbid the airguns... Rediculous....

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 3:23 pm 

Am I wrong in stating that you must now get permission to buy a P.A.L., "firearms" class air rifle?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:50 am 

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/canada- ... -1.6015720

Canada is banning the importation of handguns, effective Aug. 19
OTTAWA -

The Canadian government is moving to ban the importation of restricted handguns, effective Aug. 19.

Public Safety Minister Marco Mendicino and Foreign Affairs Minister Melanie Joly announced Friday that the federal government has decided to push ahead with the importation ban without the approval of Parliament, moving to make the policy change through regulatory restrictions.

The measure will prevent "nearly all" individuals and businesses from importing handguns into Canada, the government says.

Joly and Mendicino said Friday the coming regulations will effectively speed up aspects of the planned freeze. The move is temporary though, with plans for it to remain in effect only until the previously-promised permanent importation ban is passed in Ottawa.

"This ban is a stopgap while the handgun freeze in its entirety moves through the parliamentary process, preventing shelves from being restocked in the immediate term," Joly said.

While the details of the coming regulatory restrictions have yet to be released, Joly said she will be enacting her authority as the foreign affairs minister, which allows her to deny any export or import permit application, citing security concerns.

"Working with Marco, we came up with this idea of creating this new system of requiring permits, but meanwhile, we will deny any permits from any commercial entity or people wanting to bring handguns to Canada," Joly said. "So this is how creatively we've worked, and that's why we're talking today about an import ban."

What is Bill C-21? A look at the proposed firearm legislation and its implications

In late May, the Liberals tabled Bill C-21, legislation which if passed would further restrict legal access to handguns in Canada. The bill includes a specific section that stops short of a complete ban, opting instead for a national "freeze" on the sale, purchase or transfer of handguns in Canada that allows current legal owners to keep theirs.

Bill C-21 also seeks to create systems to flag individuals who may pose a risk to themselves or others, and increase the maximum penalties for firearm-related offences such as firearm smuggling and trafficking.

The incoming regulations announced Friday will include "narrow exceptions that mirror those in Bill C-21," the government said.

Joly said that the Liberals have decided to do this because when Prime Minister Justin Trudeau announced Bill C-21, there was an "uptick" in guns being purchased in Canada, and handguns in particular.

"We want to prevent that. That is why we're announcing this import ban… We know that the vast majority of handguns in the country are imported, as there's no handgun producer in the country," Joly said.

The legislation is still in the early stages of moving through Parliament, with MPs set to initiate a committee study of the bill when the fall House of Commons sitting begins in late September.

On Friday, Mendicino reiterated his desire to see the legislation pass "as quickly as possible."

"I'm continuing to call on all MPs to read the bill, to study the bill and to put it into law as quickly as possible. We've made some good headway… Unfortunately, it's the Conservatives who continue to obstruct the passage of this bill," the minister said.

The Conservatives have routinely denied claims of stalling government bills, accusing the minority Liberal government of being inept managers of the legislative agenda.

In a statement reacting to the news, Conservative MP and public safety critic Raquel Dancho accused the government of "attacking business owners and law-abiding citizens."

“Instead of addressing the true source of gun crime in Canada, the Liberal government is unilaterally banning imports without parliamentary input, impacting a multi-billion dollar industry and thousands of retailers and small businesses, with very little notice," Dancho said. "Today’s announcement will do nothing to stop the flow of illegal handguns."

The Bloc Quebecois said Friday they welcome the decision, but lamented that action wasn’t taken immediately after Bill C-21 was announced to stem the flow of handguns into the country.

In a statement, Bloc MP and justice critic Rheal Fortin said more work needs to be done to combat gun crime, including tackling the number of handguns already in circulation in Canada through a handgun buyback program.

The Liberals are in the midst of implementing a gun buyback program, but it’s focused on as list of 1,500 various makes and models of what the government considers "assault-style" firearms.

According to the government, law enforcement agencies seized more than double the number of firearms at the border in 2021, compared to 2020.

The ministers suggested that from the moment the import restrictions come into effect, the number of handguns in Canada will only decrease, something gun control advocates are celebrating.

"A ban on imports will not end the purchase of handguns in Canada. However, this is a significant and creative measure that will unquestionably slow the expansion of the Canadian handgun market until Bill C-21 is adopted, hopefully this fall," said Nathalie Provost, a survivor of the 1989 Ecole Polytechnique shooting in Montreal, in a statement.

About:"According to the government, law enforcement agencies seized more than double the number of firearms at the border in 2021, compared to 2020."
IIRC, cross border travel was stopped in 2020. That alone would reduce the # of guns seized. As well, guns seized at the border are usually seized from non-informed US travelers.
Their wording does not say they caught double the number of attempted smuggled guns.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:17 pm 

I am not sure how many members here are actively fighting these measures taken by our Liberal government to disarm the legal populous of Canada. First it is hand guns and it has been said by some active groups that are challenging the government that they learned that semi-automatic and shot guns will be the next thing on their agenda after Bill C21 is passed.
I would encourage everyone to get involved in someway or another ie, signing and sharing petitions against these government measures, writing to your M.P.'s against Bill C21. Also as legal owners of any firearm we must educate and ensure the rest of the population that we are responsible and compliant with all laws and that we don't condone gun violence or the use of weapons aside from hunting and target practice. This has been the only thing I have been able to do but I would do more if I knew what to do. Maybe march on parliament if need be. We need to show the populous that this is an important part of Canadian Citizens' lives and heritage to allow the continued use of legal firearms.

I hope I didn't overstep my boundaries with this post.

