Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 3:11 pm 

Checking out at the store, the young cashier suggested to the much older lady that she should bring her own grocery bags, because plastic bags are not good for the environment,.

The woman apologized to the young girl and explained, "We didn't have this 'green thing' back in my earlier days."

The young clerk responded, "That's our problem today. Your generation did not care enough to save our environment for future generations."

The older lady said that she was right our generation didn't have the "green thing" in its day. The older lady went on to explain:
Back then, we returned milk bottles, soda bottles and beer bottles to the store. The store sent them back to the plant to bewashed and sterilized and refilled, so it could use the same bottles over and over. So they really were recycled.

But we didn't have the "green thing" back in our day. Grocery stores bagged our groceries in brown paper bags that we reused for
numerous things. Most memorable besides household garbage bags was the use of brown paper bags as book covers for our school books. This was to ensure that public property (the books provided for our use by the school) was not defaced by our scribblings. Then we were able to personalize our books on the brown paper bags.

But, too bad we didn't do the "green thing" back then. We walked up stairs because we didn't have an escalator in every store and office building. We walked to the grocery store and didn't climb into a 300-horsepower machine every time we had to go two blocks. But she was right. We didn't have the
"green thing" in our day.

Back then we washed the baby's diapers because we didn't have the throw away
kind. We dried clothes on a line, not in an energy-gobbling machine burning up 220 volts. Wind and solar power really did dry our clothes back in our early days.

Kids got hand-me-down clothes from their brothers or sisters, not always brand-new clothing. But that young lady is right; we didn't have the "green thing" back in our day.

Back then we had one TV, or radio, in the house -- not a TV in every room. And
the TV had a small screen the size of a handkerchief (remember them?), not a screen the size of the state of Montana.

In the kitchen we blended and stirred by hand because we didn't have electric machines to do everything for us.

When we packaged a fragile item to send in the mail, we used wadded up old newspapers to cushion it, not Styrofoam or plastic bubble wrap.

Back then, we didn't fire up an engine and burn gasoline just to cut the lawn. We used a push mower that ran on human power.

We exercised by working so we didn't need to go to a health club to run on treadmills that operate on electricity. But she's right; we didn't have the "green thing" back then.

We drank from a fountain when we were thirsty instead of using a cup or a plastic bottle every time we had a drink of water. We refilled writing pens with ink instead of buying a new pen, and we replaced the razor blade in a razor instead of throwing away the whole razor just because the blade got dull. But we didn't have the "green thing" back then.

Back then, people took the streetcar or a bus and kids rode their bikes to school or walked instead of turning their moms into a 24-hour taxi service in the family's $45,000 SUV or van, which cost what a whole house did
before the "green thing."

We had one electrical outlet in a room, not an entire bank of sockets to power a dozen appliances. And we didn't need a computerized gadget to receive a signal beamed from satellites 23,000 miles out in space in order to find the nearest burger joint.

But isn't it sad the current generation laments how wasteful we old folks were just because we didn't have the "green thing" back then?

Please forward this on to another selfish old person who needs a lesson in conservation from a smart buttock young person. We don't like being old in the first place, so it doesn't take much to piss us off...

Especially from a tattooed, multiple pierced smart buttock who can't make change without the cash register telling them how much

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 3:37 pm 

I wish there was a "Love" button for this.

Megiddo65

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:31 pm 

8) 8) 8)

SilentMan... :drinkers:

6mm
Not enough and to many.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:43 pm 

:thumb: :thumb:

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:29 am 

Very very good!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:24 pm 

Haha no doubt. So many people are completely clueless.
This is good I might just post it on Facebook :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:50 pm 

lol. nice one. brings back memories.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:16 pm 

killercrow wrote:
Haha no doubt. So many people are completely clueless.
This is good I might just post it on Facebook :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:27 pm 

Last sentence seemed unnecessary. I know lots of tattooed and multiple pierced young people that are great folks.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:06 pm 

Well......this one wasn't.............OK?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:33 pm 

4star60 wrote:
Well......this one wasn't.............OK?

Not really, but you carry on being you and I'll carry on being me.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 2:13 pm 

Maybe there is a point about "the green thing", but, who cares if someone has tattoos or piercings? It's their self-expression and body.

Also, the real problem with "the good old days" was the racism and bigotry. Back then being colored, lgbtq+, a woman, or anything like that, was way worse than it is, now. Remember there was a whole civil rights movement for a reason.

There's nothing wrong with getting old and being old at all, it's a natural process we all go through. However, it is also up to the older generation to realize and not ignore the negative aspects of "their day", but alas, nostalgia often comes through rose tinted glasses.

"I went to god just to see, and I was looking at me" - Marilyn Manson, "The Reflecting God" (1996).

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 4:07 pm 

I don't know man...if you watch Murdock mysteries some of Toronto was woke and had lgbtq+etc. friends and employees! :) Just like the indigenous good ole days that had no wars but healing rituals and "forgiveness" as their normal approach. :D :roll:

Yes it was tough on some but as white guy with Jewish, black, g, friends I am guilty I guess.

Anyway yes it was tough for a lot!!

Just so you know I have experienced a completely ignorant tatooed, pierced daughter of a friend working in retail and who cannot do simple math and told her mother she could tell the customers to f off because it was "her" store not theirs. even though she was minimum wage. Old guys have right to be upset with those.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 5:13 pm 

I'm not a big fan of SJW wokeness myself, however there is a difference between that and simply not being a bigoted fool who judges people off of race, appearance, religion, orientation, etc.

I'm not saying everyone from back then was racist, or homophobic, or whatever, there were lots of people who weren't and lots of people who fought for progress in that area. However, to pretend that it wasn't a problem would be foolish because it clearly was.

Yeah native history has wars and violence in it as well, all national histories seem to do, some more, some less, but all do.

Rose tinted glasses applies to all nostalgia, generally speaking change has both pros and cons, but I'd say generally there's more pros than cons, especially comparing 1950 to 2022, for example.

"I went to god just to see, and I was looking at me" - Marilyn Manson, "The Reflecting God" (1996).

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 5:53 pm 

Glad this is over 8)