Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:52 pm 

I have several .22 PCPs, including a tuned HW100KT. I'm looking for a notch up for shooting metallic silhouettes and other targets from 40 meters and up. The HW will stay on an 8 inch square at 145 meters, with enough energy from Crosman Premiere HP 14.3 gr to swing a steel plate. I have no desire to shoot slugs, but enjoy seeing how far waisted pellets can be made to perform.

I'm considering acquiring another HW100, in full length barrel, or another gun, probably FX Dreamline, but could be influenced as haven't been close to many other PCPs.

Thoughts? Recommendations for my use?

Note, I don't hunt, and shoot only at our club's range ~500 pellets per week, + .22 LR and a bit of other stuff.

Webley Viscount .177
Kral Mega Marine Walnut .22
Artemis PP750 .22
FX Streamline .22 walnut
FX Streamline .22 composite
FX Dynamic 500 .22

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 6:45 am 

Well i have owned a Streamline & a Dreamline.Streamline was very accurate,i had trouble with the mag's.They have now corrected that issue.The Dreamline,had air cylinder issue.Some were mfg.defects.But the damm thing leaked like a sift.I won't own one,but saying that.I tried a Crowne laminate[heavy].Those laminates are pretty ,but f--kin heavy.I own a an Impact 700mm barrel,very accuate.Also own a HW110THK,accurate.Bit of a pita,with mag's.Which i believe is the same for the HW100.If your going bench,my choice for your yardages.It would be the Impact. My .02 cents

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 2:48 pm 

Is your Kral Mega not a high performer. Mine has a lot of power and is very accurate out past 100 yds. I don't shoot any pellets that light out that far though. It sends the 23 gr slugs just under 900 fps making them a great long distance shooter.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 10:45 pm 

McRobert wrote:
Is your Kral Mega not a high performer. Mine has a lot of power and is very accurate out past 100 yds. I don't shoot any pellets that light out that far though. It sends the 23 gr slugs just under 900 fps making them a great long distance shooter.

My Mega does quite well, not not as accurate as the HW.

For example, @ 50 yards my Stormrider & Mega will make 100% hits on 3-1/2" disk Storm will make 80% (Storm has only a 3-9x32 BugBuster) hits on 2-1/8" disk, while Mega will make 100". Neither will make reliable hits on 1-5/8" disks while HW will make 100% on all of them. Neither Storm or Mega will make significant hits @ 100 meters, while the HW will do 100% on the 3-1/2", and a fair percentage on 2-1/8". Going from memory on the smaller disks.

Further out, the Mega doesn't compare at all.

Maybe other Mega will do better, and obviously a better shooter may, but I find that better or worse shooter simply reflects the same scores for each gun, at a higher or lower group size.

I have no complaints with the Mega, but it's half the price and IMO it wouldn't be surprising if the HW is a bit better.

I wish that there were more PCP shooters in this area to provide comparisons.

I will say that my Mega outperformed my Kervan Air Boss C5.

Webley Viscount .177
Artemis PP750 .22
FX Streamline .22 walnut
FX Dynamic 500 .22

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 10:55 pm 

Tallieho1 wrote:
Well i have owned a Streamline & a Dreamline.Streamline was very accurate,i had trouble with the mag's.They have now corrected that issue.The Dreamline,had air cylinder issue.Some were mfg.defects.But the damm thing leaked like a sift.I won't own one,but saying that.I tried a Crowne laminate[heavy].Those laminates are pretty ,but f--kin heavy.I own a an Impact 700mm barrel,very accuate.Also own a HW110THK,accurate.Bit of a pita,with mag's.Which i believe is the same for the HW100.If your going bench,my choice for your yardages.It would be the Impact. My .02 cents

Interesting that you don't care for the HW mags as I really like them, compared to the cassette mags in any of the other guns I've owned/tried. Chocolate/vanilla, LOL.

I appreciate the comments and will look at the Impact specs and reviews. As I said to McRobert, there ae few PCP shooters around here, SFAIK, to haven't the opportunity to compare guns.

OTOH, I've had very reliable recommendations from online folks.

Webley Viscount .177
Artemis PP750 .22
FX Streamline .22 walnut
FX Dynamic 500 .22

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2022 8:41 pm 

Tallieho1 wrote:

I'm curious about the perceived weight of the crown vs impact. On the FX website a 700mm M3 is 7.15lbs and laminate crown is 6.8lbs (GRS version is a hefty 9.6lbs). Maybe the regular laminate crown feels heavier due to weight balance vs impact?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:29 pm 

mikep wrote:
Tallieho1 wrote:

I'm curious about the perceived weight of the crown vs impact. On the FX website a 700mm M3 is 7.15lbs and laminate crown is 6.8lbs (GRS version is a hefty 9.6lbs). Maybe the regular laminate crown feels heavier due to weight balance vs impact?