Daisy Red Ryder .177
Crosman Pumpmaster 760 .177
Sig Sauer P228 .177

Always looking expand the collection....
VA3DEC

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:43 pm 

Can you imagine the statements...
Likes to work with parliamentarians but bypasses parliament...temporary measure UNTIL the permanent measure kicks in(temporary???)......a permit system BUT we won't issue permits....

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:44 pm 

I’ve heard that the firearms office is now filing applications from June. Meaning any restricted guns purchased now probably won’t be processed until next year. Keep that in mind. And if our so called ‘liberal’ government decides to stop all applications the purchaser will be out the firearm purchase cost as the dealer isn’t going to buy them back and take the loss. Buyer be ware!

Artemis CR600W .177
Diana Stormrider .177
Seneca Dragonfly MK2 .177

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:07 am 

Alberta Will Not Participate in Federal Efforts to Seize Prohibited Weapons

https://www.castanet.net/news/Canada/38 ... ed-weapons

"..The Alberta government is taking steps to oppose federal firearms prohibition legislation and the potential seizure of thousands of assault-style weapons.

Alberta Justice Minister Tyler Shandro says he received a letter from the minister of public safety asking for police resources to begin confiscating firearms beginning this fall..."

Tracey Wilson, CCFR

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:28 pm 

Yep ~ that's a hero in now a days~

~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:24 pm 

Saskatchewan is following Alberta's lead as well.

September 28, 2022

Saskatchewan Joins Alberta - No Provincial Resources for Fed Gun Grab

On September 27, Christine Tell, Saskatchewan Minister of Corrections, Policing and Public Safety, informed RCMP Assistant Commissioner Rhonda Blackmore that “the Government of Saskatchewan does not support and will not authorize the use of provincially funded resources for any process that is connected to the federal governments proposed ‘buy back’ of these firearms.”i

“The Government of Saskatchewan fully supports anti-crime initiatives,” Minister Tell said, “that truly focus on the issues related to the criminal use of illegal firearms, preventing and combatting gang violence and addresses the issue of illegal or smuggled guns in our province.”

“We do not and will not support initiatives that only impact the law abiding, RCMP vetted, hunters, sport shooters, ranchers, farmers and others who use firearms for lawful and good reasons.”

“That said, we will not authorize the use of provincially funded resources of any type for the federal government’s ‘buy back’ program.”

Saskatchewan’s Public Safety Minister Christine Tell and Alberta’s Justice Minister Tyler Shandro are unequivocal in their positions.

Provincially-funded RCMP personnel and resources will not be removed from the very real job of protecting and defending public safety in order to pander to the Liberal government’s useless virtue-signaling agenda.

These two provinces clearly comprehend what Justin Trudeau and his Liberal ship of fools do not: Focusing on federally-licensed, RCMP-vetted firearm owners while ignoring violent repeat offenders is ridiculous – deserving of ridicule – and will not be tolerated.

The CSSA thanks Ministers Shandro and Tell, Chief Firearms Officers Teri Bryant and Chief Firearms Officer Robert Freberg for their forward-thinking, hard work and dedication on behalf of the firearms owners of Alberta and Saskatchewan.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:02 pm 

Manitoba joins Sask and Alberta.
"Manitoba joins the party! - No Provincial Resources for Firearms Confiscations

On September 28, Kelvin Goertzen, Manitoba Minister of Justice and Attorney General, joined Alberta and Saskatchewan in stating that provincially-funded and grossly understaffed RCMP personnel will not pander to the federal Liberal government’s virtue-signalling agenda.

“We feel many aspects of the federal approach to gun crimes unnecessarily target lawful gun owners,” Minister Goertzen wrote, “while having little impact on criminals, who are unlikely to follow gun regulations in any event.”i

“In Manitoba’s view, any buy-back program cannot further erode precious provincial police resources, already suffering from large vacancy rates, from focusing on investigation of violent crime.”

Three provinces in three days are now on record stating they want their province’s contracted RCMP members focused on investigating violent crimes and the criminals who commit them, not playing collection agents for the Liberal government.

“We will be bringing these concerns,” Minister Goertzen wrote, “along with the shared concern of Saskatchewan and Alberta, directly to the federal government next month in meetings of Ministers of Justice and Ministers of Public Safety.”

Saskatchewan Public Safety Minister Christine Tell, Alberta Justice Minister Tyler Shandro and Manitoba Justice Minister Kelvin Goertzen are unequivocal in their positions.

Provincially-funded RCMP personnel and resources will not be removed from the very real job of protecting and defending public safety in order to pander to the Liberal government’s latest “gun control” whim.

These three provinces clearly comprehend what Justin Trudeau and his Liberal ship of fools do not: Focusing on federally-licensed, RCMP-vetted firearm owners while ignoring violent repeat offenders is ridiculous – deserving of ridicule – and will not be tolerated.

The CSSA thanks Minister Kelvin Goertzen and the entire Manitoba government for their forward-thinking, hard work, and dedication on behalf of the firearms owners of Manitoba.

The West is grateful for your support.

Doug Ford, where are you?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:59 pm 

These are very good news since the pandemic and the said 'gun control ' things!

Looking forward for Mr. Doug Ford to say something!

~Target~

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:26 pm 

Or the BC Premier - what's his name.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:58 pm 

You mean the guy that jumped the Q but really didn't(wink wink) for cancer treatment.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:37 pm 

4star60 wrote:
You mean the guy that jumped the Q but really didn't(wink wink) for cancer treatment.

;-)

Webley Viscount .177
Kral Mega Marine Walnut .22
Artemis PP750 .22
FX Streamline .22 walnut
FX Streamline .22 composite
FX Dynamic 500 .22