Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2022 11:57 pm 

At the range today, and the trigger stopped latching, so disobeying long experience of not taking guns apart at the range, I pulled the stock, and found that the "L" shaped trigger spring plate #2740 and #2727 coil spring were in the bottom of the trigger housing. Some diagnosis of trigger operation, as haven't had to look into this gun in a long time, indicated that the cross pin #2721 had slid partially out of the left side of the trigger assembly housing, allowing the "L" plate do disengage. Subsequently, the spacer washer was discovered in the stock.

The pin is a slip fit, non-interference, I applied Blue Loctite into the clearance on both sides, then a cyno glue across each end. Hopefully that solved the problem.

I haven't been able to figure out how to post photos, here, but if anyone is interested I can link to a Dropbox file.

Has anyone else experienced this issue?

Webley Viscount .177
Kral Mega Marine Walnut .22
Artemis PP750 .22
FX Streamline .22 walnut
FX Streamline .22 composite
FX Dynamic 500 .22

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 6:22 pm 

I don't have a HW100 :( so haven't experienced the issue, but on quite a few rifles I have a similar floating pin trigger mechanism. In all cases, the trigger housing or the stock provide what's necessary to prevent the pins from sliding out. It could be yours was not installed fully or something and allowed it to fall out inside the stock. I just can't see HW designing a flaw like that into the trigger. Anyhow, the locktite/super glue is a temporary fix, maybe it will hold long term, but it would be better to find out what's going on and do a proper fix. If you want help posting pics send me a PM and maybe I can fix you up with that.
:drinkers:

))))----//----------==

Iacio, ergo sum

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2022 3:12 pm 

Dukemeister wrote:
I don't have a HW100 :( so haven't experienced the issue, but on quite a few rifles I have a similar floating pin trigger mechanism. In all cases, the trigger housing or the stock provide what's necessary to prevent the pins from sliding out. It could be yours was not installed fully or something and allowed it to fall out inside the stock. I just can't see HW designing a flaw like that into the trigger. Anyhow, the locktite/super glue is a temporary fix, maybe it will hold long term, but it would be better to find out what's going on and do a proper fix. If you want help posting pics send me a PM and maybe I can fix you up with that.
:drinkers:

IDK how to post photos here, perhaps someone can explain?

I would appreciate a conversation regarding this issue, as it may address some aspect which I have overlooked.

As for the stock retaining the pins, the side clearance is far too great to accomplish this. I agree that it is a production oversight which is very strange, being obvious.

*Note: I will go back to my posts to see if I mistakenly stated that the pin fell out. It did not fall out of the trigger group, because there is, as you cautioned, insufficient space for the pin to slide out to the side, before contacting the stock.

Further clarifying, what did happen is that the pin slid out far enough for the side spacer washer (#2741a) to come out of place and fall out, ditto the L shaped lever (#2740).

It is obvious that the pin must be an interference fit into the trigger housing (#2712a), which it is not.

I acquired this used, from a member in Ontario, who is a mechanical trade technician, and our conversations assured me that he is very aware and competent, so IDK the cause, but entertain no idea that something he did is the root cause.

OTOH, the gun was "repaired" by a warranty and repair depot, from which the service was so poor that I will never patronize them again. The problem appeared subsequent to this work, however I understand that correlation is not causation. They may have caused the problem by increasing the size of the hole, installing a worn or undersize pin, however I have no evidence so will not entertain that they are responsible.

Repeating, I know, but I have trouble imagining that any competent manufacturer would fail to take this eventuality into account, so am seeking a more probable cause/solution.

I neglected to measure the pin (#2721) diameter, or the hole, but the fit is so close that my internal measurements will lack sufficient accuracy to be pertinent. Perhaps someone has a pin diameter?

I have included photos and some notes in this Dropbox folder: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/zjcvmrfkdver ... fJZxa?dl=0

Apologies for any confusion on my part, and again that I don't know how to post photos directly.

Webley Viscount .177
Artemis PP750 .22
FX Streamline .22 walnut
FX Dynamic 500 .22

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2022 5:53 pm 

Normk wrote:
...and again that I don't know how to post photos directly.

Photos are a bit tricky, usually they are too big and that's the problem.
I made a short video tutorial. Would you be the Guinea pig and try to follow it and post a photo or two? If it is easy to follow, I'll suggest it as a sticky to help other members who have similar issues.
https://youtu.be/HW7YJeoj2Rc

All the best, Duke

))))----//----------==

Iacio, ergo sum

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2022 9:42 pm 

Dukemeister wrote:
Normk wrote:
...and again that I don't know how to post photos directly.

Photos are a bit tricky, usually they are too big and that's the problem.
I made a short video tutorial. Would you be the Guinea pig and try to follow it and post a photo or two? If it is easy to follow, I'll suggest it as a sticky to help other members who have similar issues.
https://youtu.be/HW7YJeoj2Rc

All the best, Duke

IDK about the "Guinea" part, but my wife keeps saying that I need to lose weight.

Oops, message says that the video is private.

Webley Viscount .177
Artemis PP750 .22
FX Streamline .22 walnut
FX Dynamic 500 .22

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 6:03 am 

Normk wrote:
Oops, message says that the video is private.

My bad, it should be viewable now.

))))----//----------==

Iacio, ergo sum

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 4:52 pm 

Has anyone tried/information on the effects of locating the HW100 trigger spring into the rearward lever hole, and rearward notch?

Indicated by green line.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9aicrh6yv989z ... n.jpg?dl=0

Attachments:
Screenshot 2022-09-13 054351.png
Screenshot 2022-09-13 054351.png [ 1.1 MiB | Viewed 398 times ]

Webley Viscount .177
Artemis PP750 .22
FX Streamline .22 walnut
FX Dynamic 500 .22

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 4:58 pm 

The video looks to be straight forward. I might give it a try. Thanks!

Webley Viscount .177
Artemis PP750 .22
FX Streamline .22 walnut
FX Dynamic 500 .22