That's pretty close in weight.Maybe the look of the impact,makes it seem lighter.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 10:47 am 

Location: Southern Gulf Islands, Beautiful British Columbia, Canada
Hello Normk,

Well I own all three myself, HW100, Streamline and Dreamline, in .22 calibre. These are excellent quality PCP Air Rifles, each with it's virtues and shortcomings. The magazine design of the HW100 is one of the best IMHO, and if one of the pellet positions is purposely plugged, one needn't keep track of the shot count, you will know when you come to the end.

All three are very consistent, accurate shooters as well, and finely crafted I might add. I'd say of the lot, the Dreamline is the most feature rich and ergonomically friendly, it's much lighter than the HW100, well regulated, has on-the-fly adjustable power and, the side-lever cocking design is superior to the HW100.

If you already own an HW100, it might be nice to have a Dreamline as a second shooter.

Of course, IMHO, a Daystate Revere trumps all of the above -if you're thinking about spending that kind of money on a new high-end PCP, I'd seriously consider the Daystate -not just another air rifle, but a true work of art.

Cheers!

Avianmanor

*Air Arms S510 Extra*Artemis M11 MK II*CZ 200S*Benjamin Marauder*Brocock Concept*Cometa Orion*Daystate Huntsman*Daystate Revere*FX Dreamline*FX Streamline*Hatsan BT65*Kral Puncher*Reximex RPA*QB78D*Weihrauch HW100S*Artemis PP700SA*PP750*Snowpeak CP1-M*

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 10:07 pm 

Avianmanor wrote:
Hello Normk,

Well I own all three myself, HW100, Streamline and Dreamline, in .22 calibre. These are excellent quality PCP Air Rifles, each with it's virtues and shortcomings. The magazine design of the HW100 is one of the best IMHO, and if one of the pellet positions is purposely plugged, one needn't keep track of the shot count, you will know when you come to the end.

All three are very consistent, accurate shooters as well, and finely crafted I might add. I'd say of the lot, the Dreamline is the most feature rich and ergonomically friendly, it's much lighter than the HW100, well regulated, has on-the-fly adjustable power and, the side-lever cocking design is superior to the HW100.

If you already own an HW100, it might be nice to have a Dreamline as a second shooter.

Of course, IMHO, a Daystate Revere trumps all of the above -if you're thinking about spending that kind of money on a new high-end PCP, I'd seriously consider the Daystate -not just another air rifle, but a true work of art.

Cheers!

Is that Dreamline Classic? I don't know the FX line at all. I'm also not drawn to "tactical look".
You have provided much useful information, thanks.

Avianmanor

Webley Viscount .177
Artemis PP750 .22
FX Streamline .22 walnut
FX Dynamic 500 .22

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2022 10:55 am 

Location: Southern Gulf Islands, Beautiful British Columbia, Canada
Normk wrote:
Is that Dreamline Classic? I don't know the FX line at all. I'm also not drawn to "tactical look".
You have provided much useful information, thanks.

All of my air rifles are "Classic", with Monte Carlo style wood stocks. Like yourself, I'm drawn to traditional cosmetics as opposed to tactical / bottle guns. Guess I'm "old school" - my Dad was a hunter and great outdoors-man, consequently I grew up with that style of gun, air rifles etc.

There are a multitude of choices out there these days for a quality PCP - but one can't go wrong with an FX. What truly amazes me with the Streamline and Dreamline, is not only the accuracy, but the consistency as well. On low power, you can see the pellets arc all the way to their target, hitting the mark time and time again (assuming no cross wind). Gun weight for bench rest shooting isn't really an issue, but if you're shooting standing / prone or carrying the rifle in the field, that difference in weight between the FX and the Weihrauch is significant.

Good luck with your selection!

Avianmanor

*Air Arms S510 Extra*Artemis M11 MK II*CZ 200S*Benjamin Marauder*Brocock Concept*Cometa Orion*Daystate Huntsman*Daystate Revere*FX Dreamline*FX Streamline*Hatsan BT65*Kral Puncher*Reximex RPA*QB78D*Weihrauch HW100S*Artemis PP700SA*PP750*Snowpeak CP1-M*

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2022 1:39 pm 

Just a bit of clarification .On my comment about the HW Mag's.My issue isnot with loading pellets into to it.But with the putting it into the gun.2 Levers.1 holds the breech open,then lift up ,onto i guess the locking pin/aligner.This is a very slight pain,thought i would mention

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:57 pm 

Just to show how wrong one can be, I added up all the factors, decided to acquire another HW100 but full length barrel, then couldn't get a commitment on some information, so ordered the Streamline.

If it turns out to be perfect, I'll likely add Dream, S510XS, Revere, or Dreamline later, maybe those and others. My response to stressful family events is to buy another gun. LOL

Thanks for the advice, and hoping that Streamline owners will fill in the gaps for me.

Webley Viscount .177
Artemis PP750 .22
FX Streamline .22 walnut
FX Dynamic 500 .22