Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 7:35 am 

It looks much better now (B_7), and the pellets go in smoothly and evenly, no more shaving.

For now I’m pretty much done with the rifle, I need to shoot it to see about the accuracy and general ’’behavior’’. But I still want to re-visit the trigger, and also I’d like to improve the underlever latch, the sights and maybe even re-finish the stock, so this story is not over yet!

More to come.

Attachments:
B_7.JPG
B_7.JPG [ 28.07 KiB | Viewed 4160 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 10:23 am 
Site Moderator

Nice work! Thanks for walking us through the steps with all the detailed pics. Much appreciated. I'm glad your barrel has no tight spots. It should be a great shooter!

As you mentioned, the jungle wood is quite soft. It doesn't take much to get a small ding in the exterior. To harden up the inletting I used a few tubes of SuperGlue from the dollarstore. I use the cut-off fingers of a nitrile glove to apply. Slip finger sleeve on index digit to distribute the glue. Apply a drop directly onto inletting and quickly "paint" it on with a wipe of the finger. Slowly work through all the inletting without using too much glue so it doesn't run onto the exterior. Let it soak in a few minutes and do a second and maybe third coat in porous areas. I also careful did the stock screw holes using a q-tip to quickly smooth out the glue. You end up with a hard surface that won't absorb oils or moisture.

I shot a 5-pellet group last night with my WF-600 from 10 metres. A front sandbag was used but nothing at the buttstock. One pellet went a bit to the right but the group still measured 1/4" ctc. This was with the cheapo H&N Sport pellets. With a more secure rest arrangement I've had some smaller groups than this.

I'm looking forward to hearing what you use for optics on the WF. Ideally you want a scope that's about 9" to 10.5" in length. I'm just using a cheapo CenterPoint 4X (terrible glass) but it's 10.5" long. I was going to try an 8" compact scope but the grooves in the WF receiver don't extend to the very back of the tube. This will likely put the scope a bit further forward than I want.

Attachments:
WF-600 @10m 001.JPG
WF-600 @10m 001.JPG [ 292.81 KiB | Viewed 4157 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 2:26 pm 

Airmec, thanks heaps for doing this work so well, and for showing it so well too. I'm inspired.

I got one of these rifles about a year and a half ago when I was getting into the hobby. I feel rather guilty, it's been living in the closet for many months now.

I had been working on it. And got some nice, custom-machined parts and some other goodies from Ricksplace. Very generous of him (cheers Rick!). The parts included the nice Rear Spring Guide and some spacers. Some of the spacers have seen duty in my Cometas.

Yeah, I was working on my WF all that time ago, trying to smooth it out and make it accurate. I was having some success. But the trigger was not nice and my efforts there just made it worse. It became unshootable. And I also had just got a good, used Crosman Optimus that was very much more rewarding to work on and shoot. The WF has been languishing ever since. But yes, I'll be reviewing your good trigger work.

There is hope. I dragged my rifle out and had a look at it when I was following your work here. And I got a replacement front sight / lever clip from CSS recently (see photo), when I was buying something else. Yes, I broke my first one before realizing I didn't have to snap the underlever like closing a break barrel. I don't know when I'll be ready to work on it though. I'm having great fun shooting and working on the Cometas.

There's something else. I enjoyed seeing the welding / brazing work you did. I was curious about which processes you used. I had done a lot of welding in school. I had been thinking of getting some kind of welding setup for years, there are often small things to repair or fabricate. Again, inspired by your work, I happened to see that C Tire had their basic MIG machine for 50% off. I bought it, no hesitation. I've already done some household repair, I'm getting ready for the more detailed work on air rifles. Sorry, no plans for the WF but the Cometas need work. Augmenting a Front Spring Guide, for one. And the ends of cocking levers, as you've done here.

Thanks Airmec.

Attachments:
IMG_1147 copy.JPG
IMG_1147 copy.JPG [ 172.56 KiB | Viewed 3944 times ]

.177 Cometa Fusion, Vantage 3-9x40
.177 Cometa Fenix LT, Endurance 4-16x50
.22 Cometa Fenix, Airmax 3-9x40